byron westbrook

Default who can repair my dynaco st-70 in NYC?

trying to find inexpensive but reputable guy who works out of his
house rather than a repair shop. does anyone know of someone? i'm
in williamsburg, so closer is better.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:08:06 -0700, "CM" wrote:

Or you can try Main Drag Music in Williamsbug
1-718-388-6365

Try Louis Amplification....
Lou at (201) 384-6166...in NJ very close to NY, right across the bridge in
Teaneck NJ...

Regards
Chris

"byron westbrook" wrote in message
. com...
trying to find inexpensive but reputable guy who works out of his
house rather than a repair shop. does anyone know of someone? i'm
in williamsburg, so closer is better.

Fred Nachbaur

"byron westbrook" wrote in message
om...

trying to find inexpensive but reputable guy who works out of his
house rather than a repair shop. does anyone know of someone? i'm
in williamsburg, so closer is better.

Doomella wrote:
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small shop
here too), and I'll be obnoxious and offer my services on this NG. here's a
sample - this was an eBay sale link:
http://elysiansound.com/ST70/
contact me at . Fast, from cheap repairs to full
resto's, no bench fee (free estimates). Oh, BTW, post here as *Shiva*.
-dim

Doomella? WTF? You must be on your GF's box, dim...

Byron, dim's a regular contributor here, as he points out. I'm sure that
your gear will be in good hands with him. (I understand he blows himself
up on occasion, but never the gear!) :-p

Cheers,
Fred

| Music:
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

ShivaNY

. ..

Doomella wrote:
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small

shop
here too), and I'll be obnoxious and offer my services on this NG.

here's a
sample - this was an eBay sale link:
http://elysiansound.com/ST70/
contact me at . Fast, from cheap repairs to full
resto's, no bench fee (free estimates). Oh, BTW, post here as *Shiva*.
-dim

Doomella? WTF? You must be on your GF's box, dim...

Byron, dim's a regular contributor here, as he points out. I'm sure that
your gear will be in good hands with him. (I understand he blows himself
up on occasion, but never the gear!) :-p

Cheers,
Fred

| Music:
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

ShivaNY

Doomella wrote:
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small

shop
here too), and I'll be obnoxious and offer my services on this NG.

here's a
sample - this was an eBay sale link:
http://elysiansound.com/ST70/
contact me at . Fast, from cheap repairs to full
resto's, no bench fee (free estimates). Oh, BTW, post here as *Shiva*.
-dim

Doomella? WTF? You must be on your GF's box, dim...

turns red Yeah, she's still a Doom (da game) head, and i was on that
account. Time to get a hub & hook up my own box to the dsl... And thanks
for the vote 'o confidence... I kind'o like the city (this time around) -
not the same endless space & idyllic views & ability to mindlessly riff out
through full stacks at 200+watts, but... Anyhow, i have to clean out a
really murky cellar to set up a wood shop in... Beginnings are good...
-dim

Tubes & other stuff: |

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Licensed to Quill

Saw your mention on NG as being in New York (which I must confess I didn't
quite understand) and was wondering if there was a known mod to get a
working Mac 1500 to output the presumably rather nice tube tuner (which must
have been designed and made at about the same time as and by the same people
as the MR71?) straight into the presumably rather nice tube power section?
By-passing that perhaps-slightly-dated early 1960s trannie pre amp stage
which completely louses up the actual sound?

Or for that matter, is there a mod to get straight into the power section
which doesn't cost a fortune?

Has anyone ever done it and is it worth the bother?

Jonathan

"Doomella" wrote in message
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small shop

ShivaNY

Hi - i honestly never worked on a Mac 1500, i could look up the schematics
(or you can send them to me), though, i suspect that gettin' rid of the
transformers would not be a trivial mod, and, strangely enough, good small
signal transformers are extremely linear, so don't assume that the problem
lies there. The reason that the modern gear uses transformer - coupling so
rarely is the cost of good transformers is much higher than the cost of
extra gain stages, and transformers are actually preferred over toobs in
many applications (think mic transformers & and PU cart transformers). Once
again, had no experience with your Mac, so i don't even know how the
transformers are used...
'luck,
-dim (Shiva)

"Doomella" wrote in message
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small

shop

Kirk Patton

Hi Johathan,

Honestly the tuner in the MAC1500 isn't worth it at all . . and a pain to
align correctly even if you have the correct equipment and have done it
before. . . just 'cause it's tubes don't make it good. It is nowhere close
to being in the same league as an MR71 or MR67 . . . or even an MX110. The
power amp is definately the best portion of this piece, provided it's in
good working order, though still nowhere as good as the MC225. Wiring a
pair of the RCA inputs directly to the PA input tube is easy for any
competent tech . . . you'll also need good 7591s. The last time I worked on
one of these was when only NOS 7591s were available, maybe others on this NG
can advise as to the best choice for replacements now.

Hope this helps,

Kirk Patton

"Doomella" wrote in message
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small

shop

Sony WM-2032 Walkman Repair Bill Evans Audio Opinions 12 February 25th 05 09:46 PM
Repair or replace 1987 KEF speakers? j.stevens High End Audio 5 September 18th 04 04:20 PM
FS: DYNACO A-20XL Speakers, see image... Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 12:25 AM
HHB repair dilemma Garthrr Pro Audio 16 December 8th 03 04:37 PM
chicago repair david nash Marketplace 0 September 2nd 03 05:11 PM