Dave Ryman

Default 1.5 kva transformer

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the transformer I think I need on the
internet, or instructions for building one from a kit.

First, I BELIEVE I need a 1.5 kva transformer (or in that ballpark).

Each amplifier circuit I'm building wants +30v, 0v and -30v (60v
transformer with centre tap). Each circuit is to be protected by a 5A
fuse. There are to be five such circuits running from one supply. I am
therefore assuming that I need a step-down transformer to provide 60v
from a 240v supply, and that this needs to be rated at 1.5kva. I may have
my sums wrong - please correct me if I do!

I could conceivably use 5 300va transformers, but these seem just as hard
to find.

What can I do? Any advice warmly appreciated.

--
Thanks,
Dave

http://welcome.to/daves.website
http://travel.to/formula.one
henryf

Dave Ryman wrote:
Each amplifier circuit I'm building wants +30v, 0v and -30v (60v
transformer with centre tap).

Your amplifiers want DC power, not AC, so directly connecting
them to transformers won't work.

Dave Ryman

henryf wrote in news:46tzb.2795$Qd6.2117
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Dave Ryman wrote:
Each amplifier circuit I'm building wants +30v, 0v and -30v (60v
transformer with centre tap).

Your amplifiers want DC power, not AC, so directly connecting
them to transformers won't work.

I was intended to include rectifiers and voltage regulators, too!

--
Regards,
Dave

http://welcome.to/daves.website
http://travel.to/formula.one

Dave Ryman

Dave Ryman wrote in
. 4:

Dave Ryman wrote:
Each amplifier circuit I'm building wants +30v, 0v and -30v (60v
transformer with centre tap).

Your amplifiers want DC power, not AC, so directly connecting
them to transformers won't work.

I was intended to include rectifiers and voltage regulators, too!

I've revised my figures after reading http://www.dckits.com/app1.htm

I'm going to used a max voltage of +23.5 and -23.5 vdc.

I am assuming that a 50w output will consume no more than 75w (1.5*50).

Therefore, each amplifier will be protected by 2A fuses (not 5A as
previously imagined).

Supplying a pd of 47v at 5x1.6A gives me a transformer requirement of
376VA in total: Still a tall order given the range of transformers
normally available. I am therefore considering five separate transformers
of 100va capacity each, these should be more easily available - hopefully
cheaper. I may even go for separate boxes for each amp, and work it round
a modular basis.

--
Regards,
Dave

http://welcome.to/daves.website
http://travel.to/formula.one

Stewart Pinkerton

On 3 Dec 2003 18:47:32 GMT, Dave Ryman
wrote:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the transformer I think I need on the
internet, or instructions for building one from a kit.

First, I BELIEVE I need a 1.5 kva transformer (or in that ballpark).

Each amplifier circuit I'm building wants +30v, 0v and -30v (60v
transformer with centre tap). Each circuit is to be protected by a 5A
fuse. There are to be five such circuits running from one supply. I am
therefore assuming that I need a step-down transformer to provide 60v
from a 240v supply, and that this needs to be rated at 1.5kva. I may have
my sums wrong - please correct me if I do!

I could conceivably use 5 300va transformers, but these seem just as hard
to find.

What can I do? Any advice warmly appreciated.

Building your system as five monobloc amps with independent 250-300VA
trannies will give excellent results - and lots of audiophile 'street
cred'!

henryf

Dave Ryman wrote:
Dave Ryman wrote in
. 4:

henryf wrote in news:46tzb.2795$Qd6.2117
:

Dave Ryman wrote:

[...]

Check this out:
http://www.toroid.com/standard_trans...amplifiers.htm

Dave Ryman

henryf wrote in
ink.net:

http://www.toroid.com/standard_trans...nsformers/soli
d_state_amplifiers.htm

Thanks v.much for the link - greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,
Dave

http://welcome.to/daves.website
http://travel.to/formula.one

malcolm

"Dave Ryman" wrote in message
.4...
[...]

are you building a stadium amplifier system?

gregs

In article 32yAb.451954$Fm2.447256@attbi_s04, "malcolm" wrote:

"Dave Ryman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[...]

I was interested in stadium power requirments. Maybe 25 to 75 KW.

greg

malcolm

"Dave Ryman" wrote in message
.4...
Dave Ryman wrote in
. 4:

Dave Ryman wrote:
[...]

plenty of toroidal transformers availible,
try
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...St=2352&St2=-5
4511875&St3=-80298645&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=123271&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/avelspecs.pdf

500VA twin primarys of 0-110 Vac and twin secondarys of 0-25 Vac

you will get 35-0-35 Vdc from the output if using full bridge
rectification,
and then have plenty of headroom to regulate down to 23.5 Vdc.
Parts Express in the USA are good and quick from what I have found,
and Maplin, Rapid, RS, Farnell in the UK.
regards malcolm

malcolm

"Dave Ryman" wrote in message
.4...
Dave Ryman wrote in
. 4:

Dave Ryman wrote:
[...]

malcolm

"Dave Ryman" wrote in message
.4...
Dave Ryman wrote in
. 4:

Dave Ryman wrote:
[...]

Dave Ryman

(snip)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...3842&St=2352&S
t2=-5 4511875&St3=-80298645&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=123271&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/avelspecs.pdf

500VA twin primarys of 0-110 Vac and twin secondarys of 0-25 Vac

you will get 35-0-35 Vdc from the output if using full bridge
rectification,
and then have plenty of headroom to regulate down to 23.5 Vdc.
Parts Express in the USA are good and quick from what I have found,
and Maplin, Rapid, RS, Farnell in the UK.
regards malcolm

Found a 25v transformer on RS - I'm switching my allegence from Maplin -
RS seem to have a better range available.