Posted to rec.audio.pro
Diego

Default recording "classical" music

Is there any book about the recording of "classical" music?

Thanks,

Gigio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Diego wrote:
Is there any book about the recording of "classical" music?

Many of them. Are you interested in mike technique, performance issues,
editing, or production?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Diego

Thanks Scott!
mainly in mike tecnique and editing.
I already have some experience, but need some books for a course...

Gigio

"Scott Dorsey" ha scritto nel messaggio
Diego wrote:
Is there any book about the recording of "classical" music?

Many of them. Are you interested in mike technique, performance issues,
editing, or production?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Diego wrote:
Thanks Scott!
mainly in mike tecnique and editing.
I already have some experience, but need some books for a course...

Lots of folks will recommend the Focal Press "Microphones" book from the BBC,
and the New Stereo Soundbook. Both are good.

But don't forget the Cambridge Companion to the Orchestra (not entirely
on topic but a must-have for the one chapter on recording), and any of
David Hall's books.

Also read the tech notes on www.josephson.com which has some good info
on stereophony.

But get the DVD "The Golden Ring" that Decca released, whatever you do.
It's a BBC documentary about recording the Ring Cycle, and it does more
than anything else I have ever seen to describe what actually goes on
at a classical session. It's dated in a lot of ways (these days, the
pace is a lot faster), and there are some things that the Decca engineers
did that I'd prefer to avoid, but it's something you absolutely must watch.
Decca DVD 071 153-9

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

snips

But get the DVD "The Golden Ring" that Decca released, whatever you do.
It's a BBC documentary about recording the Ring Cycle, and it does more
than anything else I have ever seen to describe what actually goes on
at a classical session. It's dated in a lot of ways (these days, the
pace is a lot faster), and there are some things that the Decca engineers
did that I'd prefer to avoid, but it's something you absolutely must watch.
Decca DVD 071 153-9

A hearty "seconded". This is a fascinating watch. I've only seen it once a
at a friend's; got to get my own copy.

A question, though... A few of the scenes showed editing the 1/4" tape on
what looked like an old Studer machine (C37 or perhaps even older).
Completely expected.

But earlier on, in one of the session scenes, I thought I saw a similar
machine with 1" tape on it.

Was this a 1" 2-track??? A 1" 4-track? (Can't imagine it was 8 track.) If
I'm not completely mis-remembering this, it was a big surprise to see that
tape format in this setting -- best I could glean it was strictly a "live
to 2-track" approach (they even had a guy whose job it was to maintain
stereo continuity -- "the stereo man", IIRC), so I would not have expected
any multi-track decks. Curious if anyone knows the story.

Regardless, very much recommended.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Diego

Thanks again Scott!
Just ordered the DVD.

Diego wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Frank Stearns wrote:

But earlier on, in one of the session scenes, I thought I saw a similar
machine with 1" tape on it.

Yes.

Was this a 1" 2-track??? A 1" 4-track? (Can't imagine it was 8 track.) If
I'm not completely mis-remembering this, it was a big surprise to see that
tape format in this setting -- best I could glean it was strictly a "live
to 2-track" approach (they even had a guy whose job it was to maintain
stereo continuity -- "the stereo man", IIRC), so I would not have expected
any multi-track decks. Curious if anyone knows the story.

Earlier on, there is a mention of "multitrack tapes" also being run, but
no detail. It wasn't a 2" 2-track, since that's a very modern format,
but it could well have been a 4-track safety.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Earlier on, there is a mention of "multitrack tapes" also being run, but
no detail. It wasn't a 2" 2-track, since that's a very modern format,
but it could well have been a 4-track safety.

err.. wasn't a 1" 2-track.... that's what I meant to type.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Earlier on, there is a mention of "multitrack tapes" also being run, but
no detail. It wasn't a 2" 2-track, since that's a very modern format,
but it could well have been a 4-track safety.

Probably. 1" 4-track seems to have been a regular format in Europe; I think
Abbey Road had 'em.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

Meanwhile, you also might want to look for "The Technique of the Sound
Studio" as another possible source.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

i like "the microphone book" by john eargle.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham

Paul Stamler wrote:

Meanwhile, you also might want to look for "The Technique of the Sound
Studio" as another possible source.

There have been several editions of this over the years. Comparing them
gives a fascinating insight into the changes in technology.

One edition shows the great hopes the BBC had for for broadcast
surround-sound, it occupied a lot of pages in the book and vanished
without trace almost before that particular edition was published.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Reedijk Rob Reedijk is offline

Diego wrote:
Is there any book about the recording of "classical" music?

Bruce Bartlett has a book call "Stereo Microphone Techniques" that is
quite informative. Much of the text seems to be available on the net,
including
http://www.tape.com/Bartlett_Article...echniques.html
http://www.tape.com/Bartlett_Article...rocedures.html

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message
Diego wrote:
Is there any book about the recording of "classical" music?

Bruce Bartlett has a book call "Stereo Microphone Techniques" that is
quite informative. Much of the text seems to be available on the net,
including
http://www.tape.com/Bartlett_Article...echniques.html
http://www.tape.com/Bartlett_Article...rocedures.html

There's also a good deal of information about recording classical music in
Alec Nisbett's "The Technique of the Sound Studio".

Peace,
Paul