Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_] Michael Beacom[_4_] is offline

Default Yamaha n-12 repair

Hi-

The right channel of my Yamaha n-12 died. No right channel audio on the
studio monitor, headphones and meter. No right channel on meters of
other output busses. However, in solo, I do have right channel in
headphones and meter.

I checked the Yamaha web site, and the nearst Yamaha service center is
'Profesional Technical Service' in Silver Spring.

Any opinions on 'Profesional Technical Service'?
Any other DC area shops I should call?

The oldest mention I could find on the web is 2008, so I'm assuming it
is 10-11 years old. Should I ask about replacing the electolytic caps?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Mike Beacom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/7/2019 12:16 AM, Michael Beacom wrote:
The right channel of my Yamaha n-12 died. No right channel audio on the
studio monitor, headphones and meter. No right channel on meters of
other output busses. However, in solo, I do have right channel in
headphones and meter.

Digital mixers are a bugger to troubleshoot. You might get a clue from
the service manual. You can download a copy he

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...Yamaha-N8.html

I checked the Yamaha web site, and the nearst Yamaha service center is
'Profesional Technical Service' in Silver Spring.

Any opinions on 'Profesional Technical Service'?

I haven't heard anything about them recently, but they're worth a try.
It was originally staffed by the service shop crew of Chuck Levin's
Washington Music Center to take over warranty service when the music
store decided to move service out of the store. I believe they're a
completely independent shop now, but they have a lot of history behind
them.

http://www.pro-tech.us

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2019-10-07 11:28:39 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

[...]

Thanks for the link to the manual.

From what I understand, it is an analog mixer with a built-in firewire
inerface.
I'm guessing that it is an analog problem, but that guess and a couple
of dollars will get a coffee at Starbucks.

Good to know about 'Profesional Technical Service'. I'll give them a call.

Thanks again,
Mike Beacom

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
On 2019-10-07 11:28:39 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

On 10/7/2019 12:16 AM, Michael Beacom wrote:
The right channel of my Yamaha n-12 died. No right channel audio on the
studio monitor, headphones and meter. No right channel on meters of
other output busses. However, in solo, I do have right channel in
headphones and meter.

Does this have inserts on the mains? Are the connectors on those inserts
intermittent? If you plug a straight through insert cable into it, does
it pass signal?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/7/2019 4:57 PM, Michael Beacom wrote:

From what I understand, it is an analog mixer with a built-in firewire
inerface.
I'm guessing that it is an analog problem, but that guess and a couple
of dollars will get a coffee at Starbucks.

Make that a grande pumpkin spiced latte. There's Firewire I/O and some
stuff, via MIDI, to control the transport and arm tracks in Cubase, and
maybe other DAWs if you can make them smart enough.

From a look at the schematic, it looks like all of the analog inputs
make their way to A/D converters, and all the routing is done digitally.
Not as bad as an all-digital mixer, but more room for things to go wrong
without an easy way of tracing signals from input to output.

The fix could be as simple as re-flashing the firmware memory, but
apparently the only way you can get the code is if you're a Yamaha
authorized tech. So maybe that'll be the first thing that Pro-Tech will
do if you bring it to them, and if that fixes the problems, it'll only
be an hour for labor and no parts. Look on the bright side.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/7/2019 6:27 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Does this have inserts on the mains?

Good thought, but no pumpkin spiced latte. The only inserts are on the
analog inputs. There might be a common power lead for that group of
outputs that isn't getting any juice, but based on my theory that "if it
has digital guts it'll screw you some time or other" it's something with
the logic.