wideglide340

have you tried a different loc and what kind are you using?

--
wideglide340
wideglide340's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32811

Kevin M

Default Need help with speakers hissing

Hi all,
I need some help from all of you pro's out there. Long story short, I
wanted to keep the factory head unit in my 04 Accord so I installed some
AudioLink Line Level Converters and ran the RCA to the trunk. I hooked up
one of RF amps and fired up the stereo and there is constant hissing coming
from the speakers. There also seems to be a bigger than normal jump in the
music volume from volume 0 to volume level 1. The hissing doesn't get any
louder when I turn the volume up, it's just constant starting at volume
level 1. I replaced the RCA's and amp to eliminate them as the cause and it
still does it, also tried a new ground point. Very annoying. Is this the
price I pay for wanting to keep the factory deck and use LLC's? Also, and
this is very depressing to me, I just bought a Audio Control 6XS crossover
that I was pretty excited about using and when I hooked it up, the hissing
is now 5 times louder so I can't evn use my new toy. I realize that
replacing the factory HU with my Alpine 7930 (stashed in my closet) will
probably fix the problem but was wondering if there is any other fix for
this. I really wanted to maintain the stock stereo. Thanks in advance for
any responses.

MOSFET

[...]

How are the gains set on the RF amp? If the gains are pegged, what you are
describing is EXACTLY what would happen.

MOSFET

Kevin M

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

That's not it, I know all about gains and how to adjust them. I have
learned a few things in the last 20+ years of installing systems, but this
one has me stumped. Thanks anyway

jwest

Try turning down the gain in the converters and/or the amp. The "bigger
than normal jump" is a sure indicator that either the converter or the amp
(or both) has the gain up too high. That or you should try a different
converter. A certain level of hiss is unavoidable (in my experience,
anyway) when using converters; but, with proper system tuning, can be made
tolerable, if not completely acceptable.
"Kevin M" wrote in message
[...]

MOSFET

That's not it, I know all about gains and how to adjust them. I have
learned a few things in the last 20+ years of installing systems, but this
one has me stumped. Thanks anyway

Well don't get offended. You didn't mention the RF gains in your message so
it WAS the obvious first area to investigate.

I would conclude that your line-level converter is not doing it's job
correctly (faulty unit, bad product fit with your application, etc.). Have
you tried bypassing the converter (running the stock head directly into your
amp)?

MOSFET

Kevin M

"MOSFET" wrote in message
That's not it, I know all about gains and how to adjust them. I have
learned a few things in the last 20+ years of installing systems, but

this
one has me stumped. Thanks anyway

Well don't get offended. You didn't mention the RF gains in your message

so
it WAS the obvious first area to investigate.

I would conclude that your line-level converter is not doing it's job
correctly (faulty unit, bad product fit with your application, etc.).

Have
you tried bypassing the converter (running the stock head directly into

your
amp)?

MOSFET

The amp does not have speaker level inputs, I wish it did. I could probably
live with the hiss, at least for a little while, I just wish I could use my
6XS crossover without the hiss increasing. I wonder why the crossover would
amplify the hiss? Maybe something is wrong with that also. Gotta love this
stuff.

MOSFET

I was thinking a bit more about your issue and something puzzles me. You
implied that the hiss starts at volume level 1 and then stays constant. So
if the volume is at 0, am I to assume there is no hiss?

If this is the case, this is strange because I don't think Rockford amps
employ noise gates (perhaps the newer ones do), therefore the hiss MUST be
coming from your head unit (otherwise you would hear it at volume level 0).
Therefore the hiss SHOULD increase as you increase the volume. Hmmm. Maybe
you are using a newer Rockford amp that does employ a noise gate. Anyway,
some of these symptoms don't add up. Tricky.

MOSFET

Kevin M

"MOSFET" wrote in message
I was thinking a bit more about your issue and something puzzles me. You
implied that the hiss starts at volume level 1 and then stays constant.

So
if the volume is at 0, am I to assume there is no hiss?

If this is the case, this is strange because I don't think Rockford amps
employ noise gates (perhaps the newer ones do), therefore the hiss MUST be
coming from your head unit (otherwise you would hear it at volume level

0).
Therefore the hiss SHOULD increase as you increase the volume. Hmmm.

Maybe
you are using a newer Rockford amp that does employ a noise gate. Anyway,
some of these symptoms don't add up. Tricky.

MOSFET

There is no hiss at 0. The amp I have is the Punch 4080 that I purchased
around 1995ish. I did not have this problem in my last car using the same
amp but with my Alpine 7930 deck. I'm considering blowing the dust of the
Alpine and hook it up, but would really like to keep the factory look on the
dash. I just finished hooking up my old crossover, a Sony XEC-1000 and it
did not amplify the hiss like my new Audio Control 6XS does, I wonder if
there is a problem with the 6XS. I bought it online and it would probably
be a major headache to return or exchange it.