Mike Rivers

Default Question about M-Audio Omni problem

In article et writes:

I have a stand-alone pre-amp has a convenient knob that lets me output
either a mic-level signal or a line-level signal over the balanced XLR
output. When I run a balanced mic-level signal to the XLR inputs of either
Line 1 or 2's pre-amp, everything sounds sort of fine. However, when I run
a balanced line-level signal through the TRS jacks of either Line 3 or 4, I
get a considerable loss of bass signal among other tonal-differences (I'm
recording a bass guitar). It really sounds to me like the Omni isn't
handling the balanced signal correctly and there's inappropriate signal
cancellations going on.

It's not a cancellation thing, but it might be a wiring thing. Did you
build the cable that you're using to go from the preamp to the line
inputs on the Omni? Or do you know how it's wired? Is it XLR-TRS, or
XLR-TS? There are several possibilities for wiring a cable like this,
none of them clearly standard, and some of which may be incorect for
your particular set of outputs and inputs.

Open up the connectors and see how it's wired.

Is there any reason to believe that M-Audio paid more attention in designing
the main lines of the Omni, and neglected inputs less likely to be used?

No, other than that they probably put an additional stage of
amplification on those that can accommodate microphones. It's possible
that the "line" inputs aren't actually balanced, and that can affect
certain balanced output configurations (but not others).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
TNKS

[...]

Hmm, the cable I'm using is a Monster Cable StudioLink 500 XLR-TRS
interconnect. I just unscrewed the connectors off on both ends to see the
wiring. It's as follows:

Pin 1 - Sleeve (looks to be a ground line)
Pin 2 - Tip (it's a white wire)
Pin 3 - Ring (it's a black wire)

It's true that the A/B test I described above, my XLR-XLR cable was a Studio
Pro 1000 cable (higher end). It's possible that I'm just noting the
difference between the two cables. If that's the case, then I'm really
impressed with the SP1000. But I'm not convinced that that's the case.

Also, I'm still really interested in how people think the Aardvark 24/96
matches up against the M-Audio Omni Studio. I just heard someone say that
the ADCs are better in the M-Audio line. Anybody here have any opinions?

Thanks,
TNKS