Mark Andrews

Default Left speaker doesn't always work

I've got a 10 year old sony receiver connected to 2 home made speakers
and the left side speaker doesn't always work. Sometimes when i turn
the receiver on, there's no sound coming from that speaker, but if i
greatly increase the volume, it springs to life. I tried switching the
left and right speakers, but still experience the same problem.

The speakers have no internal electronics like crossovers, and i'm
wondering
if that's the main cause of the problem. They work fine with a 25 year
old 40watt Kenwood amp.

Thanks for any clues.
John A. Weeks III

In article , Mark
Andrews wrote:

I've got a 10 year old sony receiver connected to 2 home made speakers
and the left side speaker doesn't always work. Sometimes when i turn
the receiver on, there's no sound coming from that speaker, but if i
greatly increase the volume, it springs to life. I tried switching the
left and right speakers, but still experience the same problem.

The speakers have no internal electronics like crossovers, and i'm
wondering
if that's the main cause of the problem. They work fine with a 25 year
old 40watt Kenwood amp.

If you swap the left and right speakers, and the left one still
does not work, then it isn't a speaker problem. It could be wiring.
Try swapping the right and left speaker wire at the amp end. If
the problem swaps sides. But more than likely, you are losing one
of the amplifier channels. With a 10 year old amp, and moving the
volume control fixes it, I suspect that you have dirty controls.
Try cleaning the controls with a good spray control cleaner.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Jerry G.

You didn't mention the model number of the receiver. If there is a safety
relay, check that the contacts are not intermittent. I have had this with
many safety relays in various amplifiers. If this is not the fault, or your
receiver does not employ a safety relay, check for loose connections, dirty
switches or controls, or a cold solder connection. It is also possible that
there is a failing component that is going intermittent.

In most cases, I have had the safely relay go defective (where one was
used).

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

"Mark Andrews" wrote in message
om...
I've got a 10 year old sony receiver connected to 2 home made speakers
and the left side speaker doesn't always work. Sometimes when i turn
the receiver on, there's no sound coming from that speaker, but if i
greatly increase the volume, it springs to life. I tried switching the
left and right speakers, but still experience the same problem.

The speakers have no internal electronics like crossovers, and i'm
wondering
if that's the main cause of the problem. They work fine with a 25 year
old 40watt Kenwood amp.

Thanks for any clues.

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
ATP3 left speaker dead M Garelick Tech 3 July 3rd 04 11:14 AM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
Comments about Blind Testing watch king High End Audio 24 January 28th 04 04:03 PM
Speaker cables Nousaine Pro Audio 1 July 25th 03 11:46 AM