Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] brianthiede@hotmail.com is offline

Default Woofer High-Pitched Squeal

All of the sudden recently the subwoofer in my '01 Sentra started
making a high pitched beep/squeal/squeak noise. I tried fiddling with
the wire harness and sometimes it will go away for a period of time,
but it has always come back. I have just disconnected the speaker for
now.

Is the speaker shot and need to be replaced, or could it be the wiring
or something else that I may be able to fix?

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Jan 29, 3:12 pm, wrote:

All of the sudden recently the subwoofer in my '01 Sentra started
making a high pitched beep/squeal/squeak noise. I tried fiddling with
the wire harness and sometimes it will go away for a period of time,
but it has always come back. I have just disconnected the speaker for
now.

Is the speaker shot and need to be replaced, or could it be the wiring
or something else that I may be able to fix?

As I'm sure you're probably aware, speakers do not themselves make
noises, particularly of the "beep/squeal/squeak" type. Usually, a
noise coming from the speaker itself (and not from the signal applied
to it) would be described as "scratching" (i.e. the voice coil rubbing
against the side of the magnetic gap).

You indicated that you fiddled with a wiring harness...is that the
wiring harness for an amp? your head unit? your ignition? There are
lots of wire harnesses in a car...please be more specific.

Without any further information, the only educated guess I could take
is that somewhere in your signal chain you've either got a blown
component or your ground is faulty. You might want to hold off on
using the radio altogether, since pulling the wires off the speaker
could be just about as helpful as putting a band-aid over a gunshot
wound (i.e. you're only making things worse, even though Mikey Mouse
tells you he's got your boo-boo covered).

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Jan 30, 9:21 am, Matt Ion wrote:

Make sure there's not a mouse trapped in your sub box?

That makes me wonder if the solution to the problem isn't, perhaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] brianthiede@hotmail.com is offline

Nope, no mice (or anything that needs to be exorcised). The wire
harness I am talking about is the one connected to the speaker that is
making the noise - when I jiggled it around, the beep would stop
momentarily sometimes.

On Jan 30, 12:42 pm, "D.Kreft" wrote:
On Jan 30, 9:21 am, Matt Ion wrote:

Make sure there's not a mouse trapped in your sub box?

That makes me wonder if the solution to the problem isn't, perhaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article .com,
says...

Nope, no mice (or anything that needs to be exorcised). The wire
harness I am talking about is the one connected to the speaker that is
making the noise - when I jiggled it around, the beep would stop
momentarily sometimes.

On Jan 30, 12:42 pm, "D.Kreft" wrote:

On Jan 30, 9:21 am, Matt Ion wrote:

Make sure there's not a mouse trapped in your sub box?

That makes me wonder if the solution to the problem isn't, perhaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

-dan

From your description it sounds like arcing in the wire I.E. an
intermittant short. You might try putting a meter on each lead of the
wire to ground, with opwer off, and move it around and see if you get a
varying resistance.

OOPS...That should be with power off. Must be the computer :-)

Must be... try posting your next reply with the power off