Posted to rec.audio.tech
Leah

Default Digital Voice Recorder transfer

I need to transfer digital voice recordings (roughly 10 minutes in
length) from an Olympus digital voice recorder to my computer. I
contacted the company and there is no direct way to do this, because it
is not a "pc" model. However, I know there is a way to draw these
files off. I've heard of both a jump cable and other types of
connectors. What is the best way to do this, and where do I plug the
equipment in on my computer (laptop). Where can I purchase this
equipment? Will I need to download any new types of software or will
my computer read the device as an external drive once I plug it in?
Clearly I am a novice at this type of equipment, so any advice would be
appreciated (and small, user friendly terms are also a good bet
considering I get mighty confused...) Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article .com, "Leah" wrote:
I need to transfer digital voice recordings (roughly 10 minutes in
length) from an Olympus digital voice recorder to my computer. I
contacted the company and there is no direct way to do this, because it
is not a "pc" model. However, I know there is a way to draw these
files off. I've heard of both a jump cable and other types of
connectors. What is the best way to do this, and where do I plug the
equipment in on my computer (laptop). Where can I purchase this
equipment? Will I need to download any new types of software or will
my computer read the device as an external drive once I plug it in?
Clearly I am a novice at this type of equipment, so any advice would be
appreciated (and small, user friendly terms are also a good bet
considering I get mighty confused...) Thanks!

I bought a PC model and have no problem. Comes with software and
cable.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

You could connect the headphone output of the recorder (if it has one) to
"line in" of your sound card, then proceed as in
www.covingtoninnovations.com/audio/digitizing.

"Leah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to transfer digital voice recordings (roughly 10 minutes in
length) from an Olympus digital voice recorder to my computer. I
contacted the company and there is no direct way to do this, because it
is not a "pc" model. However, I know there is a way to draw these
files off. I've heard of both a jump cable and other types of
connectors. What is the best way to do this, and where do I plug the
equipment in on my computer (laptop). Where can I purchase this
equipment? Will I need to download any new types of software or will
my computer read the device as an external drive once I plug it in?
Clearly I am a novice at this type of equipment, so any advice would be
appreciated (and small, user friendly terms are also a good bet
considering I get mighty confused...) Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On 13 Apr 2006 06:53:47 -0700, "Leah" wrote:

I need to transfer digital voice recordings (roughly 10 minutes in
length) from an Olympus digital voice recorder to my computer. I
contacted the company and there is no direct way to do this, because it
is not a "pc" model. However, I know there is a way to draw these
files off. I've heard of both a jump cable and other types of
connectors. What is the best way to do this, and where do I plug the
equipment in on my computer (laptop). Where can I purchase this
equipment? Will I need to download any new types of software or will
my computer read the device as an external drive once I plug it in?
Clearly I am a novice at this type of equipment, so any advice would be
appreciated (and small, user friendly terms are also a good bet
considering I get mighty confused...) Thanks!

You're making this impossible by not telling us (a) what model it is
or even (b) what connection ports it has.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Leah

I suppose you're right, I hadn't even thought of that. The model is an
Olympus digital voice recorder, model number VN-1000. It has a
microphone jack and an earphone jack. As far as what the computer has,
it looks like I have a headphone jack, a mic, and some usb ports. Any
hints?

Leah

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Leah

Thanks for the help! One more question: what type of chord should I
use and how do I plug into the line in on my sound card? Not sure how
to find that on the exterior of my computer.

Leah

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

You'll need to look at your computer's instruction book. If possible, use a
cord with appropriate connectors to go from the headphone jack to the "line
in" socket of your sound card.

If all you have is a microphone input, you can get an attenuating cord.
With a plain cord the headphone-level signal would be too strong.

See http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...igitizing.html. I know it doesn't
look relevant, but scroll down.

ups.com...