Default vocal Correction

Is there a device that will correct vocals to pitch during real time
singing?

thank in advance

Scott Dorsey

In article kkZnb.17394$5c2.7405@okepread03, wrote:
Is there a device that will correct vocals to pitch during real time
singing?

Grass Instruments makes a number of electric shock devices. Putting one
on the performer's genitalia and pressing the button when he or she
dramatically leaves standard pitch will have a very salutary effect on
maintaining correct notes.
Randall Hyde

wrote in message news:kkZnb.17394$5c2.7405@okepread03...
Is there a device that will correct vocals to pitch during real time
singing?

thank in advance

Antares builds a box that runs their Auto-tune software in real-time.
However, given the fussiness of the plug-in, I'm afraid to pay the
$500 the box cost to discover it screws the voice up more than it
corrects things. It would be cool if it worked. When making live
recordings pitch correction would be a nice thing to have.
OTOH, for non-recording stuff, if the singer is so far off pitch
that people notice, well.... I do agree that such a box would be
cool when you've got to videotape (or otherwise record) the
performance and you won't be able to re-record the vocals
after the fact (or you can put the vocals on a track by themselves
so you can run auto-tune on them later). I just don't think the
box is going to work well, based on my experience with the
plug-in.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Mike Faithfull

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article kkZnb.17394$5c2.7405@okepread03, wrote:
Is there a device that will correct vocals to pitch during real time
singing?

Grass Instruments makes a number of electric shock devices. Putting one
on the performer's genitalia and pressing the button when he or she
dramatically leaves standard pitch will have a very salutary effect on
maintaining correct notes.

IME far from encouraging maintenance of the correct notes it actually
stimulates production of some very strange ones ... As a slightly milder
alternatively you could try the Antares Autotune ...

Bryson

"Randall Hyde" wrote in message link.net...
I do agree that such a box would be
cool when you've got to videotape (or otherwise record) the
performance and you won't be able to re-record the vocals
after the fact (or you can put the vocals on a track by themselves
so you can run auto-tune on them later). I just don't think the
box is going to work well, based on my experience with the
plug-in.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

It probably would only work if the singer had in ear monitors so as
not to hear the corrected vocal.

anthony.gosnell

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article kkZnb.17394$5c2.7405@okepread03, wrote:
Is there a device that will correct vocals to pitch during real time
singing?

Grass Instruments makes a number of electric shock devices. Putting one
on the performer's genitalia and pressing the button when he or she
dramatically leaves standard pitch will have a very salutary effect on
maintaining correct notes.
--scott

There was an episode of Cheers where Cliffs therapist wired him up and gave
him a shock every time he was mean to someone. It was a very funny episode.
The same concept was used in SouthPark to make one of the kids stop
swearing.

Tom Sharpe also used electric shock behaviour modification in his book
Indecent Obsession. The results were never quite what was intended.

--
Anthony Gosnell

to reply remove nospam.

Scott Dorsey

Mike Faithfull wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article kkZnb.17394$5c2.7405@okepread03, wrote:
Is there a device that will correct vocals to pitch during real time
singing?

Grass Instruments makes a number of electric shock devices. Putting one
on the performer's genitalia and pressing the button when he or she
dramatically leaves standard pitch will have a very salutary effect on
maintaining correct notes.

IME far from encouraging maintenance of the correct notes it actually
stimulates production of some very strange ones ... As a slightly milder
alternatively you could try the Antares Autotune ...

I have heard folks try and use the Autotune live, and the results were not
pleasant ones. First off the monitor mix needs to be unprocessed, so the
singer can hear what is going on and because of the delay through the autotune
box. Secondly, the overall frequency quantization makes everything sound
very unpleasant and robotic if it's used on the whole signal. The effect is
much more annoying than the occasional out-of-tune note.

Autotune is a great tool when you can use it in moderation on a note here
and there, but in a live situation you don't have any advance notice for
when you're going to be needing it, so you have to use it on everthing. And
it sounds really repulsive used on everything, even lightly.

Mondoslug1

Scott wrote:

First off the monitor mix needs to be unprocessed, so the
singer can hear what is going on and because of the delay through the
autotune
box.

The singer doesn't get to hear it as in not monitoring it. It happens.

Chris Del Faro

How about a new device called "vocal instructor"? g

Seriously, many times putting the song in a comfortable key, meaning NO
straining on high notes, and NO pushing of low notes will do the trick
pretty well.
Adequate rehearsal is essential too, of course.

Do you have access to reasonably competent vocal coaching?

Chris

EggHd

The rack mount auto tune can work OK used on Chromatic and a very slow attack.
That said the singer needs to be pretty good still, with just a few minor sharp
or flat notes.

---------------------------------------
Lou Gimenez

sometimes where a singer starts sounding good is when they're pushing
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

Dave Martin

"Bryson" wrote in message
om...

It probably would only work if the singer had in ear monitors so as
not to hear the corrected vocal.

The acts I know of who use them use in-ears, and don't get the processed
voices in their monitors. That's only out front. But you almost have to have
every instrument on stage running direct as well, or the general bleed into
the vocal mics can make the Auto Tune misbehave even worse than it normally
does.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

EggHd

But you almost have to have
every instrument on stage running direct as well, or the general bleed into
the vocal mics can make the Auto Tune misbehave even worse than it normally
does.

I've used a taste of the rack mount mixing a live album and a TV special and
found it ok if used to touch up a couple of little sharps and flats. But more
than that it'll bounce around depending on the leakage.

---------------------------------------
Dave Martin

"EggHd" wrote in message
But you almost have to have
every instrument on stage running direct as well, or the general bleed

into
the vocal mics can make the Auto Tune misbehave even worse than it

normally
does.

I've used a taste of the rack mount mixing a live album and a TV special

and
found it ok if used to touch up a couple of little sharps and flats. But

more
than that it'll bounce around depending on the leakage.

Yep. The acts I know about that use them for the whole show are all direct
and all on ears. Interestingly, it can do funny things even to the cymbal
leakage if you listen close...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

2mb

sometimes where a singer starts sounding good is when they're pushing

Very true... but if they need some serious vocal coaching and haven't yet
learned how to use their diaphram to push with, they can sound horrible when
they start pushing. Same with newbie horn players.

Breathing and using the right muscles correctly are an essential part of
getting a great sound.