Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Wylie Williams

Default The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity

Pardon the top posting:

Bose gets a lot of audiophile criticism, which is both deserved and
undeserved. I have sold stereo since 1980, never Bose, and I also have made
negative remarks about Bose. My take on Bose is this:

Bose's main flaw is overpricing, as the product dosn't live up to the price.
Superb marketing makes the name command Mercedes prices for Hyundai
performance. My point is that there is nothing wrong with a Hyundai, but if
priced at $30,000 and up many would be tempted to call it junk.

The 901 is a special case in one way and typical of Bose in others. In the
70's I briefly had a pair and found it different from all others. It is
special in that it's a small speaker that spreads a big sound all around a
room, and to many that is a great virtue. It is typical in that Bose works
hard to develop products that appeal to the average man.

I wouldn't buy Bose, I wouldn't sell Bose, but I see that Bose owners are
very happy with their speakers. I think this level of satisfaction is mostly
a result of brainwashing, but it is nevertheless real.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store
Saint Louis Missouri