Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming, solet's stick to GZ34 worship!

On Nov 16, 8:42*pm, !Jones wrote:
Let's see if I have this right... in one posting, we get:

P.S. *Please do not cross post into other newsgroups; that reflects
poor Usenet manners, IMO.

Something else you should learn, Jonesy. Your opinion doesn't matter
to me. I'll do what I'm going to do regardless of whether you think it
is good netiquette, and sooner or later my version will become the
rule. So save your breath; I'm not in the least interested in
conforming to your lowest common denominator view of how one should
behave.

Then, in your next posting, you write:

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:52:19 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Andre

Jute wrote:
And you're poor white trash for renaming rec.audio.tube to
rec.audio.boobs. No one there would try to denigrate your hobby.

Perhaps you might want to save your breath, buddy; I'm not in the
least interested in conforming to your lowest common denominator view
of how one should behave... and, if you don't like it, just remember:
you wrote it.

Jones

There's a difference, Jonesy. You told me what I could and couldn't
do. I didn't tell you to do anything at all, I merely observed that
doing what you did makes you trailer park trash. I trust this note
enhances your grasp of simple English; it would be too much to ask it
to improve your morality.

Andre Jute
No human corpses were harmed in the assembly of my golem Worthless
Wiecky. I made him by stuffing a cow's bladder with pig offal. -- CE
Statement of Conformity
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 16, 9:55*pm, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:06:12 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:11:28 -0600, flipper wrote:

Anyway, mankind is becoming like a giant volcano, but not much smoke,
so the atmosphere is heating up.

There is no working scientific hypothesis to support that claim.

The best available scientific experimentation and observation
(specifically the monitoring of atmospheric temperature for the
predicted temperature distribution) falsifies the conjecture that
increased atmospheric CO2 'causes' an increase in global temperature.

Not only that but, even with increasing CO2 emissions atmospheric CO2
has leveled off so you can't even say that emitting CO2 necessarily
causes an atmospheric increase.

Looking at ll the graphs showing both CO2 levels and temperature
historically, it is clear that the temperature curve has always led
the CO2 curve. It is thus reasonable to conclude that the temperature
sets the CO2 level, not the other way round.

**********. Regurtitating a lie promulgated by the fossil fuel lobby, does
not make it a truth. A lie is just a lie. In the last 600,000 years, it
can
clearly be seen that CO2 has led and lagged temperature rise. Right now,
we
are experiencing a period where CO2 leads temperature rise. See:

http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Pre...ning/New_Data/

Note the following dates, where CO2 leads temperature rise:

-394ky
-353ky
-333ky
-304ky
-295ky
-258ky
-183ky
-85ky
-18ky
now

You should also note the VERY CLOSE correlation between temperatures and
CO2
levels. When one rises, the other follows. We are presently witnessing the
fastest rise in CO2 levels noted in the last 600,000 years.Temperatures
are
following.

Let me quote that article

"However, because of the difficulty in precisely dating the air and
water (ice) samples, it is still unknown whether GTG concentration
increases precede and cause temperature increases, or vice versa--or
whether they increase synchronously. *It's also unknown how much of
the historical temperature changes have been due to GTGs, and how much
has been due to orbital forcing, ie, increases in solar radiation, or
perhaps long-term shifts in ocean circulation."

And in that graph, between 130,000 and 100,000 years, CO2
concentration is constant. Yet the temperature drops by 10 degrees.

**CO2 is not the SOLE driver of temperature and climate on this planet. It
is ONE driver.

***In the last 150 years we have witnessed a rise in temperature
that has been more rapid than at any time in the last 600,000 years.***

Prove it, Trevor.

It has
coincided with a similarly rapid rise in CO2 levels. Solar output, volcano
activity and other factors have not been able to explain the rise in
temperatures. The only factor left is C)2 levels. Given that we know, beyond
a shadow of doubt, that CO2 is a potent GHG, then it is reasonable to accept
the fact that humans are altering the climate of this planet.

Since when did you go into the rotten lace business, Trevor? Or is
that argument full of holes supposed to be a smelly Swiss cheese?

--
Trevor Wilsonwww.rageaudio.com.au

Nice to see you again, even if you're on a pretty sticky wicket here.

Andre Jute
Global Warming is like Scientology, only with less science
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 16, 2:50*am, Dan O wrote:
On Nov 15, 5:17 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Nov 15, 6:47 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

The really scary thing is, though, the tendency of intelligent,
successful people to have fewer children, or put off childbearing
altogether, because they "can't afford to properly raise kids" while
those less qualified have kids with abandon...

Mpfffff... not hardly. It is further proof that we are at an
evolutionary dead-end. When so-called 'intelligence' sees no
imperative to reproduce then it is no longer viable as a dominant
species. Cyril Kornbluth wrote a nice little cautionary tale - The
Marching Morons. Worth reading. But, while you are on the subject, you
need to consult with Andre on the game of eugenics - a bit discredited
these days but if there ever was the need for an advocate of it, Andre
would be the critter for it. It is the term "qualified" that leads to/
suggests that blind alley.

Whether genetics play a role or simply being raised in a house with
well-educated, involved parents is the main factor, I do believe that
some people are better qualified to have kids than others. *That may be
a not particularly PC opinion, but I do believe it to be true.

We know: *You're awesome; everybody else sucks.

Maybe you two guys should get a room, let it all hang out. -- AJ

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Why would I get a room with someone whose posts I only see when you
reply to them?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

**Certainly. Examine the ice core data:

http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Pre...ning/New_Data/

It has
coincided with a similarly rapid rise in CO2 levels. Solar output, volcano
activity and other factors have not been able to explain the rise in
temperatures. The only factor left is C)2 levels. Given that we know,
beyond
a shadow of doubt, that CO2 is a potent GHG, then it is reasonable to
accept
the fact that humans are altering the climate of this planet.

Since when did you go into the rotten lace business, Trevor? Or is
that argument full of holes supposed to be a smelly Swiss cheese?

--
Trevor Wilsonwww.rageaudio.com.au

Nice to see you again, even if you're on a pretty sticky wicket here.

**We all are. The planet is warming precipitously and some stupid people are
disregarding the science, in preference for charlatans, liars and those who
have an agenda.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 17, 12:29*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Nov 16, 2:50 am, Dan O wrote:
On Nov 15, 5:17 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Whether genetics play a role or simply being raised in a house with
well-educated, involved parents is the main factor, I do believe that
some people are better qualified to have kids than others. *That may be
a not particularly PC opinion, but I do believe it to be true.
We know: *You're awesome; everybody else sucks.

Maybe you two guys should get a room, let it all hang out. -- AJ

Why would I get a room with someone whose posts I only see when you
reply to them?

Because only one of you will come out of that room, and I'm betting on
you.

I see the posts of Worthless Wiecky only when some newbie responds to
him, so we're square.

Andre Jute
"The brain of an engineer is a delicate instrument which must be
protected against the unevenness of the ground." -- Wifredo-Pelayo
Ricart Medina
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Hey, Andre....

No killfile after all?

What a whining, puling, silly excuse of a jackass you have become in
your latter years. You do really need your meds adjusted - you are
playing well out of your depth, old thing!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Jonesy blows more smoke

On Nov 16, 12:44*pm, !Jones wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:59:02 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech "Pat"

wrote:
Yes, smoking has been scientifically proven to cause health problems. *That
"has never been...." is just the standard line that the "smoking is just a
habit" people keep repeating. Doesn't make it true just because they repeat
it. My FIL died from aortic aneurysm. A lifelong smoker, it made his aorta
unflexible, the so-called "hardening of the arteries." Result: it burst.

Actually, it hasn't and it never will be. *To do that, you'd have to
start with a population of teens who had never smoked, randomly assign
them to two groups, then have one group smoke two packs a day for
three decades while the other does not smoke. *Differences could then
be attributed to tobacco use with scientific basis.

Of course, such a study would be highly unethical; therefore, there
will never be one. *

Er, Jonesy, didn't they teach you any logic? If there is no proof that
smoking tobacco is dangerous, why would it be "highly unethical" to
conduct a corntrolled test to observe its effect?

Leaving aside the fact that an act is either unethical or it is
ethical, with no gradations, no "highly".

For this reason, all we can do is point to
correlation. *I'm not saying that smoking does *not* cause health
problems... that seems to be as obvious as gravity; however, when Mr.

Jute writes:

I'll take up this crap in a separate post.

Andre Jute
A little, a very little thought will suffice -- John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"flipper" wrote in message

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

Whether it's a 'driver', and if it is to what magnitude, remains to be
seen.

**We already know that CO2 provides Solar forcing equivalent to between 9% ~
26%. This is not an insignificant range.

In the last 150 years we have witnessed a rise in temperature
that has been more rapid than at any time in the last 600,000 years.

False.

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/4/1331.full

**It would seem that the Greenland data does not agree entirely with the
Antarctic data. Perhaps the Greenland data reflects more localised
conditions?

It has
coincided with a similarly rapid rise in CO2 levels.

Coincidence is not cause and effect.

**When examining the data, you should note that correlation is VERY close.
Without far more study, it is impossible to cite cause and effect. The data,
however, is compelling.

Solar output, volcano
activity and other factors have not been able to explain the rise in
temperatures.

Partly because they've been summarily dismissed with little research
done in those areas in deference to the 'presumed' conjecture.

**********. Read ALL these reports:

http://www.ipcc.ch/

All the known contributors to climate change are carefully examined.

AGW is also riddled with things they "have not been able to explain"
but AGW simply ignores them because, contrary to all scientific
methodology, the conjecture is presumed true.

**Nope. Just the science. Read these reports:

http://www.ipcc.ch/

The only factor left is C)2 levels.

Oh? Prove it.

**We know that CO2 acts as a potent, long lasting GHG. Experimental data
stretching back more than 100 years confirms this.

Hint, that's a trap because you can't prove a negative. Which also
means the claim cannot be made.

**Then you may care to provide your suggestion as to why we are in the
middle of a warming trend. Solar variability only explains 20% of the
warming. The other 80% must be accounted for. Since CO2 is a known GHG and
has increased by more than 30% over the period of the warming, it would seem
that it is the likely culprit. I will, however, await you alternate
explanation.

Given that we know,

You cannot know what you don't know.

**We know that CO2 is a potent, long lasting GHG. A GHG that acts with
around 9% ~ 26%.

The argument that 'this is the only thing left that we know of" is
fallacious because ignorance is not proof. E.g. Let us go back a few
thousand years and speculate on the makeup of things.

"All things must be made of Earth, Water, Air, and Fire because we
know of nothing else that can explain it."

Do you think that proves all things are made of Earth, Water, Air, and
Fire or do you suspect there were a few things they didn't know?

**That would depend on your definition of "Earth" and "air". The periodic
table of elements can be found in "Earth", save a handful of manufactured
elements.

Btw, this logic fallacy is one of the things the scientific method is
designed to address. I.E. Something is not presumed valid simply
because it's currently your favorite speculation.

**Indeed. CO2 is, however, the elephant in the room.

beyond
a shadow of doubt,

A statement of religious fervor.

**A statement of fact. CO2 is a known GHG.

Nothing in science is "beyond a shadow of doubt" and the last time,
before AGW that is, 'scientists' fell into that fallacious trap was
the late 19'th century when it was lamented everything of significant
had already been discovered. Oops.

that CO2 is a potent GHG,

Even if the conjecture is correct it's a weak GHG. Water vapor is, by
far, the major one. At least, as far as we currently know.

**So? What's your point here? That a (low end) figure of 9% is, somehow,
irrelevant? Sorry. 9% is significant. 26% is moreso. Moreover, water vapour
is very short lived in the atmosphere. CO2 is not. Water vapour has a much
lesser effect in certain areas (Central Australia, the Atacama, the Sahara,
et al) and CO2 acts as a much more significant driver. And, more importantly
still, there is nothing we can do about water vapour. We CAN do something
about CO2 levels.

then it is reasonable to accept
the fact that humans are altering the climate of this planet.

Well, if one simply assumes unproven things then anything can seem
'reasonable' after that.

**Here's the stuff we know:

* CO2 is a significant GHG.
* Methane is a more potent, but less significant GHG.
* Water vapour is a much weaker, but more significant GHG (due to the very
large quantities in the atmosphere).
* Over the period of time that the planet's temperature has risen
significantly (over the last 15 years), we have noted a dramatic rise in CO2
concentration.
* Humans are directly responsible for the majority of the increase in CO2
levels.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Making fun of Jonesy's misconceptions of science is like shootingfish in a barrel

On Nov 16, 12:44*pm, !Jones wrote:
that seems to be as obvious as gravity; however, when Mr.

Jute writes:

QUOTE Where's this evidence [of global warming], Jonesy. If it is so overwhelming, why don't you
show it to us. Should be easy enough, being "overwhelming".

/QUOTE

I'm still waiting for the evidence, Jonesy. All you've given us so far
is a demonstration of your gullibility, in the form, "Scientists
say..." In fact they don't, not as a group, and the few who do have
been reprimanded for it by their betters speaking under oath before
the US Senate -- and, as you will expect by now, I've quoted
academicians North and Wegman and several other members of their
panels, right here on RBT. (It is one of the reasons the local global
warmies, who get their "facts" from television, no longer argue with
me but limit themselves to name-calling: I go to the source and get
the true facts, every time.)

just remember that there is no experimentally based, scientific
evidence. *

So you're in agreement with me, Jonesy! Then why are you indulging in
this juvenile dickswinging?

Some things we cannot prove.

E.g.:
Parallel lines don't intersect - unproven.

Quite the contrary. It is well known to artists that parallel lines
intersect at the horizon.

Factoring a number is a problem of exponential order - unproven, yet
our whole system of E-commerce is based thereon.

Er, no. Are you senior enough yet to be let into the staff club? Find
an electronics engineer and buy him a beer in return for explaining
the binary counting system to you. E-commerce, and everything else on
computers depends not on the exponential system (of whatever base,
though you appear to be referring to base-e, as in e^x where the
exponent is approximately 2.718281828) but on the binary system in
which there are only two states or "digits", on and off, represented
by 1 and zero.

(If you were smart enough to call zero "a number without proof"
without which our base-10 or "exponential" mathematics would be
impossible, you would have stumped me with the truth. You should look
up the late entry of the full-service zero to our counting system in
India, and marvel at what went before Brahmagupta published his book
near the beginning of the C7 to settle the zero and the decimal point,
the latter being *incapable* of proof.)

Gravity, for that matter... *

Nope, not gravity either. The fact that you cannot see gravity isn't
in science a reason for denying its existence; it is observed by
proxies and direct effects. For modern mathematical proof, with
diagrams, see Electronics World, Vol. 109, Issue 1804. Same article
without the diagrams, go to http://members.lycos.co.uk/nigelbryancook/
In general, gravity had been measured and fully described and measured
since in 1749 the Marquise du Chtelet (Voltaire's lover), knowing
that she was likely to die in childbirth, hurried to finish her
definitive paper on gravity later consulted by no less than Einstein.

OK, I'll quit. *Gotta run, it's Monday.

You should have quit before you exposed your ignorance four times in
one short post.

Jones

Yours in scholarship,

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

The long term graph shows it has been much warmer -- and the earth
didn't burn up. But I'm glad you show the cherry-picked graph of the
last two hundred years at
http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Pre...ook/index.html
which shows CO2 rising and temperature all over the place in regular
swinging cycles.

If you were to open your mind, Trevor, you would discover that those
regular short term cycles of temperature change happening about every
11 years coincide both sunspot activity.

It has
coincided with a similarly rapid rise in CO2 levels. Solar output, volcano
activity and other factors have not been able to explain the rise in
temperatures. The only factor left is C)2 levels. Given that we know,
beyond
a shadow of doubt, that CO2 is a potent GHG, then it is reasonable to
accept
the fact that humans are altering the climate of this planet.

Huh? You, and the "scientists" you quote, don't know what's causing
temperature swings, so you want your ignorance to be proof that your
faith should taken as the gospel? Bull**** to that! Science proceeds
by proof, not by special pleading, no matter how hysterical.

Nice to see you again, even if you're on a pretty sticky wicket here.

**We all are.

Your pet alarmist, whom you cite above, doesn't know ****, and admits
it by throwing out variant hypotheses in every paragraph, claiming
something could happen because he believes in global warming. That's
the cart before the horse. First the little ******, and you, must
prove there's a correlation between CO2 rise and temperature rise,
then he must prove it is worldwide, then he must prove it is connected
through more than coincidence or unrelated effect, then he gets shot
down because the correlative fit with sunspots is better and it defies
common sense that the largest heat source in our system shouldn't be
the controlling one.

The planet is warming precipitously

Crap. The planet has been cooling for ten years now and the alarmists
silly models failed to forecast the cooling. If they can't even
forecast the next decade, why should we believe they can forecast the
temperature a century hence.

And, if they ever get their act together, they will grasp that we're
recovering from the little ice age towards the temperatures reigning
during the medieval warm period, and that the earth must be two to
three degrees warmer, and rising, for several centuries before it is
even necessary to investigate, never mind to panic like hysterical old
women.

and some stupid people are
disregarding the science,

There is no science in global warming. It is a religion, a scam, a big
lie. And you bought it as a substitute for the guilt of Christianity
that drove your early years, and as a substitute for the marxism that
drove your youth. That's why your source, quoted above, talks in the
most unscientific terms of the Earth as an "angry beast". Never heard
such crap from you before, Trevor, even when you trailed around
Pinkostinko's smelly coattails.

in preference for charlatans, liars and those who
have an agenda.

I'm not a charlatan, nor am I a liar, nor do I have an agenda, nor do
I have the slightest connection with an oil company; I haven't even
owned a car since 1992, going everywhere by bicycle; I'm a hell of a
lot greener than anyone else on these two conferences. I just insist
on reading the statistics for myself. Global warming is,
statistically, a scam. Your utterances are the Profession of Faith of
the Disillusioned Middle Class. They are a statement of religious
faith and it has nothing to do with science.

Trevor Wilsonwww.rageaudio.com.au

Andre Jute
Global Warming is like Scientology, only with less science
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 17, 1:21*am, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

**Here's the stuff we know:

* CO2 is a significant GHG.
* Methane is a more potent, but less significant GHG.
* Water vapour is a much weaker, but more significant GHG (due to the very
large quantities in the atmosphere).
* Over the period of time that the planet's temperature has risen
significantly (over the last 15 years), we have noted a dramatic rise in CO2
concentration.
* Humans are directly responsible for the majority of the increase in CO2
levels.

A good deal of this is either outright false or very misleading. But
let's assume, just for the sake of argument, Trevor, that you have all
these ducks lined up and you can prove them -- than you *still* don't
have a case because you have no proof of a causal connection, merely a
suspicion so strong as to amount to a religious belief. That chain
that you posit, even if true (and, as I say, the elements aren't even
provably true), does not make a scientific case for anything at all.
At the very best it might point to a weak hypothesis to investigate.

But those who aren't already hysterically committed to global warming
have a far, far stronger hypothesis on the table already.

And then there is a growing movement that considers global warming a
good thing and interference with climate recovery to say the level of
the Medieval Warm Period to be damaging hubris and dangerous planet-
engineering, far, far worse than the social engineering of the Stalin-
Mao-Pol Pot axis of evil.

Speculation isn't science, pal. You need proof, and you haven't got
any. And the self-styled "scientists" who tried to lie proof into
existence (among other lies the "Hockey Stick" of which you yesterday
showed us a variant) have been caught and exposed as fraudsters.
That's another proof that global warming is a religion, not a science,
that its proponents are willing to lie for it.

I were you, I'd leave this here. I have no desire to offend a techie I
might need again, and you're simply not qualified or well-enough
informed to carry on this sort of argument. It's starting to look like
the rationalists are beating up on some poor Baptist fundie, and
that's not nice.

Andre Jute
A little, a very little thought will suffice -- John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Bill Sornson[_2_] Bill Sornson[_2_] is offline

Michael Press wrote:

Planet Earth has been warming with irregular periods of
cooling for the last 12000 years. It is not proven that
man made CO2 matters. It is not proven that atmospheric
CO2 increases the Earth's temperature. It is not proven
that increased global temperatures are harmful. It _is_
proven that atmospheric CO2 levels have been much
higher in past ages. It _is_ proven that higher
atmospheric CO2 levels than present act to make plants
grow faster.

Oh, man. The cool kids (no double meaning intended) are NOT going to like
seeing you express this.

Bill "just a tad stunned" S.

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 17, 6:36*am, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
Planet Earth has been warming with irregular periods of
cooling for the last 12000 years. It is not proven that
man made CO2 matters. It is not proven that atmospheric
CO2 increases the Earth's temperature. It is not proven
that increased global temperatures are harmful. It _is_
proven that atmospheric CO2 levels have been much
higher in past ages. It _is_ proven that higher
atmospheric CO2 levels than present act to make plants
grow faster.

Oh, man. *The cool kids (no double meaning intended) are NOT going to like
seeing you express this.

Bill "just a tad stunned" S.

Man, you take the words right out of my mouth. Whatever moved Michael
to "betray the cause" by telling the truth? Hell, this looks like the
boy is a scientist after all and I've been traducing him.

What a good way for me to be proved wrong! That's a stunning summary,
Michael.

But you know, Sorni, the "cool kids", the global warming fundies and
faithful, coulda found out what Michael says by reading their own
bible instead of depending on TV misinformation soundbites. By way of
example, one of the most striking lines in any IPCC report (and I've
read them all, of course) says quite bluntly that up to 2% of global
warming will be good for us economically and agriculturally.

But the "cool kids", who think the revolution is smoking pot and
listening to some dead Jamaican gangster, already heard on television
that *any* temperature increase is *evil*.

Andre Jute
I've met luddites with more mechanical aptitude than Maxine Ott

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

If they really cared about the "cause" (laughable on its face), then they'd
contribute money and urging to this:

http://biggovernment.com/2009/11/16/...he-or-wont-he/

Bill "good thing holding one's breath doesn't contribute to GW" S.

***

By way of
example, one of the most striking lines in any IPCC report (and I've
read them all, of course) says quite bluntly that up to 2% of global
warming will be good for us economically and agriculturally.

But the "cool kids", who think the revolution is smoking pot and
listening to some dead Jamaican gangster, already heard on television
that *any* temperature increase is *evil*.

Andre Jute
I've met luddites with more mechanical aptitude than Maxine Ott

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:02:31 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Andre
Jute wrote:

There's a difference, Jonesy. You told me what I could and couldn't
do. I didn't tell you to do anything at all, I merely observed that
doing what you did makes you trailer park trash. I trust this note
enhances your grasp of simple English; it would be too much to ask it
to improve your morality.

I don't see any difference, sir. I asked you not to cross-post the
reply headers, thus replying to multiple, unrelated groups when my
initial post had gone only to one (and I even said "please") ... you
suggested that I could save my breath and that you'd do as you damn
well liked, or something to that effect. Then *I* changed the reply
headers and you went into a snit over it, calling me "trailer park
trash". That's an impressive debate tactic, you know! Clearly,
you're a man of formidable forensic talent!

I usually don't post to multiple groups unless there is some rational
connection between the two because it annoys people and is a commonly
used harassment tactic. In a stretch, one might see how a global
warming discussion could be appropriate for a bicycle group; I cannot
see how it would possibly fit in an antique audio equipment
discussion.

So (since this is posted there)... rec.audio.tubes... what do the
*rest* of you think of the incessant global warming argument? Is
anyone else really interested? Would anyone really like to read
another few weeks of this nonsense, or should I simply trim
rec.audio.tubes out of the distribution and let Mr. Jute whine about
it... he doesn't *like* it when I trim headers! (Mr. Jute thinks
people like me are immoral for depriving RAT of our ... err...
discussion; see above.)

Jones

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:50:09 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Andre
Jute wrote:

[...]

Because it is the responsibility of the researcher with human subjects
to show that there is no harm to the subjects... the simple lack of
proof that there is any harm is not nearly enough.

It's almost impossible to design an experimental study to investigate
whether *anything* is harmful because, if you don't already know, then
you can't do it.

And you're beginning to bore me, sir.

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:49:18 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Andre
Jute wrote:

[...]

I don't even have a *clue* what you're talking about. I doubt that
you do, either.

I don't see many people engaging in discussion with you... I think
that I'm going to do the nice people over in RAT a favor and proceed
no further.

Jones

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
mike[_5_] mike[_5_] is offline

In article c1cd63e5-4ead-4738-96d9-
, says...
On Nov 16, 12:44*pm, !Jones wrote:
that seems to be as obvious as gravity; however, when Mr.

Factoring a number is a problem of exponential order - unproven, yet
our whole system of E-commerce is based thereon.

Er, no. Are you senior enough yet to be let into the staff club? Find
an electronics engineer and buy him a beer in return for explaining
the binary counting system to you. E-commerce, and everything else on
computers depends not on the exponential system (of whatever base,
though you appear to be referring to base-e, as in e^x where the
exponent is approximately 2.718281828) but on the binary system in
which there are only two states or "digits", on and off, represented
by 1 and zero.

This is probably the funniest thing I have seen you write yet Andre. In
one short paragraph you display:
a) your inability to comprehend a simple argument;
b) your complete misunderstanding of factorisation and algorithmic
complexity;
c) your habit of inserting random and irrelevant 'technicaleese' into
your prose in an attempt to hide your ignorance;
d) your willingness to make a public fool of yourself at any cost.

I thank you for the entartainment.

Note that if this is actually a clever example of self-parody, then it
is even more brilliant.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Jute wrote:
[...]

You're an idiot who can't even follow a thread, Jonesy. This thread
*originated* on RAT in a post by Patrick Turner. It belongs to RAT. It
is posted to RBT by courtesy because I know many on RBT take an
interest in global warming. Now, some johnny-come-lately, one Jonesy,
wants arbitrarily to deprive RAT of a thread started by Patrick
Turner, a RAT in very good standing indeed. This is the second time of
telling you, Jonesy: it isn't for johnny-come-latelies like you to
tell anyone what they can post on RBT or RAT, and it is very ugly
indeed for you to try and deprive RAT of its own thread.

Andre Jute
Nobless oblige, until my patience with American fools runs out

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Jute wrote:
[...]

Be shorter just to say that you don't understand the concept of logic,
Jonesy. You're so dumb, you're funny.

And you're beginning to bore me, sir.

Run, rabbit, run.

Andre Jute
A little, a very little thought will suffice -- John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 17, 12:29*pm, !Jones wrote:
[...]

Even after Michael Press gave you a hint, albeit elliptical, that
computer practice doesn't quite count up to exponentiation? You're
right to run, Jonesy, if you can't even dance the two-step.

I don't see many people engaging in discussion with you... I think
that I'm going to do the nice people over in RAT a favor and proceed
no further.

All those I want to engage with me engage with me. Unfortunately some
ignoramuses and undesirables also respond to my posts. But I'm well
advanced in reducing the number of those in my threads to only the
useful, the knowledgeable and the entertaining. I've already explained
to you that I don't care for being "cool" if it means mindless
acceptance of the stupidities of pointless breathers and eaters; I can
safely leave that sort of hypocritical popularlty to clowns like you.

Jones

Ciao, Jonesy. Mind that someone doesn't mistake you for a rabbit and
pot you for the pot.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Caesar
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 17, 7:34*pm, William Asher wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

Planet Earth has been warming with irregular periods of
cooling for the last 12000 years. It is not proven that
man made CO2 matters. It is not proven that atmospheric
CO2 increases the Earth's temperature. It is not proven
that increased global temperatures are harmful. It _is_
proven that atmospheric CO2 levels have been much
higher in past ages. It _is_ proven that higher
atmospheric CO2 levels than present act to make plants
grow faster.

The only one of your "proven" statements that is true is the final one,
where the FACE data do suggest plants grow faster in high-CO2 environments
(provided they have enough nutrients and water to make use of the
additional CO2 and they are C4 photosynthesizers). *The two about planetary
warming (although you just asserted that as a given at the start) and CO2
levels are not proven, but inferred from proxy data records that could be
shown to be false at some point in the future. *So, if you are using your
statements to believe anthropogenic CO2 has no effect on climate, you are
using false assumptions in your logic, since there is the possibility that
the proxy records are wrong. *

Er, Asher, how can this data hold true when the global warmies want to
use it to prove something (after they've cooked the statistics) but
those opposed to such stupidity aren't allowed to use it on the ground
that new data may be found?

Surely the data shows only one truth, that there isn't any global
warming and zero causal connection between CO2 increase and global
temperature rise.

What is proven is that CO2 absorbs longwave IR radiation, that atmospheric
gases that absorb longwave IR radiation provide a longwave surface
radiative forcing to the planet, and that the Earth's climate is very
sensitive to changes in the radiative forcing both in terms of the
latitudinal distribution and average global magnitude. *Inferences you draw
from those three facts are up to you. *

--
Bill Asher

Where the beef, Asher, the connection, the cause and effect by which
all other science stands or falls, except the religion of global
warming?

Andre Jute
"Loonies like Asher will continue to shout 'Global Warming' until
they suddenly start shouting 'Global Cooling' as if they'd done that
from the beginning." -- Tom Kunich
"Oh, I've seen the loonies do that for half a century. Asher's problem
is that he has such a poor grasp of history, he thinks the New
Apocalypse of Global Warming is brand spanking new and exciting." --
Andre Jute
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:37:29 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Andre
Jute wrote:

You're an idiot...

.... whatever; I have just run out of patients with your incessant name
calling. Bear in mind that being so patently offensive that everyone
else simply walks away in disgust isn't quite the same thing as
winning a debate. May I suggest:

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love
the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be
given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is
to live everything. Live the questions." I think that was Rilke, as I
recall... if he didn't say it, he should have!

When someone asks difficult questions, try to address the question
rather than the person asking it. Live the question!

That is my parting advice to you sir... that, and... have a great
life!!!

Jones

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 17, 9:24*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

You're the feller from those islands some way off the coast of the
Great Country, right? I saw a soundbite on the BBC World Service the
other day in which your prime minister wittered on about what her
government was doing about global warming. She seemed to be impressed
by the fact that the debate is over. She didn't once ask who ended the
debate, or by what argument, nor did she demand any proof, nor did she
seem aware that the only part she read, the Summary for Policy Makers,
reports in many instances the diametric opposite of what the main
report states. I suppose you don't get much choice in your
politicians, what with having such a small population, and so
homogenous, but I certainly wouldn't vote for someone so complacent.

I thank you for the compliments but perhaps you'd care to follow up
with an explanation, because we're none the wiser to your technical
contribution, if indeed any was intended. (You're right, of course; my
original post was intended to run Jonesy around the buoys a couple of
times, as was Michael Press's response to Jonesy, to pay him out for
his pompous self-righteousness.)

Andre Jute
Name one famous New Zealander besides Hillary -- Australian joke
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Here's another who presumes the hypothesis proven before making the
experiment. He just does it marginally more subtly than the other
clowns. His name is Ben Weiner and he's the one who told the lie about
the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age being "merely
eurocentric phenomena" when I pointed out that there is no global
warming when present and recent temperatures are so much lower than
for several centuries in the MWP, and that it is more reasonable to
assume that any warming trend as in the 1990 is merely a recovery from
the LIA. Until the global warmies can explain away those historical,
world-wide phenomena -- and not with statistical lies like Mann and
Briffa told with their Hockey Stick which the IPCC still promotes --
no one in his right mind will believe in global warming. That
essentially means forever, because in every other science but "global
warming", those phenomena are entrenched in the historical record. Now
who could possibly be dumb enough to fall for the debating trade crap
Weiner puts up as arguments below? Offered up for your delectation! --
Andre Jute

On Nov 17, 9:27*pm, "
wrote:
On Nov 16, 11:01*pm, Michael Press wrote:

It is not proven that atmospheric
CO2 increases the Earth's temperature.

It all depends on what the meaning of the word
"proven" is.

It is not proven that if I jump off a two-story building,
I will break my legs. *Human bodies are complicated,
non-linear, and difficult to model, and every landing
is different. *However, given what we know about gravity
and the impact forces on bodies, it is a reasonable
assumption that I will probably break my legs if I land
on my feet. *Arguably the only way to "prove" this is
to either study the results of many documented falls
(we don't have the repeat of N experiments in the
CO2 case) or to jump myself. *However, most people
will accept the physics and figure there's nowhere
for the energy to go but into one's legs, and decline to
jump.

Bill Asher's point about CO2 radiative forcing is similar.
IIRC, the global climate record doesn't have any analogous
examples of rapid changes in the level of CO2 over a
few hundred years (we couldn't resolve timespans of
a few hundred years in the long term climate record anyway).
However, increased CO2 causes radiative forcing, the
climate system is sensitive to radiative forcing, and
there is nowhere else for the energy to go. *If you think
something else happens, how does it happen?

Of course if you wait long enough, we will get an answer -
do you want to wait 50 years and see whether the
temperature has continued to increase? *This is like
saying that you might as well jump, to test the hypothesis.

Ben

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bjw@mambo.ucolick.org is offline

On Nov 17, 4:29*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Here's another who presumes the hypothesis proven before making the
experiment. He just does it marginally more subtly than the other
clowns. His name is Ben Weiner and he's the one who told the lie about
the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age being "merely
eurocentric phenomena" when I pointed out that there is no global
warming when present and recent temperatures are so much lower than
for several centuries in the MWP, ...

The conventional use of quotation marks is to denote
something that someone actually wrote. Thus a reasonable
person, reading Andre's post, could assume that the quotation
is attributed to me and that I described the MWP and Little Ice
Age as "merely eurocentric phenomena." In fact I don't believe
I have ever written that phrase. If you use Google advanced
search for "eurocentric" in rec.bicycles.tech:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ch&sitesearch=

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y928lfk

it only occurs 6 times. Twice in 2004 and four times where
Andre Jute attributes it to me. Falsely, as I never wrote it.
Google search is imperfect, but at this point the burden is
on Jute to prove that I wrote it. I hadn't realized that he had
been repeatedly quoting me on the subject, as I don't
follow all of his climate discussions.

I may have written something about whether or not the
MWP and Little Ice Age were northern-hemisphere only,
which is a legitimate position: see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_warm_period

However, the use of quotation marks means a direct quote,
not some random exaggerated paraphrase you feel like
making up. A famous novelist such as Andre Jute should
understand this. Whether the rest of Jute's beliefs are
equally carefully argued is left to the reader's discretion.

Ben
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

This is what I sent before incorrigible net-criminal Jonesy snipped it
in order to hide his crimes. And then the poor dumb cluck has the
cheek to lecture me once more!

*******

Jute wrote:
You're an idiot...

... whatever; I have just run out of patients with your incessant name
calling. *Bear in mind that being so patently offensive that everyone
else simply walks away in disgust isn't quite the same thing as
winning a debate. *May I suggest:

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love
the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be
given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is
to live everything. Live the questions." *I think that was Rilke, as I
recall... if he didn't say it, he should have!

When someone asks difficult questions, try to address the question
rather than the person asking it. *Live the question!

That is my parting advice to you sir... that, and... have a great
life!!!

Jones

Then you should concentrate on the question of your poor manners and
your dictatorial manner, Jonesy, instead of throwing personalities
against me. And instead of trying to lie that you didn't make a dumb
mistake by trying to deprive RAT of a thread they own.

The final irony is when pompous moralists like Jonesy can't even keep
to their own rules, even as they try to impose them on others.

It ill serves the memory of Rainer Maria Rilke to have his name taken
in ****poor pastiche by such a clown! Here's the real thing for
comparison: "One must of course forgive one's enemies, but not before
they are hanged." -- Rilke

Andre Jute
Nobless oblige -- until my patience runs out with a foul-mannered,
pompous American fool
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 18, 2:02*am, !Jones wrote:

That is my parting advice to you sir... that, and... have a great
life!!!

Just be sure that you have gotten under Andre's skin. His typical
reaction to someone who cannot be intimidated, buffaloed or otherwise
crushed is to baffle them with bull**** as he is congenitally and
entirely unable to confront them with the facts. His pattern is to
attempt to outlast any with the temerity to confront him with his
inadequacies. After which when (as is typical) he will kpretend to
kill-file them. Intermediate steps will likely include a series of
sock-puppets and proxies.

You are in that special group to get the full Jute Treatment. Not only
is it utterly predictable, it is also predictably pathetic. Note his
pattern will include stuttering, repetition, 'excutive summaries' and
various other devices and patterns connected only by an increasing
desperation.

Have fun - playing with Andre is a bit like playing with a hognose
snake - that he is a snake is clear, that he has pretensions of
toxicity is equally clear. But the brute fact of the matter is that he
is a pretentious, fangless little remittance man driven to an Irish
backwater as the rest of the world would not have him - and the Irish,
an historically tolerant people - allow him to live out the rest of
his unhappy days sequestered in a dark room in front of a glowing CRT
grasping at an unattainable glory.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:48:31 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Peter
Wieck wrote:

Just be sure that you have gotten under Andre's skin.

Actually, I wasn't trying to do that. Heck, I never even particularly
disagreed with the chap... I admitted right up front that I didn't
know much about global warming.

I wonder what it is about that topic that floats his boat. I'd expect
someone who believed that we needed to save the planet to be
passionate... never met anyone who was passionate about apathy...
until now, I mean.

Strangest thing I ever did see... well... I saw a six-toed cat once; I
spoze that was stranger.

Jones

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Wieck wrote:
Just be sure that you have gotten under Andre's skin.

Actually, I wasn't trying to do that. *Heck, I never even particularly
disagreed with the chap... I admitted right up front that I didn't
know much about global warming.

I wonder what it is about that topic that floats his boat. *I'd expect
someone who believed that we needed to save the planet to be
passionate... never met anyone who was passionate about apathy...
until now, I mean.

Strangest thing I ever did see... well... I saw a six-toed cat once; I
spoze that was stranger.

Jones

Well, if you check the latest blather from Bard of Bandon, you will
see that he has spun into his usual response to anyone/anything that
flows counter to his demands - now there are (at least) two threads
complete with stutters, repeated self-quoting and the typical coterie
of sock-puppets, sycophants and slavies that gather about him akin to
flies gathering about - well you get the picture.

Andre works at being a Bozo - assiduously. It is the center of his
being and his single and singular goal in life. He never misses an
opportunity to practice his avocation and becomes positively ferocious
when crossed in his pursuit of ignorance.

Polydactyl cats are relatively common - 58% in some breeds. Andre, on
the other hand is thankfully and blessedly unique.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:06:03 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech Peter
Wieck wrote:

I have an old amplifier in my garage. *It just surfaced a few days ago
as I was cleaning... it's a box with a bunch of tubes and stuff on
top, but that won't tell you much, I don't suppose. *OK, there's a
data plate: it says it's a McIntosh 20W-2 mono-tube. *It was my
father's... I'm guessing it was manufactured in the '40s. *I remember
using it in the '60s listening to the Beach Boys... "Everybody's gone
surrrrrfin..." ("TURN THAT NOISE DOWN!!!") *I'd be leary of plugging
it it today; however, the cord still looks OK. *Does that have any
value?

Jones

Sure does. And, correct, don't plug it in without the proper test
equipment (metered variac for a start).

There are individuals who will pay real money for that. Not me, but
there are those out there.

OK, so... headers trimmed to eliminate the bicycle group (who, I'm
sure, are less than interested,) what is the big deal about old tube
stuff? Is it better?

Actually, I have a whole system with an 8-track, Perpetuum Ebner
turntable (you know... for the old LP records) and a few 8-track
tapes... Moody Blues, *Every Good Boy Deserves Favor* and some
Jefferson Airplane!!! "One pill makes you tiny and one pill makes yoy
tall..." ("I'VE TOLD YOU FOR THE LAST TIME... TURN THAT DAMN NOISE
DOWN...")

I only have one speaker box... as I recall, we tore the magnets out of
the other one in the '70s.

We must have been in some kind of a record club because I have a
****load of... well... folk songs and... whatever they are... Casey
Jones??? Erie Canal??? (".... if you've ever navigated on...")

If anybody is close to Corpus Christi, TX and likes that stuff... ?

Jones

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
mike[_5_] mike[_5_] is offline

In article 46545d80-d6a6-4ef4-99f1-cd7232bd8608
@x6g2000prc.googlegroups.com, says...
On Nov 17, 9:24*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

You surmise correctly...

I saw a soundbite on the BBC World Service the
other day in which your prime minister wittered on about what her
government was doing about global warming.

Helen hasn't been prime-minister here for over a year, she works for the
UN these days. Her replacement, from the slightly right-of-centre party
(she was slightly-left-of-centre) is following a similar climate-change
policy.

She seemed to be impressed
by the fact that the debate is over. She didn't once ask who ended the
debate, or by what argument, nor did she demand any proof, nor did she
seem aware that the only part she read, the Summary for Policy Makers,
reports in many instances the diametric opposite of what the main
report states. I suppose you don't get much choice in your
politicians, what with having such a small population, and so
homogenous, but I certainly wouldn't vote for someone so complacent.

Name one famous New Zealander besides Hillary -- Australian joke

New Zealanders who emigrate to Australia contribute to a rise in average
IQ in both countries -- New Zealand joke.

Mike - signing off for a month trekking in Nepal.
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 18, 11:12*pm, mike wrote:

Mike - signing off for a month trekking in Nepal.

He'll no doubt come back and tell us it was unnaturally warm and
polluted, and he could hardly breathe for excess CO2!

Have a happy holiday, Mike.

Andre Jute
Wishing I had the foresight to overwinter in Adelaide...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Wieck wrote:
[...]

Jones- Hide quoted text -

OK... a couple of ground rules.

I am giving opinions, not holy writ.
I am not necessarily a fair arbiter as I am also showing my
preferences.
Here in the East, vintage equipment in good condition is thick on the
ground. Many of the 'majors' originated around here, and where I sit
is within 200 miles of several major manufacturers, some (such as
McIntosh) still extant.

McIntosh is considered by many as among the first makers to bring
consistent, well-designed, well made, well executed tube audio
equipment to the mass market - albeit the high end of that market.
Along with Saul Marantz, Avery Fisher and a few others of the time,
McIntosh more-or-less defined that market. Unlike the other two
mentioned McIntosh did not attempt to spread too far or become too
large, stayed focused on their niche and accordingly have survived to
this day. Their equipment - even their very earliest entries - are the
stuff of legend and as much because of this have retained an
disproportionately important place in the hearts of Audio collectors
world-wide. In many ways they are the Harley-Davidson of Audio,
surviving their competitors and foreign invaders despite all odds. I
am sure there is a Japanese collector out there who might just give
you well into four figures for that amp assuming it to be in good,
clean, restorable condition. Even more strangely, that same collector
might never play it, ever - just leave it on the display shelf with a
reverential label describing its origin and function. All that would
depend on originality, condition, scarcity, condition, model number,
condition, age and finally, condition of course. And, it could also
not be worth much more than its scrap value either as above. But that
is unlikely given the name.

As to moving parts (8-track, PE table and such) - they are truly a
moving target. The 8-Track might get you a few bucks to a collector of
8-tracks unless it is a Lear or some such, or has other non-function-
related value. Same as the PE Table. Likely that was brought back by a
military person as for the most part those tables were sold under the
DUAL name here in the US. Were you to have a matching McIntosh pre-amp
or tuner - that could also run into real money. It is 'all in
accordance with' - I would suggest that you check out completed
listings on eBay Audiogon and similar sources to get an idea of what
the prices might run and if anything like your stuff has been sold
there in the recent past.

Writing for myself, my equipment is functional, maintained as
functional and in service most of the time. As big as this house is, I
still have limited space - that is no space for shelf-queens or museum
pieces unless they are actually functional as well. So I have no
interest in your equipment and I will not pretend to have any. There
are five operating stereos in place, divided 3 (solid-state) and 2
(tube) - and the makings of several more. That is many-enough. And
enough vintage radios to handle the need fo 'mono' stuff. As you are
in Texas - even shipping R/T for restoration (which I would do) may
not get you enough added value to what you have already unless you
want it for yourself. From your statements that seems unlikely - but
that is just a guess. I suggest you do a bit of research if you want
to dispose of the stuff - you might be very pleasantly surprised.

As to whether 'old tube stuff' is "better" or not - that depends. I
happen to like the Dynaco ST-70 power amp - with a few tweaks and
modifications. I find it reliable, well-behaved and very pleasant. My
own front-line unit is 30 years in my hands and has operated for
thousands of hours without the tiniest problem - just standard care-
and-feeding. Others think they are the product of the devil and exist
only to frustrate. De gustibus and all that. Similarly, I have no use
at all for the Marantz 10B (Legendary tuner) - It is not so good a
tuner for my needs - but it ain't nohow the cost - I do keep a Revox
A720 (2 as it happens) as it is actually functional where the 10B was
not. Again, all a matter of taste. My Scott LK-150 will be pried from
my dead hands, however. And so forth and so on.

Take care,

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
!Jones !Jones is offline

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:08:51 -0800 (PST), in rec.audio.tubes Peter
Wieck wrote:

Same as the PE Table. Likely that was brought back by a
military person as for the most part those tables were sold under the
DUAL name here in the US.

This is true. I bought it in the PX in Vung Tau, Vietnam about '69.

Jones

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Bill Sornson[_2_] Bill Sornson[_2_] is offline

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
William Asher wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

Year 535 saw the onset of the dark ages. Literally the
sky was dark, weather became cold and wet all around
the globe, civil order disappeared. About 800 the
weather started getting warm, a period known as the
medieval warm period. Agriculture flourished, northern
Europe saw a population explosion. Fourteenth century,
the weather inexplicably turned cold and wet again.
Grain rotted on the stalk. People had lost touch with
their roots: turnip, beet, rutabega cabbage. Wheat
bread is too good to give. They became malnourished,
famine walked the land, and they were carried off by
bubonic plague. Weather stayed cold until about 1850.
The Thames river froze every winter and London threw an
ice fair on the frozen river. In 1815 a series of
eruptions in Indonesia culminated in a massive eruption
of Tambora. The effect was crop failures in 1816 and
food riots. The weather has been warming, but is not as
warm as it was a thousand years ago.

Clearly Bush's fault, all of it.

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Michael Press Michael Press is offline

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

On Nov 17, 6:36Â*am, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
Planet Earth has been warming with irregular periods of
cooling for the last 12000 years. It is not proven that
man made CO2 matters. It is not proven that atmospheric
CO2 increases the Earth's temperature. It is not proven
that increased global temperatures are harmful. It _is_
proven that atmospheric CO2 levels have been much
higher in past ages. It _is_ proven that higher
atmospheric CO2 levels than present act to make plants
grow faster.

Oh, man. Â*The cool kids (no double meaning intended) are NOT going to like
seeing you express this.

Bill "just a tad stunned" S.

Man, you take the words right out of my mouth. Whatever moved Michael
to "betray the cause"

I have not betrayed anything or anyone.
You have misread me.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Guess Guess is offline

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message ...
Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
William Asher wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

Eruptions in Indonesia in 1815? Naw, clearly Obama's fault,
just like everything else from the banking collapse to swine flu.
Just ask an American Expert on Everything like Lard Valve or
Flipper.

Supreme Court Worship Comes First With Respectable Conservatives Bret L Audio Opinions 0 August 31st 09 07:23 AM
Keith's hatred of effective worship experiences. George M. Middius[_4_] Audio Opinions 2 January 18th 09 02:53 AM
Sluttie's worship of the Krooborg Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 1 October 7th 04 11:38 PM
FA: NOS GZ34 iga Vacuum Tubes 0 April 19th 04 04:16 PM
weekly recording of worship service (speaking / music) Ben Bradley Pro Audio 0 July 3rd 03 03:53 AM