Mean_Chlorine

Default High-End Tube Audio Transformers Available

Thusly George M. Middius Spake Unto All:

Works for me as well. First off, I am using Firefox (George and Arny can
choke on it - keep using IE boys, it's got more holes than a sieve).

You miss the point. Are you a 'borg?

Fascinating, I've never seen *anti* MS people called "borg" before.

Mean_Chlorine

Thusly George M. Middius Spake Unto All:

You miss the point. Are you a 'borg?

Fascinating, I've never seen *anti* MS people called "borg" before.

You've missed the point again.

No, I just ignored it.

God, newbies are tiresome.

Live long and prosper, dude. Live long and prosper.

mick

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:23:50 -0500, George M. Middius wrote:

snip

Different people might have different (and equally valid) measures of how
software performs for each of them.

Case in point: IE has unique features that I value. Firefox and Opera
(which have very similar UIs, as far as I can tell) work differently, and
to my taste, not as well.

snip

Care to list them please?
I've been looking at alternative browsers for some time now. The only
thing that I *definitely* like about IE is that it is a browser that tends
to work moderately well on most web sites. That is only because a lot of
web sites are not written in standard HTML and include Microsoft-specific
features. IMHO it isn't one of the best browsers to use and feels
decidedly "dated" when compared against many others. I would be interested
in your views on IE.

Incidentally, my current choice is Firefox. This because I can run the
same program (well - not really, but you know what I mean!) at work under
Windows and at home under Linux. It makes life easier!

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

dave weil

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:59:52 -0500, George M. Middius
wrote:

mick said:

Case in point: IE has unique features that I value. Firefox and Opera
(which have very similar UIs, as far as I can tell) work differently, and
to my taste, not as well.

snip

Care to list them please?

Why, so you can argue with my own personal preferences?

I've been looking at alternative browsers for some time now. The only
thing that I *definitely* like about IE is that it is a browser that tends
to work moderately well on most web sites. That is only because a lot of
web sites are not written in standard HTML and include Microsoft-specific
features. IMHO it isn't one of the best browsers to use and feels
decidedly "dated" when compared against many others. I would be interested
in your views on IE.

Incidentally, my current choice is Firefox. This because I can run the
same program (well - not really, but you know what I mean!) at work under
Windows and at home under Linux. It makes life easier!

Maybe you can help me with a problem since you seem well up on the
intricacies of browsers. Go to www.allmusic.com and search for a song
title. You get back a list of matches. Each item on the list is supposed
to be a link to a detail page. I've tried it in 3 different browsers and
none of them detects the links. I looked at the code and it's
javascript. I verified my javascript (security) settings are compatible.
The only other cause I can think of is a security program. The latest
windows patch is a super-nanny on security. I also have Norton but I set
it to allow everything on allmusic.

Did you know that you have to be a member of allmusic now to access
the links? If not, all you have to do is go register for free. That
should fix your problem. They started this several months ago.

I've been using Firefox more and more because IE seems very dicy with
java. I've gotten more than my share of javascript errors with IE and
everytime I try it with Mozilla, it seems to work just fine. An
example is from yesterday when I tried to download the owner's manual
for my Canon 10D from Canon's site. I couldn't do it with IE but
Firefox had no problem whatsoever.

Of course, I've now gone and downloaded Java from Sun, so we'll see if
that addresses the problem. The frustrating thing is that IE works
SOMETIMES and doesn't work other times.
dave weil

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:42:46 -0500, George M. Middius
wrote:

dave weil said:

Maybe you can help me with a problem since you seem well up on the
intricacies of browsers. Go to www.allmusic.com and search for a song
title. You get back a list of matches. Each item on the list is supposed
to be a link to a detail page. I've tried it in 3 different browsers and
none of them detects the links. I looked at the code and it's
javascript. I verified my javascript (security) settings are compatible.
The only other cause I can think of is a security program. The latest
windows patch is a super-nanny on security. I also have Norton but I set
it to allow everything on allmusic.

Did you know that you have to be a member of allmusic now to access
the links? If not, all you have to do is go register for free. That
should fix your problem. They started this several months ago.

Yes, I know that, and I registered.

That's weird (not that you registered, that is).

I just tried it and it works fine in IE.

Have you downloaded java directly from Sun? You might give it a try.
So far, it seems to have done the trick on sites where I've had
trouble in the past, but I never had trouble with allmusic in the
first place.

mick

mick said:

Case in point: IE has unique features that I value. Firefox and Opera
(which have very similar UIs, as far as I can tell) work differently,
and to my taste, not as well.

snip

Care to list them please?

Why, so you can argue with my own personal preferences?

Nope - I promise not to argue! I'm just a nosy bu***r... :-)

[...]

Works fine here, no problem at all. The links highlight properly and link
through correctly.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

dave weil

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:52:32 -0500, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

dave weil said:

I've been using Firefox more and more because IE seems very dicy with
java. I've gotten more than my share of javascript errors with IE and
everytime I try it with Mozilla, it seems to work just fine.

I tried allmusic again and now it works with Firefox, but still not with
IE. There is a topic about this in allmusic's help, but the instructions
it gives for customizing your IE security settings are nonsense. Maybe
that's a subtle hint about which browser they like.

Do you have "disable script debugging" set in your advanced options?
That might help.

example is from yesterday when I tried to download the owner's manual
for my Canon 10D from Canon's site. I couldn't do it with IE but
Firefox had no problem whatsoever.

Funny ... I also have a Canon and I was able to download the pdf fine
with IE.

It's weird, innit?

I'm sure these problems are all microsoft's fault.

But of course!

dave weil

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:22:27 -0500, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

dave weil said:

I just tried it and it works fine in IE.

Have you downloaded java directly from Sun? You might give it a try.
So far, it seems to have done the trick on sites where I've had
trouble in the past, but I never had trouble with allmusic in the
first place.

Did that too. In fact I have a parasitic "java runtime" program that
frequently demands I get updates from Sun.

I think the problem is most likely "windows security". IE has a bunch of
settings but it lacks any explanation of how to use them. I have them
all set pretty low. Only one of them is at "don't allow".

Microsoft: The "two steps forward, three steps back" company.

At least it works in firefox now.

Funny thing is that just in the past couple of days, I've noticed IE
"hanging up" so bad on occasion that I was wondering if there was some
virus out there affecting servers.

Did you have problems with allmusic before this week?
Adam Stouffer

George M. Middius wrote:

Maybe you can help me with a problem since you seem well up on the
intricacies of browsers. Go to www.allmusic.com and search for a song
title. You get back a list of matches. Each item on the list is supposed
to be a link to a detail page. I've tried it in 3 different browsers and
none of them detects the links. I looked at the code and it's
javascript. I verified my javascript (security) settings are compatible.
The only other cause I can think of is a security program. The latest
windows patch is a super-nanny on security. I also have Norton but I set
it to allow everything on allmusic.

Works on IE6, and Firefox 1.0. Its you.

Adam