Morfious

Default Which crossover should I use? Amp/Headunit or both?

My current setup in a Jeep Wrangler:
Pioneer DEH-740 MP Head Unit
Cadence Z4000 4 ch Amp (75 x 4)
Pioneer TS-C130 5 1/4" components up front
Pioneer TS-A1357 in rear soundbar
Kicker impulse IX402 bridged Mono driving
1 10" JL 10W0 in the back

Now my question is which crossover should I use? The Cadence 4 chan
amp is set to high pass and pushes the front component set as well as
the rear 5 1/4 speakers. There is an screw adjustment for crossover
frequency in the amp. My head unit also has a crossover built into it.
It was my understanding that it was not a good idea to run multiple
crossovers or to cross over an already crossed signal. The way I have
it set up now is the amp is runing with the crossover frequency set at
its lowest point and the head unit set to 80. This 80 Hz crossover
point is for both the front and rear outputs. I have 3 options (125,
80 or 60). It is my understanding that the amp is pushing out the full
frequency and the head unit is crossing over the signal. Is this the
best way to set things up or should I have the amps crossover turned on
as well? Any info or guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
"Morfious" wrote:

[...]

Use whichever one seems to work best but not both.
Scott Gardner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:07:25 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article .com,
"Morfious" wrote:

[...]

You can even use both crossovers for some added flexibility, as long
as you're careful and think about the settings. Here's one example:

Use the head unit's crossover to send everything from 80 Hz and below
to the sub amp, and everything above 80 Hz to the four-channel amp.

Run the subwoofer amp full-range, since the input you're feeding it
from the head unit is already properly low-passed.

Then, use the high-pass crossover on the four-channel amp, and set it
to 100 Hz or so. This way, there will be a gap in your frequency
response between 80-100 Hz, which corresponds to the natural cabin
gain for some vehicles. "Gapping" the frequencies by using crossovers
in series can be an easy way to fix a bump in your frequency response
curve if the bump occurs near your desired crossover point.

Scott Gardner

Morfious

Thanks for the input. I haven't really gotten into tweaking things
more than setting the gains on the amps properly. The new dash mounted
tweeters really make a difference in staging. Sounds like the artits
are on my dashboard instead of just sitting in my Jeep somewhere.

"Gapping" the frequencies by using crossovers
in series can be an easy way to fix a bump in your frequency response
curve if the bump occurs near your desired crossover point.

I'm not so sure how gapping will effect me since I'm in a Jeep
Wrangler that has it's top off as much as possible in the summer time.
When the top is down, all my sound escapes and the bass almost totally
disappears. With the Hard top on though it knocks! (and doesn't rattle
everything). My system goes thump, not buzzzzz.

Run the subwoofer amp full-range, since the input you're feeding it
from the head unit is already properly low-passed.

As for running the sub amp full range vs low pass, what or how is that
a benefit? I understand that there is not a need for the amp's
internal crossover if the head unit is only sending it the bass signal,
I just want to learn more about this great hobby.