JstBngIt

Default Dual 1 Ohm Voice cables

I just Orderd a pair of SoundStream Tarantula T4 12" subs and they are
dual 1 ohm. Does that mean that they can be wired for .5ohm and 2ohm?

--
JstBngIt
JstBngIt's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32550

Scott Johnson

yes

"JstBngIt" wrote in message
news:1105406418.9742c160ed1abb5fbf9129c43815a3e4@t eranews...

I just Orderd a pair of SoundStream Tarantula T4 12" subs and they are
dual 1 ohm. Does that mean that they can be wired for .5ohm and 2ohm?

--
JstBngIt
JstBngIt's Profile:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32550
View this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=208958

jw007

Wow..the specs on those drivers are really impressive. 18ga voice coil
windings!
What are you planning to use for an amp?
Remember if you parallel those down to 1/2 ohm, then bridge you amp
mono, the amp will see half the load....1/4ohm. I've been out of the
business for a while, but thinking back, I can't remember a 1/4 ohm
stable amp.
Jason

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:40:28 +0000, JstBngIt
wrote:

I just Orderd a pair of SoundStream Tarantula T4 12" subs and they are
dual 1 ohm. Does that mean that they can be wired for .5ohm and 2ohm?

Dark1

"jw007" wrote in message
Wow..the specs on those drivers are really impressive. 18ga voice coil
windings!
What are you planning to use for an amp?
Remember if you parallel those down to 1/2 ohm, then bridge you amp
mono, the amp will see half the load....1/4ohm. I've been out of the
business for a while, but thinking back, I can't remember a 1/4 ohm
stable amp.
Jason

I think autotek made one way back, and I know for a fact american bass made
one not so long ago, a guy showed me the label on his that said so (I think
their VFL 150.1 is now, like 2ft long 150w @ 1ohm?).. but they sure are few
and far between..

Dark1

"Dark1" wrote in message

"jw007" wrote in message
Wow..the specs on those drivers are really impressive. 18ga voice coil
windings!
What are you planning to use for an amp?
Remember if you parallel those down to 1/2 ohm, then bridge you amp
mono, the amp will see half the load....1/4ohm. I've been out of the
business for a while, but thinking back, I can't remember a 1/4 ohm
stable amp.
Jason

I think autotek made one way back, and I know for a fact american bass
made one not so long ago, a guy showed me the label on his that said so (I
think their VFL 150.1 is now, like 2ft long 150w @ 1ohm?).. but they sure
are few and far between..

sorry.. @ 4ohm.. would make it in the 2400w area @ 1/4.. sounds about right
for a class D of those dimensions..
http://www.americanbassusa.com/amp_34.html

Kirby

I know Harrison Labs' prototype was .25 ohms. Although it pushed a rated 20
000 watts R.M.S. That model was the Drag Queen. I can not find any more
information about it, but I have found a little about the Drag King.
http://www.hlabs.com/compamps/. No power ratings, but the amplifier cn take
up to 1/16 of an ohm.

wrote:

I just Orderd a pair of SoundStream Tarantula T4 12" subs and they are
dual 1 ohm. Does that mean that they can be wired for .5ohm and 2ohm?

Dark1

"Kirby" wrote in message
I know Harrison Labs' prototype was .25 ohms. Although it pushed a rated 20
000 watts R.M.S. That model was the Drag Queen. I can not find any more
information about it, but I have found a little about the Drag King.
http://www.hlabs.com/compamps/. No power ratings, but the amplifier cn
take
up to 1/16 of an ohm.

calling the drag queen an amp is a bit of a stretch..lol..

JstBngIt

Right now i just have a MTX 6500 Class D (250 x 1 @ 4ohm,500 x 1 @ 2ohm
RMS) witch is not anything special, its just what i had running to my
old kickers. soon as i get the money i will get something more
powerfull (possibly the tarantula amp from soundstream). Do i have to
run them at 4 ohm, or is there a way to drop it to 2 ohm?

--
JstBngIt
JstBngIt's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32550
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=208987

Scott Gardner

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:20:13 +0000, JstBngIt
wrote:

Right now i just have a MTX 6500 Class D (250 x 1 @ 4ohm,500 x 1 @ 2ohm
RMS) witch is not anything special, its just what i had running to my
old kickers. soon as i get the money i will get something more
powerfull (possibly the tarantula amp from soundstream). Do i have to
run them at 4 ohm, or is there a way to drop it to 2 ohm?

You don't have to use both voice coils on both speakers. Just use
one coil from each speaker, and wire them in series for a 2-ohm
overall load. Power handling will be reduced some, but not halved.

Scott Gardner