antgel

Default upgrade thoughts

Hi all,

I've not posted before. My current system is an Arcam Alpha 8 CD, 9
integrated amp, Monitor Audio Studio 5/7 speakers (don't remember the
exact model), REL Q100E sub. I feed DVD sound through it as well, but
don't care that much what cinema performance is like. Most of my
listening is CD's - many types of rock, prog, mainly pretty raw stuff.

I've had this setup for about 8 years. I remember in the auditions it
wasn't necessarily the most focused or tightest, but I liked it's
presentation a lot, and still do.

I'd like to upgrade it without breaking the bank. I've thought about
getting a second-hand Alpha 9P to bi-amp the speakers (which are currently
biwired). Is this going to make much difference? They seem to go for
about £150.

Alternatively, are there any other upgrades that could be good value?
And lastly, if I did want to upgrade cd/amp/speakers en-bloc, where
would one look for a system in the same vein as what I have now? Is
current Arcam stuff any cop? I know that Naim have the coolest boxes. :P

What quality of "raw" is lacking in your current gear that making some
change would improve it? This is not a theoretical or trivial or
rhetorical question. Aside from new speakers which have an appearence
that you find pleasing, the one item you did note, how can one advise
toward some goal when it is not known/expressed? Recalling some difference
in "focus and tightness" before, it did not seem a goal, just a
difference. Excuse my uninformed question, with all that "raw" going on,
what part of the music wasn't being reproduced with "focus and tightness"
that could be percieved as part of the "raw" performance? What is
"presentation", is it something to do with creating a believable audio
illusion in physical space?

[...]

Uptown Audio

I would not waste time with trying to feed those speakers more power,
but replace them. There are a lot of good brands that can be heard,
but you need to listen to them yourself. We selected JM Lab, Tannoy
and ReVox as primary brands here and find no fault with them. The
Arcam source and amplifier is sufficient to drive these and others
with no trouble. A speaker swap should yield a considerable
difference. All of these brands and others such as Kef and Rega are
available for you to hear in the UK.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"antgel" wrote in message
[...]

What comp. set part to upgrade? Go OR Ducks Car Audio 0 March 8th 04 01:28 AM
CES + Von Schweikert VR-4 to VR-5/7 Upgrade? [email protected] High End Audio 2 January 16th 04 04:14 PM
cd upgrade Rick Scott High End Audio 1 December 26th 03 04:42 PM
VPI HW-19 Mk. III Upgrade Question David F. Rogers Audio Opinions 2 December 5th 03 06:21 PM
Seeking wisdom on system upgrade. PWG Car Audio 2 September 1st 03 06:09 PM