Posted to rec.audio.tech
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu

Default analog vs digital connection

Probably an old question but I haven't seen any msgs on the subject.

Considering that the 5.1 DVD "universal" players that uses analog
connections for the 5.1 outputs & that the DTS & DD decoding is
decoced & passed as analog, is there a "real" difference in sonic
perception? especially for "non-golden" elderly ears?

I acknowledge that there may be a theoretical advantage for a digital
connection over the analog cables.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote in message
Probably an old question but I haven't seen any msgs on the subject.

Considering that the 5.1 DVD "universal" players that uses analog
connections for the 5.1 outputs & that the DTS & DD decoding is
decoced & passed as analog, is there a "real" difference in sonic
perception? especially for "non-golden" elderly ears?

I acknowledge that there may be a theoretical advantage for a digital
connection over the analog cables.

The main advantage of having the 5.1 outputs on the dvd player is just if
you happen to have a receiver which has discrete 5.1 inputs but which has no
digital input or cannot decode Dolby Digital or DTS signals. Most if not all
newer surround receivers have digital inputs and decode these formats, so
dvd players with the discrete 5.1 outputs are increasingly rare.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. com...

wrote in message
Probably an old question but I haven't seen any msgs on the subject.

Considering that the 5.1 DVD "universal" players that uses analog
connections for the 5.1 outputs & that the DTS & DD decoding is
decoced & passed as analog, is there a "real" difference in sonic
perception? especially for "non-golden" elderly ears?

I acknowledge that there may be a theoretical advantage for a digital
connection over the analog cables.

The main advantage of having the 5.1 outputs on the dvd player is just if
you happen to have a receiver which has discrete 5.1 inputs but which has

no
digital input or cannot decode Dolby Digital or DTS signals. Most if not

all
newer surround receivers have digital inputs and decode these formats, so
dvd players with the discrete 5.1 outputs are increasingly rare.

I would say that the advantage to having 5.1 outputs would be not having to
replace your perfectly good two-channel amps with an often lower-quality
"audio/video" receiver with a cheap DD/DTS decoder and cheaper yet D/A
filter and/or converter(s). Not to mention RFI due to poor circuit board
layout or too many "features" being packed into one box.

The advantages of an A/V receiver as I see it have to do with controlling
the volume with one remote, plus being able to take the optical feed from
your DVD player which has no DD/DTS decoder and use all six speakers.

Mark Z.