john.moyer

Default Ford Mach 460

Does anyone know the details of Ford's Mach 460 system. I have a 01 Mustang
GT Conv. and I am trying to figure out what to do with upgrading the system.

What I don't like: Tweaters play loud, but not clear. There is serious
listener fatigue. Poor imaging. They just don't sound very accurate. The
woofers in the doors and in back put out a decent amount of bass, but it is
muddy, and doesn't reach low enough for my liking.

If anyone knows, could you please post the system specs, here is what I
know:

Head unit: 6 disc (in-dash) I think it is made by Visteon. CD's get stuck.

Front Speakers: 5x7 lower front door (? Ohm) powered by one of two amps
under the back seat.

Rear Speakers: 6.5" (?Ohm) powered by one of two amps under back seat

Front and Rear Tweeters: 2.5" (?Ohm) powered by amp under the head unit.

If you remove the factory speakers, is there factory speaker wiring that can
be re-used? ... or do you really have to gut the whole system.

Has anyone upgraded their Mach 460?

Scott Johnson

best thing to do is gut the whole system. BTW, i think the rear speakers are
5x7 also.

I'd make a set of 6.5" component speakers go into the front doors and maybe
throw in some 2 ways in the back. wire up a 10" sub for some bass.

"john.moyer" wrote in message
[...]

john.moyer

Scott,
Yeah, I think I need to gut it. The sound I am looking for is punchy, but
not bass that can be heard a mile away. I like highs that have a bright and
strong crash (probably metal domes) to them, but not too harsh.

The rears in the convertible are 6.5 round. I think the coupe uses the oval
5x7. The only 5x7 separates that I could find were made by Kicker (not sure
how good their "non-subwoofer speakers sound"). For the fronts: if I fit
6.5 separates in the doors, are you impressed with any certain model or
brand. I realize that I could buy some Focals or MB Quarts, but I don't
want to spend that kind of money. I was thinking about trying to fit some
6.5" subwoofers (maybe JL) in the rear speaker locations. I don't think
that I will need tweeters in the back (any opinions on that?). I am
hesitant to put a sub in the trunk because I am already hurting for trunk
space. Do you think I would get much bass out of two good 6.5" subs. The
fronts and rears would both have to be amped. I do have two amps sitting
around though.

John

"Scott Johnson" wrote in
message ...

Mach 5 help! Catfish Pro Audio 0 May 12th 04 05:55 AM
What is the wattage of a standard Ford Radio? Midnight Moocher Car Audio 3 April 26th 04 07:34 PM
Ford "Mach" Audio System John Bennett Parker III Car Audio 1 March 27th 04 10:15 PM
98 Ford Escort AM Fm Cassette Stero autopaintbuyer Car Audio 0 March 24th 04 01:27 AM
Ford Premium Sound CD install in a car that doesn't come with Premium Sound? James Piper Car Audio 0 July 30th 03 04:32 AM