Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Default Nakamichi Receiver - OK To Leave It On?

I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:09:40 -0700, EADGBE
wrote:

I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

Some high-powered equipment is NCR - Not Continuously Rated. Run it
for too long, it is in danger of overheating. Doubtless there will be
a thermal cutoff preventing damage.

Domestic hi-fi is not in this category. After a relatively short
period of time its temperature stabilises. It won't get any hotter
running for ten days than it would in ten minutes.

Berate him for wasting power. But don't worry.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

13 years old is a tricky age - just when you *don't* want to be
confrontational and risk a serious, long term alienation with 'bans' and
such which will need continual reinforcement.

Just tell him you'll kick his arse if he does it again....

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

"EADGBE" wrote ...
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Didn't he watch the Algore-athon? Save the planet, etc. :-)
Apparently nobody else watched it either.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

**Nope, you're not. Apart form the needless waste of energy and additional
greenhouse effects (which he and his generation will have to deal with) all
electrolytic capacitors within the amplifier will wear out faster.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

In article . com,
EADGBE writes
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Sounds to me like he needs education on such matters!.

When I were a lad and we were right poor etc .. we used to have a slot
meter. Than meant finding a load of half crowns 2/6 in the old money to
stuff it with so as we had to pay as you consumed you didn't want to be
put to that much bother going down the corner shop etc to get change
from a Quid etc.

And old turn it of when not in use habits die very hard I'm pleased to
say...

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

In article , Richard Crowley
writes
"EADGBE" wrote ...
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Didn't he watch the Algore-athon? Save the planet, etc. :-)
Apparently nobody else watched it either.

And what a complete load of old bollox that was..wasters....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article . com,
EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Remove the receiver until he learns to be more careful with other's money.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

Any half decent electronic apparatus shouldn't be worried by continuous
use - especially in a quiescent state.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

Hello,

Probably not that bad for the receiver, some audiophiles believe in
never turning off equipment, though I don't agree with that. Banning
him from using it might be a bit extreme.

I'd show your son the electric bill, and mention how energy usage
affects your family budget. Maybe discuss how much power things take
and what it costs. For example, leaving a PC that draws around 200
watts on all of the time (24 hours per day) means 4800 watt/hours per
day, nearly 5KW/hours, so if your power costs 20 cents per kilowatt
hour, leaving your PC on all of the time costs you nearly $1.00 per day.
Even more if your Air Conditioning is trying to get rid of that 200
watts of heat from the PC. Hopefully he'll learn from that. He sure
will when he has to pay the bills.

Regards,
Tim
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

There are differences of opinion regarding sound quality issues, but there's
simply no denying that just leaving receivers etc on continuously ages
certain internal components and connections faster.

Doing this once did not likely cause any significant problem, but it's a
really bad habit.

I had a dealer that was telling people to just leave their CRT-BASED BIG
SCREEN TV'S on continuously,

After less than 3 years the CRT's were gone, at a repair cost of over
1200.00 each.

Completely irresponsible advice.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
There are differences of opinion regarding sound quality issues, but
there's simply no denying that just leaving receivers etc on
continuously ages certain internal components and connections faster.

How long do you expect to keep an amp, etc?

Plenty of electronics - alarms, clocks, aerial and distribution amps etc -
in the home is on 24/7 and seems to survive ok.

Going a bit further, things like surveillance systems - including monitors
are expected to have a long and reliable life when used 24/7.

Your hypothesis is suspect - unless referring to some valve equipment, but
even then can have a very long life if well designed.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

EADGBE wrote:

I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Did you never try teaching him anything ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Jul 9, 8:09 pm, EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

This is an interesting issue. For a quick answer, I suggest you just
tell your son to turn it off or else. Deduct his allowance or
something. He needs to learn why leaving it powered on may not be a
good thing. Once he learns that, let him do what he wants.

For the longer answer, let me start by saying that I leave my amp on
all the time. I do it for 3 reasons:

1. I don't want to wear out any power components over time by the
constant powering up and down of the system. I do the same with my
computer, leave it powered on and configure it to sleep and I only
power off the monitor, the biggest consumer of electrical power in
most computer systems.
2. I know that my amp, a Yamaha AX-596, is a class A-B system which
draws insignificant amounts of power when it is powered on and doing
nothing.
3. The record-out selector on the AX-596, enabling the Computer to
record FM radio etc, does not function when the amp is powered off.

Now , if I owned a class A amp, the type of amp that draws
considerable amounts of power even when idle, I would plug it into a
power strip and power off the power strip when not in use.

Hope this helps.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

EADGBE wrote:
[...]

Great advice for the service dept's business though.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"codifus" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 9, 8:09 pm, EADGBE wrote:
[...]

****ing any power away unnecessarily is an insult to those who don't
have it....

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

codifus wrote:

For the longer answer, let me start by saying that I leave my amp on
all the time. I do it for 3 reasons:

1. I don't want to wear out any power components over time by the
constant powering up and down of the system.

For any decently designed piece of equipment the idea that components will wear
out by being switched on is a pure fiction. Certain components (notably
electrolytic capacitors) *will* however wear out by being left on.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Rob[_3_] Rob[_3_] is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
There are differences of opinion regarding sound quality issues, but
there's simply no denying that just leaving receivers etc on
continuously ages certain internal components and connections faster.

How long do you expect to keep an amp, etc?

Plenty of electronics - alarms, clocks, aerial and distribution amps etc -
in the home is on 24/7 and seems to survive ok.

Going a bit further, things like surveillance systems - including monitors
are expected to have a long and reliable life when used 24/7.

Your hypothesis is suspect - unless referring to some valve equipment, but
even then can have a very long life if well designed.

Isn't it the case that amplifiers in particular tend to tun hot, and
this shortens the life of certain components? Clocks and things don't
tend to run hot at all IME.

A peculiarity of a Cambridge receiver I have is that it runs hot when
idle, but cools down considerably when in use.

Anyways, it's waste of money and planets to keep things on all the time.

Rob
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Eeysore ****ing ASD ****ed Tenth Wit"

For any decently designed piece of equipment the idea that components will
wear
out by being switched on is a pure fiction.

** Shame about all valves, all forms of lamps, X caps, etc etc....

Certain components (notably electrolytic capacitors) *will* however wear
out by being left on.

** Electros deteriorate faster when left in storage, as compared to being
operated normally & at room temp.

Life is reduced by operation OR storage at elevated temps.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Phil Allison wrote:

"Eeysore ****ing ASD ****ed Tenth Wit"

For any decently designed piece of equipment the idea that components will
wear out by being switched on is a pure fiction.

** Shame about all valves,

Incompetent design. It's perfectly possible as you know to deal with that. How
many ppl use an item of valve equipment anyway ?

all forms of lamps,

You'd leave lights on all the time ?

X caps, etc etc....

I've never seen a failed *X cap*. I've seen caps fail when used across the line
when they weren't so rated but that's incompetent design again.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:42:59 -0700, codifus
wrote:

1. I don't want to wear out any power components over time by the
constant powering up and down of the system.

I think this is a myth. Certainly it's disputed.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Eeysore, ****ing ASD ****ed Tenth Wit"

= Graham Stevenson,

UK's MOST EVIL PSYCHO CRIMINAL ******

For any decently designed piece of equipment the idea that components
will
wear out by being switched on is a pure fiction.

** Shame about all valves,

Incompetent design. It's perfectly possible as you know to deal with that.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- do tell us all how to make valves last forever !!!!!!!

Include all CRTs and CRO tubes - of course.

How many ppl use an item of valve equipment anyway ?

** Round about one or maybe two billion............

You ASININE sub human pile of CRIMINAL EXCRETA !

X caps, etc etc....

I've never seen a failed *X cap*.

**

So Usenet's most notorious, donkey ****ing ASS

has wanked himself TOTALLY BLIND

What a ****ING HOOT.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Walt Walt is offline

EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

There aren't any moving parts in a receiver, so there's nothing
mechanical to wear out. I bought a Technics receiver in 1978 and left it
on continuously (except for when I moved) until I replaced it in 2005.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's a school of thought that power
cycles (turning it on and off) place more wear on it than leaving it on.

As for the power consumption, a receiver at idle uses an insignificant
amount. I wouldn't sweat that either.

Now, lights, motors, TV's, ovens, etc do use a significant amount of
power when they're on - you should teach your son to turn these off when
not in use, but that's another topic.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Phil Allison wrote:

For any decently designed piece of equipment the idea that components
will wear out by being switched on is a pure fiction.

** Shame about all valves,

Incompetent design. It's perfectly possible as you know to deal with that.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- do tell us all how to make valves last forever !!!!!!!

Include all CRTs and CRO tubes - of course.

Irrelevant to the original question

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Walt wrote:

There's a school of thought that power cycles (turning it on and off) place
more wear on it than leaving it on.

There's also a school of thought that the earth is flat.

Switching competently designed equipment on and off at normal intervals has no
adverse effect on the lifetime.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Walt wrote:

As for the power consumption, a receiver at idle uses an insignificant
amount.

Could easily be ~ 20W.

That's 175 kWh annually.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default UK's MOST EVIL PSYCHO CRIMINAL

"Eeysore, ****ing ASD ****ed Tenth Wit"

= Graham Stevenson,

UK's MOST EVIL PSYCHO CRIMINAL ******

For any decently designed piece of equipment the idea that
components
will wear out by being switched on is a pure fiction.

** Shame about all valves,

Incompetent design. It's perfectly possible as you know to deal with
that.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- do tell us all how to make valves last forever !!!!!!!

Include all CRTs and CRO tubes - of course.

Irrelevant to the original question

** This pile of AUTISTIC sub human **** is caught out lying his ****ing
ARSE off yet again.

Time someone tracked the criminal ****ING TROLL down and dealt with it.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"Walt" wrote in message
EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

There aren't any moving parts in a receiver, so there's nothing mechanical
to wear out. I bought a Technics receiver in 1978 and left it on
continuously (except for when I moved) until I replaced it in 2005.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's a school of thought that power cycles
(turning it on and off) place more wear on it than leaving it on.

As for the power consumption, a receiver at idle uses an insignificant
amount. I wouldn't sweat that either.

A receiver at idle will use something like 6-10 W, which over 1 year is
52kW/h even at the 6 watt level. Not insignificant in my view. A couple of
years ago, I measured everything I normally left on standby, including
cookers, ovens TV etc but excluding fridges and freezers and had something
in excess of 400 watts, or 3500 kW/h per year. I now turn off or unplug at
least half of what I used just to leave on standby.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Jul 10, 8:53 am, "Keith G" wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 9, 8:09 pm, EADGBE wrote:
[...]

Yes it is, but we're talking miniscule amounts We're ****ing atoms.
Here in the US, soccer moms drive around giant SUVs usually at 10%
capacity. These SUVs have AWD which is almost never used, yet it is
always being paid for thru drivetrain losses and poor gas mileage.
Computer datacenters consume HUGE amounts of power to keep things
frigid and the servers inside normally run at 20% for most of their
lifetime. Yet, regarding leaving the power on of an amplifier gets
this rebuff?
Come on now. That's why I encouraged the OP to make his son realize
that it is wasteful, just not so much.

if everyone in the USA turned off their stereo right now, how much
would that save?
If every soccer mom traded in the SUV for a more fuel efficient,
perhaps FWD vehcle, how much would that save?
If every datacenter found a way to more efficiently use their
resources, how much would that save?

Let's keep things in perspective.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"codifus" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 10, 8:53 am, "Keith G" wrote:

****ing any power away unnecessarily is an insult to those who don't
have it....

Yes it is, but we're talking miniscule amounts We're ****ing atoms.

snip story of scared motorists and their mobile fortresses

Let's keep things in perspective.

Sure.

Most people talk about 'damage to the planet' - rest assured the planet
will survive, it's the human beans that will very likely not.....

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
dizzy dizzy is offline

EADGBE wrote:

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

A good beating might help...

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

codifus wrote:

if everyone in the USA turned off their stereo right now, how much
would that save?
If every soccer mom traded in the SUV for a more fuel efficient,
perhaps FWD vehcle, how much would that save?
If every datacenter found a way to more efficiently use their
resources, how much would that save?

It's precisely by NOT doing those things that Americans use vastly more energy
per head of population than anyone else on the planet. About twice as much as
the average European AIUI.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

In article om, codifus
writes
On Jul 10, 8:53 am, "Keith G" wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 9, 8:09 pm, EADGBE wrote:
[...]

Yes quite!. My granny used to say look after the pennies and the pounds will
look after themselves..

Its an attitude that begins at home.. And that goes for power consumption...

CD

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
if everyone in the USA turned off their stereo right now, how much
would that save?
If every soccer mom traded in the SUV for a more fuel efficient,
perhaps FWD vehcle, how much would that save?
If every datacenter found a way to more efficiently use their
resources, how much would that save?

It's precisely by NOT doing those things that Americans use vastly more
energy per head of population than anyone else on the planet. About
twice as much as the average European AIUI.

And the average European would *love* to be able to afford to do the same.
Then there's the Chinese, Indians, Africans. All of which aspire to be
wealthy. With wealth comes consumption.

If global warming truly is the fault of man's consumption there is
absolutely nothing can be done about it by man. Eventually, nature will
sort it. Luckily I won't be around when it does.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Yes quite!. My granny used to say look after the pennies and the pounds
will look after themselves..

'Mony a mickle maks a muckle' as they say. Somewhere.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:32:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

It's precisely by NOT doing those things that Americans use vastly more
energy per head of population than anyone else on the planet. About
twice as much as the average European AIUI.

And the average European would *love* to be able to afford to do the same.
Then there's the Chinese, Indians, Africans. All of which aspire to be
wealthy. With wealth comes consumption.

If global warming truly is the fault of man's consumption there is
absolutely nothing can be done about it by man. Eventually, nature will
sort it. Luckily I won't be around when it does.

Am I the only reasonably affluent European who is perfectly empowered
to over-consume but often chooses not to? I'm no paragon, but waste
makes me uncomfortable, so I don't do it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
RobertL RobertL is offline

On Jul 10, 1:09 am, EADGBE wrote:
I bought a used Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver and I am currently
using it in a spare room to amplify a DVD
player.

I have a 13 year old son who never turns things off. And by "never" I
mean NEVER EVER.

Every time he uses the receiver to watch a DVD, he simply walks away
from it when he is finished.

Today I came home from work and found it on. He had used it that
morning, so I estimate that this amplifier had been on for about _8_
solid hours when I came home and discovered it.

Is this bad for it? It has good ventilation all round it, but it was
quite warm from being on so long.

Should I ban him from using the receiver, or am I being needlessly
picky?

IME it's the switches and buttons on these things that usually wear
out first. Also electrical faults usually arise during the power-up
process. So, he's actually helping your amp to have a long life.

Robert

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
Am I the only reasonably affluent European who is perfectly empowered
to over-consume but often chooses not to?

Not at all, but unfortunately wealthy, non-greedy, non-selfish people do
seem to be in the minority, the world over.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:
Yes quite!. My granny used to say look after the pennies and the pounds
will look after themselves..

'Mony a mickle maks a muckle' as they say. Somewhere.

That's the Scottish for you. They're always drunk.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

if everyone in the USA turned off their stereo right now, how much
would that save?
If every soccer mom traded in the SUV for a more fuel efficient,
perhaps FWD vehcle, how much would that save?
If every datacenter found a way to more efficiently use their
resources, how much would that save?

It's precisely by NOT doing those things that Americans use vastly more
energy per head of population than anyone else on the planet. About
twice as much as the average European AIUI.

And the average European would *love* to be able to afford to do the same.

No.

Why would I want to leave appliances on for no good reason or drive a stupid SUV
?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

It's precisely by NOT doing those things that Americans use vastly more
energy per head of population than anyone else on the planet. About
twice as much as the average European AIUI.

And the average European would *love* to be able to afford to do the same.
Then there's the Chinese, Indians, Africans. All of which aspire to be
wealthy. With wealth comes consumption.

If global warming truly is the fault of man's consumption there is
absolutely nothing can be done about it by man. Eventually, nature will
sort it. Luckily I won't be around when it does.

Am I the only reasonably affluent European who is perfectly empowered
to over-consume but often chooses not to? I'm no paragon, but waste
makes me uncomfortable, so I don't do it.

Waste is absurd. The amount of FOOD wasted is a crime.

Graham