Default thinking of buying KRK V8 II ... need advice

i am thinking of buying V8 and saw some bad report on V8. now i am
wondering if i should. can anyone help?

i am currently using ultrasone PRO2500 headphones. just to give you an
idea of the quality of sound i am currently used to. don't know if
Pro2500 are good or bad.

so V8 will be better or worse? is there anything that i should look at
before buying?

- mike

Scott Dorsey

i am thinking of buying V8 and saw some bad report on V8. now i am
wondering if i should. can anyone help?

Do you like how they sound?

i am currently using ultrasone PRO2500 headphones. just to give you an
idea of the quality of sound i am currently used to. don't know if
Pro2500 are good or bad.

so V8 will be better or worse? is there anything that i should look at
before buying?

Monitoring on ANY speakers, no matter how bad they are, will be an
improvement on trying to mix on headphones.

Personally I don't like the low end on the V8, but you might. How do
they sound?

Your Ad Here!

I like them and don't mind the low end at all. In fact, I have the
filter in the back on the most bass-light setting since I was used to
my NS10s prior to getting the V8s. Eventually I might change the curve
but I'm finding that this setting does translate pretty well for me.

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
i am thinking of buying V8 and saw some bad report on V8. now i am
wondering if i should. can anyone help?

Do you like how they sound?

i am currently using ultrasone PRO2500 headphones. just to give you an
idea of the quality of sound i am currently used to. don't know if
Pro2500 are good or bad.

so V8 will be better or worse? is there anything that i should look at
before buying?

Monitoring on ANY speakers, no matter how bad they are, will be an
improvement on trying to mix on headphones.

Personally I don't like the low end on the V8, but you might. How do
they sound?

Scott Dorsey

Your Ad Here! wrote:
I like them and don't mind the low end at all. In fact, I have the
filter in the back on the most bass-light setting since I was used to
my NS10s prior to getting the V8s. Eventually I might change the curve
but I'm finding that this setting does translate pretty well for me.

That's sort of what I don't like... I found the low end kind of bloated
and out of control. I suppose you could compensate for it by changing
the room, though. But you shouldn't have to set it to tailor the low end
down.

Your Ad Here!

The three toggle positions for bass roll-off are -3db at 45Hz, 50Hz or
65Hz. I'm attenuating at 65Hz. I aways thought that the bass roll-off
settings existed to tailor the sound for the acoustics of a room. Works
pretty well for me but I agree with you to some extent - even with the
3db dip at 65Hz I have to mix with the bass frequencies reatively low
as they'll usually sound hotter on most stereos, even at this setting.
Just a matter of getting used to. Thinking more about it, I don't see
much reason to move the roll-off to the lower frequencies as that
would make the more audible 65hz range louder.

they are in the category of personal preference. some people like them
some people hate them. i've seen people turn out great mixes off of
krk stuff. the opinion i got through repeated listening tests was kind
of like "these things are nowhere near linear or audiophile, but for
some reason i get the feeling i would turn out good mixes off of them".
i would personally use them for production and mixing, but i would
never open up a mastering facility and use those as my main speakers.