EC

Default CD Player Gain

Hi RAT's

I know there are posts on CD player gain in the archive... I found
them when I was building a AUX-bleed for my amp. Like many I found
CD players have so much gain they overdrive my integrated amps'
pre-amp. I ended up bleeding away a *lot* of CD signal to ground,
then using the pre-amp.

I've heard many people use CD players *without* any pre-amplification,
that is, straight to the power amp (with a passive vol. control I
imagine!).

So.. what *sounds* better;
1) A high-gain solid-state CD player without pre-amplification, or
2) A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp?

Choky

hehe-use some interstage xformers-say 10K : 2K
in that case you don't even need any tube in path;
or-rip off everything after DA stage and put WOT stage in.
or just OT,if your player have I to V conversion type of DA output.
.................................................. ........................
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar
YU

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM

"EC" wrote in message
Hi RAT's

I know there are posts on CD player gain in the archive... I found
them when I was building a AUX-bleed for my amp. Like many I found
CD players have so much gain they overdrive my integrated amps'
pre-amp. I ended up bleeding away a *lot* of CD signal to ground,
then using the pre-amp.

I've heard many people use CD players *without* any pre-amplification,
that is, straight to the power amp (with a passive vol. control I
imagine!).

So.. what *sounds* better;
1) A high-gain solid-state CD player without pre-amplification, or
2) A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp?

Robert Casey

EC wrote:

Hi RAT's

I know there are posts on CD player gain in the archive... I found
them when I was building a AUX-bleed for my amp. Like many I found
CD players have so much gain they overdrive my integrated amps'
pre-amp. I ended up bleeding away a *lot* of CD signal to ground,
then using the pre-amp.

I've heard many people use CD players *without* any pre-amplification,
that is, straight to the power amp (with a passive vol. control I
imagine!).

So.. what *sounds* better;
1) A high-gain solid-state CD player without pre-amplification, or
2) A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp?

Are you trying to play the CD player thru the phono input? If so, there's
no need to do that, as CDs are not prefiltered with the RIAA phono curve.
CD players produce around 2 to 4 volts peak to peak audio that would feed
an AUX or TUNER input jack. If you are willing to pry the lid off the CD
player, take a look at my page:
http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/tubedac.htm

Some op-amps can sound poor because of the crossover distortion in their
output stages. You can force single ended operation if you connect a load
resistor from the output to a filtered positive or negative supply rail.
Size the
resistor so you pull around 2ma, and choose a rail such that the
resistor doesn't
draw less than around 1/2 ma at any point of the audio waveform. Some
op-amps
benefit from this, others not so much. Easy to try, however.

emulsion

In English: A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp sounds better
imho!

I've always enjoyed Choky's posts etc... but gimme a break...

how many people out there know what this means:
"or-rip off everything after DA stage and put WOT stage in.
or just OT,if your player have I to V conversion type of DA output."

I'm not looking for a flame, just a translation.

Chad

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:31:54 +0000, EC wrote:

Hi RAT's

I know there are posts on CD player gain in the archive... I found
them when I was building a AUX-bleed for my amp. Like many I found
CD players have so much gain they overdrive my integrated amps'
pre-amp. I ended up bleeding away a *lot* of CD signal to ground,
then using the pre-amp.

I've heard many people use CD players *without* any pre-amplification,
that is, straight to the power amp (with a passive vol. control I
imagine!).

So.. what *sounds* better;
1) A high-gain solid-state CD player without pre-amplification, or
2) A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp?

Ronald

Hi Chad ,

gimme a break...

OK , I'll post the answer tomorrow ;-))

how many people out there know what this means:
"or-rip off everything after DA stage and put WOT stage in.
or just OT,if your player have I to V conversion type of DA output."

I'm not looking for a flame, just a translation.

Chad

I had the same problem once not knowing WOT it means .....
W-ith O-utput T-ransformer .
Just remember if you see Choky's name , think "iron" !! ;-))))
That's why he uses that name ......

Ronald .

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:31:54 +0000, EC wrote:

Hi RAT's

I know there are posts on CD player gain in the archive... I found
them when I was building a AUX-bleed for my amp. Like many I found
CD players have so much gain they overdrive my integrated amps'
pre-amp. I ended up bleeding away a *lot* of CD signal to ground,
then using the pre-amp.

I've heard many people use CD players *without* any pre-amplification,
that is, straight to the power amp (with a passive vol. control I
imagine!).

So.. what *sounds* better;
1) A high-gain solid-state CD player without pre-amplification, or
2) A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp?

Choky

"emulsion" wrote in message
news
In English: A reduced-gain CD player through a tube pre-amp sounds better
imho!

I've always enjoyed Choky's posts etc... but gimme a break...

how many people out there know what this means:
"or-rip off everything after DA stage and put WOT stage in.
or just OT,if your player have I to V conversion type of DA output."

I'm not looking for a flame, just a translation.

Chad

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:31:54 +0000, EC wrote:

as Ronald sez-With Output Transformer ;
or later-Output Transformer.
there is (on Net) plenty of info how to convert last stage of your CD player
in tube or ,even, passive stage.
cheers!
.................................................. ........................
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar
YU

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM

Alan Douglas

Hi,

Just remember if you see Choky's name , think "iron" !! ;-))))
That's why he uses that name ......

Ronald .

I thought he explained it once, as the local slang for "four-eyes."

Cheers, Alan