Ben

Default What amp for Rockford RFP3212 Sub

I'm pretty picky when it comes to my home audio(B&W/Rotel), but for the
car, since the area you fill sound with is much smaller I've always thought
that I wouldn't need as much. The sub I wanted to be decent(though I
originally planned on only 1 and will only use 1 if you think I can wing
it). So I got the Rockford Fosgate RFP3212 Punch 400w/800w subwoofer
driver for $35 locally.

What would be a good amp to use for this subwoofer and please let me know
of any recommendations you have when putting together a compact/liesure
system to compliment this subwoofer -- I've never done anything serious
with car audio besides jerry-rig budget systems together.
MZ

I'm pretty picky when it comes to my home audio(B&W/Rotel), but for the
car, since the area you fill sound with is much smaller I've always thought
that I wouldn't need as much. The sub I wanted to be decent(though I
originally planned on only 1 and will only use 1 if you think I can wing
it). So I got the Rockford Fosgate RFP3212 Punch 400w/800w subwoofer
driver for $35 locally.

There's never any reason to use more than one subwoofer in a car. If it's
not enough for you, then you could always get a "bigger" one (read: higher
power handling, to handle a larger amplifier). So don't let anyone tell
you any different.

What would be a good amp to use for this subwoofer and please let me know
of any recommendations you have when putting together a compact/liesure
system to compliment this subwoofer -- I've never done anything serious
with car audio besides jerry-rig budget systems together.

There are about a million of them out there that will suit your needs. Do
you have a more specific question?
Ben

MZ wrote in
:

What would be a good amp to use for this subwoofer and please let me
know of any recommendations you have when putting together a
compact/liesure system to compliment this subwoofer -- I've never
done anything serious with car audio besides jerry-rig budget systems
together.

There are about a million of them out there that will suit your needs.
Do you have a more specific question?

Which amp should I use for it to achieve pretty good sound considering this
sub model and the Rockford Fosgate name? I may go with a high-rated Sony
Explode rear and front system with maybe a Pioneer deck. I just want to
make sure the sub is powered good.
Chad Wahls

"Ben" wrote in message
MZ wrote in
:

What would be a good amp to use for this subwoofer and please let me
know of any recommendations you have when putting together a
compact/liesure system to compliment this subwoofer -- I've never
done anything serious with car audio besides jerry-rig budget systems
together.

There are about a million of them out there that will suit your needs.
Do you have a more specific question?

Which amp should I use for it to achieve pretty good sound considering
this
sub model and the Rockford Fosgate name? I may go with a high-rated Sony
Explode rear and front system with maybe a Pioneer deck. I just want to
make sure the sub is powered good.

I've always been a fan of "get it done with one amp" amps. Multi channel
amps cut down on install time and often times space consumed. If it's a
simple system I would go that route. I bought a NOS MTX amp that had 4
class AB channels and a class D sub channel, I love it, super simple, sounds
great and is efficient.

Chad

Ben

"Chad Wahls" wrote in
:

I've always been a fan of "get it done with one amp" amps. Multi
channel amps cut down on install time and often times space consumed.
If it's a simple system I would go that route. I bought a NOS MTX amp
that had 4 class AB channels and a class D sub channel, I love it,
super simple, sounds great and is efficient.

Chad

What's the model number for that.

Chad Wahls

"Ben" wrote in message
"Chad Wahls" wrote in
:

I've always been a fan of "get it done with one amp" amps. Multi
channel amps cut down on install time and often times space consumed.
If it's a simple system I would go that route. I bought a NOS MTX amp
that had 4 class AB channels and a class D sub channel, I love it,
super simple, sounds great and is efficient.

Chad

What's the model number for that.

MTX PRO400X5 Pretty old units. I bought mine B-stock almost exactly 1 year
ago. Works flawlessly, well built inside, does not run too hot, and I got a
killer deal.

Cadence also used to make neat multi channels, you may want to check their
line, and a/d/s always has something to offer in the category.

I went with a 5 channel because I biamped my seperates, If you have no need
to do this then a 4 channel with 2 channels bridged to the sub may pull it
off for you.

I just find it more cost effective in terms of money and space to use one
amp, some think I'm crazy but it aleviates the need for power distro blocks,
wacky crossover wiring if you do not have built in crossovers, and generally
saves space.

Good luck let us know your conclusion.

Chad

MZ

MTX PRO400X5 Pretty old units. I bought mine B-stock almost exactly 1 year
ago. Works flawlessly, well built inside, does not run too hot, and I got a
killer deal.

Cadence also used to make neat multi channels, you may want to check their
line, and a/d/s always has something to offer in the category.

I went with a 5 channel because I biamped my seperates, If you have no need
to do this then a 4 channel with 2 channels bridged to the sub may pull it
off for you.

I just find it more cost effective in terms of money and space to use one
amp, some think I'm crazy but it aleviates the need for power distro blocks,
wacky crossover wiring if you do not have built in crossovers, and generally
saves space.

I'm not a big multichannel fan. Rarely does the power distribution suit
my needs. It also doesn't leave much room for a piecewise upgrade. The
MTX one you mentioned seems ok, considering it has a class D 5th channel.
But I don't believe a/d/s/ makes such an animal.
Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

I think you are right, I have never seen a/d/s do a class D design. But one
could get a 6 channel and bridge two to get a sub channel. I guess I should
have added that I do not do a bunch of upgrades, I buy what I need and
pretty much run with it. I also forgot to state that the last install and
newest future install (new car) have been very cramped for space. I have
found that if you shop around long enough you can find the right power
spread, just can't go down to the local chain store and impulse buy

Chad

Ben

"smoove" wrote in
:

A BD500.1 fosgate amp will do just fine.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been looking at the Rockford Fosgate
amps. I will compare their amplifiers in your suggested quality/price
range and let you guys know what I've come up with(might not be for
awhile).

Ben

Ben wrote in
:

"smoove" wrote in
:

A BD500.1 fosgate amp will do just fine.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been looking at the Rockford
Fosgate amps. I will compare their amplifiers in your suggested
quality/price range and let you guys know what I've come up with(might
not be for awhile).

I'm considering this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=39737&item=
5767586293&rd=1

Model 501S

What does dual 4 ohm mean as far as connection with this amp? How would I
hook it up properly; I'm not used to this dual 4 ohm thing. Does this mean
one single subwoofer can take both amplifier outputs cause it to drop to a
smaller ohm rating?
smoove

You can run your sub wired for a 4Ohm load and run the amp bridged to 1
channel. That should be more that enough power.

Rockfosgate has a wiring wizard on thier website you can use.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp
Power to Ohm load of the amp
a.. 125 W X 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
a.. 250 W X 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
a.. 500 W X 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS

"Ben" wrote in message
Ben wrote in
:

"smoove" wrote in
:

A BD500.1 fosgate amp will do just fine.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been looking at the Rockford
Fosgate amps. I will compare their amplifiers in your suggested
quality/price range and let you guys know what I've come up with(might
not be for awhile).

I'm considering this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=39737&item=
5767586293&rd=1

Model 501S

What does dual 4 ohm mean as far as connection with this amp? How would I
hook it up properly; I'm not used to this dual 4 ohm thing. Does this
mean
one single subwoofer can take both amplifier outputs cause it to drop to a
smaller ohm rating?

Ben

"smoove" wrote in
:

You can run your sub wired for a 4Ohm load and run the amp bridged to
1 channel. That should be more that enough power.

Rockfosgate has a wiring wizard on thier website you can use.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp
Power to Ohm load of the amp
a.. 125 W X 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
a.. 250 W X 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
a.. 500 W X 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought originally. Thanks
again.

- Ben