Andy

Default Rotel 985BX Protection light on = no sound?

Hi-
I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the protection
circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are fine--nothing changed).
Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect the speakers to both A and B
inputs, and then I removed the speakers from the inputs. Still, protection
is killing the sound.

Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of paying a
repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on the chasis...are
there any internally that could have popped?

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy

Barry Mann

In w76jd.1064$vH3.572@trndny06, on 11/06/04
at 03:31 PM, "Andy" said:

Hi-
I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the
protection circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are
fine--nothing changed). Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect
the speakers to both A and B inputs, and then I removed the speakers
from the inputs. Still, protection is killing the sound.

Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of
paying a repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on
the chasis...are there any internally that could have popped?

These units are very reliable, but anything can break. Perhaps the
output transistors were manufactured on a pre holiday Friday afternoon
and someone wanted to get out early.

There are internal fuses that can blow of you push the unit too hard.
If you replace the fuses, be sure to replace them with the same type.
If the replacement fuses blow immediately, take the unit in for
service, don't keep inserting new fuses -- your luck won't change, but
the damage may get worse.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Andy

Thanks for the tips. Could be my 2 year old turned the amp on and off again
a few times, causing a fuse to go. I'll open the amp up and see if there are
any obvious blown fuses.

Andy

om...
at 03:31 PM, "Andy" said:

[...]

Andy

Just an update, and a Thanks to Rotel!

I called Rotel and they told me to send the amp back to them for service.
They said they would check it out, and call me with an estimate. I shipped
the amp to them mid-November. Since mid December was approaching, I was
going to give them a call and ask what was going on with my amp. That same
day, the amp came back, fully repaired and cleaned. The bill - ZERO! They
listed new fuses, and a re-bias, as a Waranty repair!!

The amp is at least 7 years old...and they fixed it for free. There aren't
many companies like Rotel around anymore--what a great company that stands
behind their products!

Thanks Rotel!!

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi-
I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the
protection circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are
fine--nothing changed). Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect the
speakers to both A and B inputs, and then I removed the speakers from the
inputs. Still, protection is killing the sound.

Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of paying
a repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on the
chasis...are there any internally that could have popped?

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy

surround sound causes receiver to go to protection RCK Tech 10 April 17th 04 01:42 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
hearing loss info Andy Weaks Car Audio 17 August 10th 03 08:32 AM
radio kaput - light but no sound NJ Beach Bum Car Audio 2 July 9th 03 11:40 PM
Light is on but no sound McDon McDonald Car Audio 1 July 5th 03 07:19 PM