Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Indeed. Alas, there isn't a similar acronym for 4-pole. TRRS anyone?

It's usual just to talk about the pin size (eg 3.5mm) and the number of
connectors. So a 4 pole, 3.5 mm plug is common on video camera's for
example.
Not a major problem that I can see. You do need to be a bit more careful
when describing the pin connections though I guess. TRRS certainly wouldn't
help there!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering \(jw\) RST Engineering \(jw\) is offline

In the power/low frequency signal world, the sex of the connector is
determined by the outer shell. Female shells are sockets or jacks (ever
wonder why a female shell is a jack and not a jill?). Male shells are
plugs.

In the RF world, the sex of the connector is determined by the center pin.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
m...
In the power/low frequency signal world, the sex of the connector is
determined by the outer shell. Female shells are sockets or jacks (ever
wonder why a female shell is a jack and not a jill?). Male shells are
plugs.

Citation?

Since *many* connectors use the same *shell* for male and female, it would
be rather a pointless definition IMO.
So what exactly differentiates a female cord mount phone "jack" *shell* from
a male phone plug *shell* then?
And your differentiation between male and female D connector cord shells
would be really interesting to know.
(everyone else considers them identical)

Or is it just your definition of *shell* that is non standard?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
john john is offline

On Mon 23-Mar-2009 22:41, Michael A. Terrell
wrote:

Andre Majorel wrote:

Don't have any usage statistics handy but I know that when I
read "phono" I have to stop and think what it might be.
Creative spelling for "phone jack" ? The actual device ?
Something else ? Oh, you meant an "RCA" or "Cinch" ? Why not
write that, then ?

Other than the fact that RCA developed the connectors for its
add on 45 RPM record changers? They sold radios with the
mating connector, and added a switch to the existing radio
designs so people could buy the changer, only if they needed
it. Cinch had nothing to do with the original connector
design.

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Why should we pander to those with feeble minds?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
john john is offline

On Tue 24-Mar-2009 01:29, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"Paul B" wrote in message
With XLR connectors, there are male and female connectors but
it is the female connector which is inserted into the male
one.

No, when describing connectors as male or female, it is the
conductor pins that define it. The pins of a male XLR "insert"
into the sockets of a female, regardless of whether they are
cord or panel mount. Trying to insert a socket "into" a pin
would require more than a big hammer
:-)

MrT.

He quoted the Wiki. Maybe that's wrong?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xlr-connectors.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common as dirt.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

--

So a 1/4" Jack is female? Funny ladies you've known........

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common as dirt.

I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test equipment.
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...erator_web.jpg

What was that called ??

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common as dirt.

I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test
equipment.
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...erator_web.jpg

What was that called ??

greg

That looks like an F connector.

S.

-
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Serge Auckland" wrote ...
"GregS" wrote ...
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common as dirt.

I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test
equipment.
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...erator_web.jpg

What was that called ??

That looks like an F connector.

It is rather larger than an F connector. The outside threads
are 5/8 inch x 27 TPI (same as the US microphone stands)
And IIRC, that connector was originated by Amphenol.
Here is info about the Switchcraft versions...
http://www.switchcraft.com/products/connectors-53b.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko Rich the Newsgroup Wacko is offline

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:40:35 +0000, Serge Auckland wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

So a 1/4" Jack is female? Funny ladies you've known........

The Yang can hang, or go In to the Yin. ;-)
http://z.about.com/d/taoism/1/0/0/-/-/-/yinYang.gif

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common as dirt.

I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test
equipment.
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...erator_web.jpg

What was that called ??

That looks like an F connector.

It is rather larger than an F connector. The outside threads
are 5/8 inch x 27 TPI (same as the US microphone stands)
And IIRC, that connector was originated by Amphenol.
Here is info about the Switchcraft versions...
http://www.switchcraft.com/products/connectors-53b.html

Yes, I remember I have seen those, but can't think of the name. Switchcraft
2501 doesn't trip off the tongue lightly.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"john" wrote in message
On Tue 24-Mar-2009 01:29, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:
No, when describing connectors as male or female, it is the
conductor pins that define it. The pins of a male XLR "insert"
into the sockets of a female, regardless of whether they are
cord or panel mount. Trying to insert a socket "into" a pin
would require more than a big hammer
:-)

He quoted the Wiki. Maybe that's wrong?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xlr-connectors.jpg

That photo clearly states the male on right, so would agree with my
statement surely?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test
equipment.

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...Signal-Generat
or_web.jpg

What was that called ??

That looks like an F connector.

Nope, looks more like a PL259.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Stephen D. Barnes Stephen D. Barnes is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
john wrote:

[...]

Back in the day, we used to order them as Amphenol MC
connectors. You can still get 'em today.

--
Regards,
Stephen D. Barnes
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test
equipment.

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...Signal-Generat
or_web.jpg

What was that called ??

That looks like an F connector.

Nope, looks more like a PL259.

Some people would cut most of the center pin off a PL259 and use it
with a 'microphone connector'. Not a good idea, but they bragged about
saving 50 cents on the right plug, by destroying a $1.25 plug.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Stephen D. Barnes" wrote:

Back in the day, we used to order them as Amphenol MC
connectors. You can still get 'em today.

Amphenol sold that line off to WPI several years ago, and it looks
like Cooper Group bought that product line and renamed it COOPER
INTERCONNECT. A lot of older Amphenol products were dropped each time.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

fudgee logic wrote:

Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
adapters:

(1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
"phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.

(2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?

I've heard of a cable with male at one end and female at the other as an
extension cable.

Your #2 could be called a female to female adapter cable.

--
Paul Hovnanian
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:06:48 +1100, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
I don't know who made it. One connector that was dirt common, was
that screw on connector with center push against contactor. Seems like
most old amateur radio microphones used to use it, as well as test
equipment.

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...Signal-Generat
or_web.jpg

What was that called ??

That looks like an F connector.

Nope, looks more like a PL259.

---
Nope, a PL259 is an Amphenol series UHF connector.

What it is is an Amphenol 80-75-MC1F and what screws onto it is an
80-75-PC1M.

JF

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
john john is offline

On Wed 25-Mar-2009 18:06, Michael A. Terrell
wrote:

john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common
as dirt.

That's my point too! .... that the "RCA phono" connector was so
common that it could be called "RCA" almost unambiguously.

On the other hand, "RCA" probably wouldn't be the correct formal
name if there were other RCA connectors.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

john wrote:

RCA probably developed several connectors. If one says "RCA"
then I imagine that is just a short form of "RCA phono".

Then show us another connector from RCA that became common
as dirt.

That's my point too! .... that the "RCA phono" connector was so
common that it could be called "RCA" almost unambiguously.

Do whatever you want, but some of us stick to proper names. I deal
with vendors who use the proper nomenclature when I need parts. I think
that if they don't know the proper name, they don't really know what
they are selling.

On the other hand, "RCA" probably wouldn't be the correct formal
name if there were other RCA connectors.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

Well I've certainly heard them called RCA jacks. Maybe they meant the
mating part ?

Just to confuse you, in the UK the 1/4" guitar style connector is called a
'jack plug'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

So a 1/4" Jack is female? Funny ladies you've known........

Entirely possible. I got a pop-up on some web page to a 'ladyboy' site. You
would never have told they were male with their clothes on, some looked very
attractive in fact.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:48:29 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Just to confuse you, in the UK the 1/4" guitar style connector is called a
'jack plug'.

Well that's ok. It is a plug that goes into a jack - adjective and
noun. No problem.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Serge Auckland wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

So a 1/4" Jack is female? Funny ladies you've known........

Entirely possible. I got a pop-up on some web page to a 'ladyboy' site.
You
would never have told they were male with their clothes on, some looked
very
attractive in fact.

Graham

If you ever go to Paris, (France, not Texas) and you drive along the Bois de
Boulogne at night, there's a whole display of Lady-boys there. Stunning
women even though they're definitely boys.

This thread has moved away from Jacks........

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:59:17 -0000, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:

If you ever go to Paris, (France, not Texas) and you drive along the Bois de
Boulogne at night, there's a whole display of Lady-boys there. Stunning
women even though they're definitely boys.

This thread has moved away from Jacks........

Apparently now it is about Jacques. Just look at their feet - size
nines are always a dead giveaway.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

If you ever go to Paris, (France, not Texas) and you drive along the Bois
de
Boulogne at night, there's a whole display of Lady-boys there. Stunning
women even though they're definitely boys.

This thread has moved away from Jacks........

Apparently now it is about Jacques. Just look at their feet - size
nines are always a dead giveaway.

Too busy looking elsewhere....Boys don't have to wear tops in the
street........

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in
:

This thread has moved away from Jacks........

Unless you count One Eyed Jack's.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Apparently now it is about Jacques. Just look at their feet - size
nines are always a dead giveaway.

Nope, there are women who have bigger feet than that. (and men with smaller
feet of course)
The first thing to look for is the Adams apple, but that's not foolproof
either :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Don Pearce" wrote ...
Apparently now it is about Jacques. Just look at their feet - size
nines are always a dead giveaway.

Nope, there are women who have bigger feet than that. (and men with
smaller
feet of course)
The first thing to look for is the Adams apple, but that's not foolproof
either :-)

"Crocodile Dundee" had his own foolproof method in the movie.
(Although you are likely to get assulted for trying that method. )
But those Australians really know how to get right to the bottom
line. No foolin' around or guessing. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Crocodile Dundee" had his own foolproof method in the movie.
(Although you are likely to get assulted for trying that method. )

Or arrested.

But those Australians really know how to get right to the bottom
line. No foolin' around or guessing. :-)

Of course he was the only one who didn't already know :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko Rich the Newsgroup Wacko is offline

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:51:00 +0000, Eeyore wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote
No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

So a 1/4" Jack is female? Funny ladies you've known........

Entirely possible. I got a pop-up on some web page to a 'ladyboy' site. You
would never have told they were male with their clothes on, some looked very
attractive in fact.

And, what the hell, a blow job's a blow job! ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/24/2009 1:21 PM Eeyore spake thus:

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably
Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and affiliated countries a Phono plug,
in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

No; jack is female, plug is male. So either a RCA plug or a phono plug.
Please don't let's further confuse gender here.

Well I've certainly heard them called RCA jacks. Maybe they meant the
mating part ?

Just to confuse you, in the UK the 1/4" guitar style connector is called a
'jack plug'.

That's because it's the plug that plugs into the jack, silly! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Listening dome for convention [email protected] Pro Audio 1 March 22nd 06 03:57 PM
Car audio mute leads ?? Jon Car Audio 2 August 23rd 05 04:45 PM
History of XLR gender convention Hal Laurent Pro Audio 38 March 25th 05 09:44 PM
Breaking News From the Democratic Convention Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 0 July 27th 04 10:41 PM
DBX rack mount adaptors. Kevin Rogers Marketplace 0 July 14th 03 01:40 AM