Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Before I spend too much...

Bill wrote: "en to the old stuff on disk, but hear
the newer stuff via internet radio. I don't think the difference is the
fault of Optimod, though (if that is used on the internet feed),"

I certainly HOPE not!

"as the older recordings still sound good on that internet feed.
-- "

Older recordings tend to hold up better through a broadcast -
or streaming - chain.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Hardy John Hardy is offline

On 7/5/2019 7:49 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
gray_wolf wrote:
On 7/4/2019 8:49 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:

In the case of much classical music, the composer hadn't even considered
the possibility of there being any sort of 'recording'. So the
performance 'artifacts' were expected.

A really really good discussion of this is in Phillips' _Performing Music
In the Age of recording_ which has some digressions but is well worth
reading for anyone interested in western art music.

And even in current times such music is composed with the aim being
performance, not manicured manufactured recordings.

Not half enough, if you ask me.

I was listening to some Benny Goodman big band stuff. Those guys played!!
How could you record that in a studio?

The same way the Goodman band did. With a couple microphones and a whole
lot of musicians and charts.
--scott

The first 10 minutes or more of the 1942 movie "Orchestra Wives" takes
place in a recording studio with Glenn Miller and his Orchestra and
others. It might be a great example of how they recorded it, although I
don't know how much of it was staged for the sake of the movie.

John Hardy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff* wrote:

[...]

It's the first 6 minutes or so of the movie:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...148A&FORM=VIRE

John Hardy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 12:25:56 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

I should perhaps say that I listen to the old stuff on disk, but hear
the newer stuff via internet radio. I don't think the difference is the
fault of Optimod, though (if that is used on the internet feed), as the
older recordings still sound good on that internet feed.
--
Bill

Hi Bill,
I'm guessing that the new stuff you hear streaming has been processed and data reduced to stream. That may explain its flatness.

When I was in FM radio in Baltimore at WIFF-FM, we had an Optimod. I had friends down the road in DC who would sometimes ask what we had in front of the optimod to make it sound so good. I told them, "a piece of cable."

The problem with optimods is not the optimod, it's the people (mis)adjusting them.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote: "I'm guessing that the new stuff you hear streaming has been processed and data
reduced to stream. That may explain its flatness. "

Digital, streaming(unless at dial up speeds) do
nothing "to" the audio. Processing does.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson:

I was just explaining to Ty that data-compression
does not affect dynamics of music. It does, however,
add some metallic swirlies at the lower rates you
mentioned.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckmaaaah the village idiot theckmah @ shortbus . edu
wrote in message

I was just explaining to Ty

No, you were not explaining.

that data-compression
does not affect dynamics of music.

Retarded dumb-**** pretends to "explain" something he obviously does not
understand.

It does, however, add some metallic swirlies

Sure, li'l buddy. Swirlies. Yeah, that'll make people think you're smart.
LKDHAFQ. FKWAFA!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 3:38:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Ty Ford wrote: "I'm guessing that the new stuff you hear streaming has been processed and data
reduced to stream. That may explain its flatness. "

Digital, streaming(unless at dial up speeds) do
nothing "to" the audio. Processing does.

Tell that to Sirius/XM...Hahahahaha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

wrote in message

I was just explaining to Ty

No, you were not explaining.

that data-compression
does not affect dynamics of music.

Retarded dumb-**** pretends to "explain" something he obviously does not
understand.

It does, however, add some metallic swirlies

Sure, li'l buddy. Swirlies. Yeah, that'll make people think you're smart.
LKDHAFQ. FKWAFA!

Off your meds again, I see. Sorry.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote: "Off your meds again, I see. Sorry. "

Ty - Do NOT respond to IT!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckhmah K. Dumb****
wrote in message

Ty - Do NOT respond to IT!

Youre still not the moderator, li'l buddy. You respond to my posts more
than anyone else does.

QEDF. FKWAFA. DF.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "
Hey, Noone might be extreme, but he does share the sentiments of most here I'm sure - that it is bizarre
that of anybody, you should be trying to explain anything to do with recording technology, or sound, to anybody.

geoff"

And exactly what do you mean by "of anybody", geoff?

And if you are trying to defend IT, then you are just
lowering yourself to IT's level.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Li'l Theckmie-Pie wrote in message

And exactly what do you mean by "of anybody", geoff?

Reading comprehension issues, li'l buddy?

And if you are trying to defend IT, then you are just
lowering yourself to IT's level.

Need a tissue, li'l buddy?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "
Hey, Noone might be extreme, but he does share the sentiments of most here I'm sure - that it is bizarre
that of anybody, you should be trying to explain anything to do with recording technology, or sound, to anybody.

geoff"

And exactly what do you mean by "of anybody", geoff?

The anachronism of you with your demonstrated level of 'knowledge'
attempting to teach those who have already forgotten more than you will
ever know, how to suck eggs.

Not trying to defend anybody.

Said my piece. Over and out.

geoff"

geoff:

I can understand concepts far better than I am able
to articulate them. Been that way all my life.

All I ask of you is to tell me what YOU - and orhers - think
I don't understand
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Li'l Theckie-pie pleaded
All I ask of you is to tell me what YOU - and orhers - think I don't
understand

1: Audio. 2: Numbers. 3: Usenet.

That should keep you busy whining for a while, li'l buddy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Usenet - You all need more meds. Period.

There's a moderator? On Usenet? **** that!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 08/07/2019 16:40, Ty Ford wrote:
Usenet - You all need more meds. Period.

There's a moderator? On Usenet? **** that!

Grin That would be rec.audio.pro.moderated. HTH.

I'll submit an RFC to the authorities when I get a round tuit to see
whether anyone wants it.

Or we could always set up a Facebook group called rec.audio.pro, and let
those who want to, fight over being administrators.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/8/2019 3:17 PM, John Williamson wrote:
Or we could always set up a Facebook group called rec.audio.pro, and let
those who want to, fight over being administrators.

Or try Pro Recording Workshop at
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/

Moderated, serious professionals hang out there, and only a limited
amount of nonsense is tolerated.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 08/07/2019 21:59, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/8/2019 3:17 PM, John Williamson wrote:
Or we could always set up a Facebook group called rec.audio.pro, and
let those who want to, fight over being administrators.

Or try Pro Recording Workshop at
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/

Moderated, serious professionals hang out there, and only a limited
amount of nonsense is tolerated.

Now lurking as johnwilliamson1

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 7/8/2019 2:17 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 08/07/2019 16:40, Ty Ford wrote:
Usenet - You all need more meds. Period.

There's a moderator? On Usenet? **** that!

Grin That would be rec.audio.pro.moderated. HTH.

I'll submit an RFC to the authorities when I get a round tuit to see whether
anyone wants it.

Or we could always set up a Facebook group called rec.audio.pro, and let those
who want to, fight over being administrators.

Good idea! Private Yahoo groups work well, especially for the owner. There's a
certain satisfaction
with permanently banning an asshole member. It's free, doesn't require a Usenet
server. It doesn't require any Usenet apps. You can sent photos and such. There
is free storage for the group for photos, FYIs, announcements & etc. It can be
spam free. I've been on quite a few for the past 23 years.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 7/8/2019 9:05 AM, None wrote:
Li'l Theckie-pie pleaded
All I ask of you is to tell me what YOU - and others - think I don't understand

1: Audio. 2: Numbers. 3: Usenet.

That should keep you busy whining for a while, li'l buddy.

I've seen a few newsgroups ruined by people like this except the were more
talented and psycho than our 'friend'. There were very adapt at avoiding
killfile filters and bomb posting garbage.
I've known a few women that had no idea of how stupid there really were in some
areas. I had a dear aunt tell my uncle that the reason his car wouldn't start
was because the bumper guard needed tightening. rolls eyes
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 9/07/2019 9:04 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 7/8/2019 2:17 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 08/07/2019 16:40, Ty Ford wrote:
Usenet - You all need more meds. Period.

There's a moderator? On Usenet? **** that!

Grin That would be rec.audio.pro.moderated. HTH.

I'll submit an RFC to the authorities when I get a round tuit to see
whether anyone wants it.

Or we could always set up a Facebook group called rec.audio.pro, and
let those who want to, fight over being administrators.

Good idea! Private Yahoo groups work well, especially for the owner.
There's a certain satisfaction
with permanently banning an asshole member. It's free, doesn't require a
Usenet server. It doesn't require any Usenet apps. You can sent photos
and such. There is free storage for the group for photos, FYIs,
announcements & etc. It can be spam free. I've been on quite a few for
the past 23 years.

I have one .

Was prolific in its heyday, but has been pretty much dead for a few
years now ;-(

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/8/2019 4:34 PM, geoff wrote:
[...]

Yes, they seem to go through a cycle. I was on a number of mail lists in the
beginning. Usenet was popular for a while then came the web forums. I guess
facebook is top dog now. I think only we hardened old-timers are still on Usenet
with the exception of a few idiots nowadays. It would be very entertaining the
to see the really bad-ass creative flamers in action again. Even the more
innocent wore asbestos underwear back then when newsgroups were the digital
wild-west. I think life was more fun back then.