Curious

Default Opposite of Mu-law?

Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..

If you attentuate the signal going into the A/D (by, say, 10dB),
the signal level that causes clipping will be louder (by that same
10dB). This is the standard way of doing things. For a given system,
setting the level is always a compromise between headroom and noise.

But I am not doing A/D. I have a CD-ROM that can extract digital audio
from the CD itself rather than recording from the CD.

This all seems too simple - can you explain your application in
more detail? Why do you need to "increase the clipping point?"

I want loud music w/out the clipping. I don't like the "red" when I
play through my computer software. Clipping has the effect of making
me "feel sorry" for the system. It makes the music depressing. I also
get the creepy feeling that something in the computer is getting
physically damaged because of the clipping. No signs of any damage but
the "placebo effect" stresses me out.

Karl Uppiano

"Curious" wrote in message
m...
Ben Bradley wrote in message

. ..

[...]

If you're going "in the red" it means that you have run out of bits to
represent the audio. All that stress, depressing sound and creepy feelings
are the direct result of distortion, and there's no silver bullet that will
break, modify or bend the laws of physics for you. You've hit top end,
that's all there is, there isn't any more.

Doesn't your computer play loud enough? It's possible that something isn't
set up correctly, or isn't working correctly. Assuming everything is working
properly, and you want ear-shattering sound levels, the only way you can
make the music louder without overloading the system's design parameters is
to play it back with a bigger amplifier or more sensitive
speakers/headphones. Assuming your ears can take it, you can get practically
unlimited loudness by purchasing a powerful enough amplifier. That's what
they do at rock concerts. You can get thousands of watts of clean audio, but
you still have to stay within the system parameters. You can't go into the
red without distortion, no matter what.

Jerry Avins

Curious wrote:

[...]

Mu-law is used for digital telephony. It's about dynamic range, not
power level, and has nothing to do with what you want to accomplish. To
get more loudness out of a sound system, you have to put more power into
it: get a bigger amplifier and stop wasting everybody's time.

When I was 15, a thirteen-year-old asked me how to make gunpowder, and I
told him. I should have learned right then to stop answering questions
without knowing the whole context.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Ben Bradley

On 19 May 2004 20:15:45 -0700, (Curious)
wrote:

Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..

If you attentuate the signal going into the A/D (by, say, 10dB),
the signal level that causes clipping will be louder (by that same
10dB). This is the standard way of doing things. For a given system,
setting the level is always a compromise between headroom and noise.

But I am not doing A/D. I have a CD-ROM that can extract digital audio
from the CD itself rather than recording from the CD.

Oh, THAT explains it. You're playing a commercial audio CD recorded
or remastered within the last ten years or so. And the distortion is
coming from the CD.

BTW, CD's are recorded with linear PCM, and this has nothing to do
with mu-law encoding.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT. oops, sorry, didn't
mean to yell...

Furthermore, there is nothing you can do about the situation with
the CD's you have. The appropriate thing to do is complain to the
record label about the sound, but don't hold your breath waiting for
them to release a 'fixed' copy.

This all seems too simple - can you explain your application in
more detail? Why do you need to "increase the clipping point?"

I want loud music w/out the clipping. I don't like the "red" when I
play through my computer software. Clipping has the effect of making
me "feel sorry" for the system. It makes the music depressing. I also
get the creepy feeling that something in the computer is getting
physically damaged because of the clipping.

Okay, you don't have to worry about that last thing, even if you
already 'know' that you can't damage anything thay way. All that can
really be damaged is the music, and most unfortunately, it is ALREADY
damaged on the CD.

No signs of any damage but
the "placebo effect" stresses me out.

You're far from the only person to complain about clipping and
distorted sound recent CD's. Here's an infamous article about a recent
RUSH release. This is about a heavy metal record, but this
"hypercompression" to make each CD sound louder than the competition's
CD's covers almost all genres of popular music. This article tells the
story:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256C2E005DAF1C
-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Curious

wrote:

Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..

If you attentuate the signal going into the A/D (by, say, 10dB),
the signal level that causes clipping will be louder (by that same
10dB). This is the standard way of doing things. For a given system,
setting the level is always a compromise between headroom and noise.

But I am not doing A/D. I have a CD-ROM that can extract digital audio
from the CD itself rather than recording from the CD.

Oh, THAT explains it. You're playing a commercial audio CD recorded
or remastered within the last ten years or so. And the distortion is
coming from the CD.

Nothing wrong with the CD. The original sound is recorded loudly. The
song is "We Live". The singer is Bosson.

[...]

You mean the "song" is damaged. Cuz it was originally recorded at that
high volume.

Some songs are just recorded loudly. Time travel would be necessary to
correct that.

I don't really hear the clipping, however, I still get worried when
the "red" is hit.

Curious

Jerry Avins wrote in message ...

get more loudness out of a sound system, you have to put more power into
it.

Which amplifier has all four characteristics:

1. Max. power capacities

2. Highest upper-frequency response

3. All audio processing is purely digital [excluding the obvious ADC and DAC]

4. No lossy compression or data reduction

5. Digital audio input

????

Karl Uppiano

"Curious" wrote in message
om...
Jerry Avins wrote in message

get more loudness out of a sound system, you have to put more power into
it.

Which amplifier has all four characteristics:

1. Max. power capacities

2. Highest upper-frequency response

3. All audio processing is purely digital [excluding the obvious ADC and

DAC]

4. No lossy compression or data reduction

5. Digital audio input

????

Before I answer that, I would need to know what kind of listening you do:
Headphones? Speakers? Using a computer with something like Windows Media
Player or WinAmp? I-Pod? Hi-Fi sound system?

Some of your questions don't make sense, taken together:
1. Maximum power? Compared to what? Headphones only need a few milliwatts.
Speakers might need a hundred watts or more.
2. Upper frequency response? Your ears, and most source material don't go
any higher than 20,000 Hz.
4. Lossy compression or data reduction is a function of the storage or
transmission medium, not the amplifier.

Jerry Avins

Curious wrote:

Jerry Avins wrote in message ...

get more loudness out of a sound system, you have to put more power into
it.

Which amplifier has all four characteristics:

1. Max. power capacities

2. Highest upper-frequency response

3. All audio processing is purely digital [excluding the obvious ADC and DAC]

4. No lossy compression or data reduction

5. Digital audio input

????

We evidently mean different things by "amplifier". I meant a device that
accepts a weak low-power analog input in the audio range, and puts out a
higher power version of the same signal. It does no "processing", either
digital or analog. As to maximum power, I know of some available that
provide 25 kilowatts, but I've never heard of one of them driving a
loudspeaker. The purpose of the amplifier is to provide more power to
your loudspeakers than your present system can. You don't need digital
input, and there are too many standards for it to make sense anyway.
Drive it from the line-out jack on your sound card.

No DAC I'm aware of can provide enough power to drive a loudspeaker. You
need an analog amplifier between a DAC and the speaker. If you don't
have one now, that's your problem.

Each new question you ask reveals a wider gap in your knowledge than the
previous. There is such a state as not knowing enough for me to tell you
anything. I'm not yet convinced that that's the case, but we're getting
closer.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Ben Bradley

On 20 May 2004 19:39:31 -0700, (Curious)
wrote:

Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..
On 19 May 2004 20:15:45 -0700,
(Curious)
wrote:

But I am not doing A/D. I have a CD-ROM that can extract digital audio
from the CD itself rather than recording from the CD.

Oh, THAT explains it. You're playing a commercial audio CD recorded
or remastered within the last ten years or so. And the distortion is
coming from the CD.

Nothing wrong with the CD.

I'm sure the CD is giving you the same bits that the engineers and
producers put on it and intended to be there, so there's nothing wrong
with it in the most reductionistic techical sense. But in the sense of
the CD carrying a good, clean, clip-free recording, there's plenty
wrong with it.

The original sound is recorded loudly. The
song is "We Live". The singer is Bosson.

Have you loaded it into a .wav editor and seen what the waveform
looks like? Does it look like any of those in the article on the
recent Rush CD?

[...]

Yes, the music, the song, the recording is damaged.

Some songs are just recorded loudly. Time travel would be necessary to
correct that.

What would be neccesary is to change the attitude of the major
labels. Without that, they'd still make it clip. What happened here is
NOT an accident, it was intentional.

I don't really hear the clipping, however, I still get worried when
the "red" is hit.

You may not hear blatant clipping, but I'm sure it doesn't sound as
clean as it could have. Go to a used CD store and get a CD or two made
15 years ago (not a recent re-release of music over 15 years old, but
where the actual CD was made and sold back then), and compare it to
the CD's that are showing clipping. With an older CD, he clip light
will rarely if ever come on, and the sound will be cleaner.
The music industry 'standards' for making a CD have changed in the
past decade or so. A song that sounds 'louder' is, at first listen,
deemed more interesting and exciting, so it will sell more CD's than a
clean-but-not=as-loud song, so record labels are making songs sound
louder to increase sales. Yes, they're sacrificing sound quality to
make more money.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley