G Ford

Default MP3 to CD-R problem

Hello. I'm having a problem when burning certain MP3s to a CD-R. Certain
tracks have an annoying squeaking sound every few seconds or so (it almost
sounds like the song is warped or something). The thing is, it is only
apparent after they have burned to the CD-R. When listening to them on MP3,
they sound fine.

I can't figure out what is causing this and I have wasted countless CD-R's
because of this. Usually I download the song again and re-burn and
everything is OK. However, some tracks seem to have this problem no matter
how many times I download them.

Does anybody know what the problem is? Is there a way to actually figure
out which track may experience this problem BEFORE burning it to CD (thus
not having to waste them)?

Any help is much appreciated.

Norm

Are you burning an "audio" CD or a "data" CD? If you are making audio CDs
and using low bitrate mp3 files you may experience what you describe. The
bit rate should ideally be 192 or higher for most music or the quality will
suffer.

Norm

"G Ford" wrote in message
Hello. I'm having a problem when burning certain MP3s to a CD-R. Certain
tracks have an annoying squeaking sound every few seconds or so (it almost
sounds like the song is warped or something). The thing is, it is only
apparent after they have burned to the CD-R. When listening to them on

MP3,
they sound fine.

I can't figure out what is causing this and I have wasted countless CD-R's
because of this. Usually I download the song again and re-burn and
everything is OK. However, some tracks seem to have this problem no

matter
how many times I download them.

Does anybody know what the problem is? Is there a way to actually figure
out which track may experience this problem BEFORE burning it to CD (thus
not having to waste them)?

Any help is much appreciated.

fred-bloggs

"G Ford" wrote in :

Hello. I'm having a problem when burning certain MP3s to a CD-R.
Certain tracks have an annoying squeaking sound every few seconds or
so (it almost sounds like the song is warped or something). The thing
is, it is only apparent after they have burned to the CD-R. When
listening to them on MP3, they sound fine.

I can't figure out what is causing this and I have wasted countless
CD-R's because of this. Usually I download the song again and re-burn
and everything is OK. However, some tracks seem to have this problem
no matter how many times I download them.

Does anybody know what the problem is? Is there a way to actually
figure out which track may experience this problem BEFORE burning it
to CD (thus not having to waste them)?

There are 4 possibilities:
1) bad rip
2) damaged mp3
3) bad decode mp3-wav
4) bad burn

1) download another version (different length/bit rate)
2) to check for sync errors use Encspot, mp3utility or mp3trim.
3) use WinAmp v2 with diskwriter output plugin or dbPowerAmp Music
Converter. Check the wavs by listening and/or viewing in an audio editor
(Goldwave).
4) try different brand CDRs and burning at slower speed. While testing,
you should be able to burn audio to a CDRW, it should play in your
computer's cd drive.

http://www.mpex.net/en/software/download/encspot.html
http://www.geocities.com/mp3utility/
http://www.logiccell.com/~mp3trim/
http://classic.winamp.com/
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
http://www.goldwave.com/

--
fred
CQ

In a previous post, G Ford said...

The thing is, it is only
apparent after they have burned to the CD-R. When listening to them on MP3,
they sound fine.

If this is the case it is more than likely happening during the burning
process. Downloading new ones is not the answer, even though sometimes
you get a good burn with the new ones, they most likely weren't the
solution.

I can't figure out what is causing this and I have wasted countless CD-R's
because of this.

It's possible your burner is using some sort of imperfect
implementation of "burn proof" technology that is being called into use
often and is putting a little break in the file which you might hear as a
squeak.

Try not stressing the computer enough to make the burner have to use the
buffer under run protection and see if that doesn't eliminate the
problem. You may have to disable the protection and just burn a bit
slower to avoid it happening.
--
CQ
anjy

CQ wrote in message . ..
[...]

When you burn some mp3s to CD,there are 2 steps to finish that
work.The first is decode mp3 to wav files, the second is burn the wav
files to CD. So the problem is that you must have a good mp3 decoder
first.If the burn program can not decode mp3 files to wav files with
good sound, and you will not get a good Audio CD.You can try the
following mp3 decoder:
MB AudioConverter ( http://www.simtel.net/product.php?id=68707 )
BPS Audio Converter

brian

I think you should try converting to the mp3's to a wave file and then
burning the cd, with the same software and other software to eliminate your
software as the problem. If it still has problems, then it would seem you
have a hardware issue.

FYI there are many freeware utilities that will convert mp3 to wave just hop
on a search endinge and pick one.

good luck.

"anjy" wrote in message
om...
"G Ford" wrote in message

[...]

CQ

In a previous post, Romeo Rondeau said...

Actually, his advice is good. If you make a .wav file, then you can listen
to it and see if you have a good decode.

He didn't give advice. He claimed burning a CD had two steps. Making a
wave and finishing the CD. Is that how you would break it down? Not if
you know what you are talking about, no.

Actually the good "decoder" is usually a function of the operating system
and the codecs installed, although in some cases, such as Winamp, this isn't
necessarily true.

He's the one saying you need a good decoder program. And then he is
linking you to one you can conveniently purchase. You are in such a
hurry to correct me for some reason that you are replying to the wrong
place. He's claiming the decoder he is linking to is the "good" one.

As for the other, you are wrong or oversimplifying. Many burning
programs have their own internal decoders, not just Winamp. You saying
all these tests are of the same operating system function?

http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org/overall.html

Whoa trigger! Just because he's recommending a piece of software doesn't
mean he's trying to sell it to the guy... somebody hasn't had their Wheaties
today! :-)

Right. I took the time to look up his posting history, did you? Two
posts. Plugging the same program. Identical posts. Cut and pasted
blurbs for the program he is plugging. If you like to read ads or wade
through spam in newsgroups then good for you. I don't. If I see someone
using the newsgroups I frequent to spam or advertise and I'm not busy at
the time, I will call them on it.

In the meantime you can eat all the Wheaties you want and crap out fully
formed fiber filled spam-cakes for all I care. Me, I think I'll go have
a steak.

--
CQ
Now Playing: "Pigmeat" - Ry Cooder