Posted to rec.audio.pro
XsssX XsssX is offline

Default Blu-ray versus DVD audio

I have DVD's which were in 5.1 (6 channels), but Dolby Digital and lossy. Is
it true that the Blu-ray, now in 7.1 DTS (and offering 8 channels), is
lossless on all channels?

One other thing, although I have a DVD player with 6 channel output, I also
used to use a program called "DVD audio extractor" to separate each channel
into a separate .wav file. Is there anything that will do this for Blu-ray?
My current Blu-ray player does not offer the 8 channel output.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I have DVD's which were in 5.1 (6 channels), but Dolby Digital
and lossy. Is it true that the Blu-ray, now in 7.1 DTS (and offering
8 channels), is lossless on all channels?

DTS is not lossless. But the DTS Master system used on Blu-rays is. Ditto
for the Dolby version of same.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
XsssX XsssX is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I have DVD's which were in 5.1 (6 channels), but Dolby Digital
and lossy. Is it true that the Blu-ray, now in 7.1 DTS (and offering
8 channels), is lossless on all channels?

DTS is not lossless. But the DTS Master system used on Blu-rays is. Ditto
for the Dolby version of same.

So, if the back of my Blu-ray disc says the following:
DTS-HD Master Audio English 4468 kbps 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4468 kbps / 24-bit

it is lossless and on all channels also?

Sorry for the confusion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

So, if the back of my Blu-ray disc says...
DTS-HD Master Audio English 4468 kbps 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4468 kbps / 24-bit
it is lossless and on all channels also?

Yes, if you're playing the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. Most BDs default to
the highest-resolution audio, but not all do. The Valencia "Ring" defaults
to two-channel linear digital. You have to manually select the 7.1 tracks.

You can tell which tracks are playing by pressing the Audio button on the BD
player. Repeated presses select different audio tracks (if available). (The
commentary tracks are usually limited to two-channel sound, often lossy.)
Most disks let you switch without stopping or pausing playback. The Setup
screen should also allow selection.

Sorry for the confusion.

Why should you apologize?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"XsssX" wrote in message

I have DVD's which were in 5.1 (6 channels), but Dolby
Digital and lossy.

That is very common, but they could also be DTS or PCM.

Is it true that the Blu-ray, now in
7.1 DTS (and offering 8 channels), is lossless on all
channels?

Like DVD Blu Ray is producer's choice, but there are more choices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

"For audio, BD-ROM players are required to support Dolby Digital (AC-3),
DTS, and linear PCM. Players may optionally support Dolby Digital Plus and
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well as lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and
DTS-HD Master Audio.[95] BD-ROM titles must use one of the mandatory schemes
for the primary soundtrack. A secondary audiotrack, if present, may use any
of the mandatory or optional codecs."

One other thing, although I have a DVD player with 6
channel output, I also used to use a program called "DVD
audio extractor" to separate each channel into a separate
.wav file. Is there anything that will do this for
Blu-ray? My current Blu-ray player does not offer the 8
channel output.

Your first trick is breaking the content management scheme that is used on
Blu Ray discs...

It can be done.