John Shepardson

Default Car radio -> Computer room

My car radio has always seemed to get excellent radio reception, so when
I decided to replace the stock head unit (2002 Mustang), I kept the
radio/cd player and later set it in my computer room in the house to add
as an audio input to my computer.

I figured out the wiring and got power, ground and acc wired up and two
channels out were plugged into my sound mixer.

I bought a radio antenna at the electronics store and and antenna
extension cord and listened to the sound quality.

It was lousy, just as bad as the cheap radio I already had in the room.
I experimented with antenna location, in the window, out of the window,
up on the roof of the house. It didn't change for the better.

So what gives, why does my radio get so much better reception when it is
mounted in the car?

The very confused, John

Kevin Murray

Computers use switched-mode power supplies which emit RF radiation. It's
possible that enough radiation is escaping the chassis to interfere with radio
reception.

Kevin

"Matt Bhame" wrote in message
And what RF would that be?

[...]

thelizman

You'll need to use an earth ground for your antenna. Any metal piping in
the house will give you sufficient ground, or just ram a 6 foot stake
into the ground and connect that to the decks chassis.

I'm assuming this is reception, and not just lots of whine and buzzing.
If you're getting that, then it is most likely a ground loop caused by
potential difference between whatever power source you're using, and
your computers power supply. Youll need an audio isolation transformer,
which can be found at most rat shacks (used for phones).

I forgot what its like to answer AUDIO questions since the crossover of
the Bush haters.

And what RF would that be?

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

John Shepardson

In article ,
thelizman wrote:

You'll need to use an earth ground for your antenna. Any metal piping in
the house will give you sufficient ground, or just ram a 6 foot stake
into the ground and connect that to the decks chassis.

How do you ground an antenna?

I have the radio grounded to the -terminal on a 12 volt battery, but
there is no ground wire on the antenna.

Thanks everyone for the input.

John