Nick H (UK)

Default sound card recommendation

Joseph Oberlander wrote:
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock circuitry,
and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Looks spiffy. I like the use of the serial port connector to
a multi-jack dongle. Nice feature, IMO.

Q: how does it do on playback or is it purely for recording?

My experience with RME (the Digi96/PST) is that playback through my hifi
is *better* than my Cirus CD player! :-)). As I bought it looking for
better playback quality (I ahd all the i/o I needed previously) I was
well pleased.

Nick H

Joseph Oberlander

Nick H (UK) wrote:
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock circuitry,
and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Looks spiffy. I like the use of the serial port connector to
a multi-jack dongle. Nice feature, IMO.

Q: how does it do on playback or is it purely for recording?

My experience with RME (the Digi96/PST) is that playback through my hifi
is *better* than my Cirus CD player! :-)). As I bought it looking for
better playback quality (I ahd all the i/o I needed previously) I was
well pleased.

How much does it cost? I'm in the market for a good sound card
and want to also play games and such with it as well as do surround
sound. Partially to take the 20% load off of my CPU - too high
for serious gaming - but also to act like a nice 4-track mixer
and/or midi port - so I can run decent sequencer package.

I can't stand Creative's kludgy drivers or second-rate processors
and sound libraries/sample sets. Ensoniq's and Turtle Beach's always
sounded better anyways - and they weren't high-end cards.

Creative is like Microsoft - acceptable programs. Bland, soul-less,
hopelessly adequate implimentations of other technologies. I want
a better alternative that isn't a fortune.

Kurt Albershardt

Arny Krueger wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock circuitry,
and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Looks spiffy. I like the use of the serial port connector to
a multi-jack dongle. Nice feature, IMO.

Old news. I first saw this *feature* on the original LynxONE, and that was
about 3-4 years ago. The LynxTWO does the same, and its working on year two.
It really makes a lot of sense in a studio environment. Why have a gloppy
old breakout box which demands even more jumper cables when you can hang the
jumper cables on the sound card with a DB connector?

Because you want to rackmount the breakout box? Because the card has
more I/O ports than can practically fit on its back? Because you want
to locate the computer in a separate machine room?

Arny Krueger

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock
circuitry, and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Looks spiffy. I like the use of the serial port connector to
a multi-jack dongle. Nice feature, IMO.

Old news. I first saw this *feature* on the original LynxONE, and
that was about 3-4 years ago. The LynxTWO does the same, and its
working on year two. It really makes a lot of sense in a studio
environment. Why have a gloppy old breakout box which demands even
more jumper cables when you can hang the jumper cables on the sound
card with a DB connector?

Because you want to rackmount the breakout box?

OK, but that's kind of like specifying the right answer, isn't it?

;-)

Because the card has more I/O ports than can practically fit on its back?

The DB connector + attached wires and connectors addresses that well.

Because you want
to locate the computer in a separate machine room?

The DB connector + attached wires and connectors addresses that well.

Nick H (UK)

Joseph Oberlander wrote:
Nick H (UK) wrote:

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

[...]

Check RME's site carefully; I don't think it does midi, but could be
wrong. My digi96 certainly does not. You can see the specs on the
site, of course, but they also have the manuals up for rerading. I
always think the product manual is a much better way of finding out what
it does that sales spiel;-)

Nick H

Kurt Albershardt

Nick H (UK) wrote:
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock
circuitry, and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Check RME's site carefully; I don't think it does midi, but could be
wrong. My digi96 certainly does not. You can see the specs on the
site, of course, but they also have the manuals up for rerading. I
always think the product manual is a much better way of finding out what
it does that sales spiel;-)

"1 MIDI I/O with 16 channels of hi-speed MIDI via breakout cable"

Nick H (UK)

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
Nick H (UK) wrote:

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock
circuitry, and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Check RME's site carefully; I don't think it does midi, but could be
wrong. My digi96 certainly does not. You can see the specs on the
site, of course, but they also have the manuals up for rerading. I
always think the product manual is a much better way of finding out
what it does that sales spiel;-)

"1 MIDI I/O with 16 channels of hi-speed MIDI via breakout cable"

Woops, sorry, wrong again. That's been happening *all* day ! ;-)
Nick H

Kurt Albershardt

Joseph Oberlander wrote:
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Nick H (UK) wrote:

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Or perhaps the new HDSP9632 (192k converters, better clock
circuitry, and nearly the same price.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Check RME's site carefully; I don't think it does midi, but could be
wrong. My digi96 certainly does not. You can see the specs on the
site, of course, but they also have the manuals up for rerading. I
always think the product manual is a much better way of finding out
what it does that sales spiel;-)

"1 MIDI I/O with 16 channels of hi-speed MIDI via breakout cable"

Neat - so how does it do in games and such(Direct-X)

It doesn't since it's a pro soundcard. ASIO and MME drivers only at
this point.

what does it cost?(probably way more than my budget - lol)

See my reply earlier.

Joseph Oberlander

Bubba wrote:
Check out M-audio revolution 7.1.
http://www.m-audio.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php
This company mostly makes cards for audiofphiles.
This is their consumer version. It is the best for music.
Has had great reviews.
Not so good for games. Can output digital audio.

Grr. Now you know why it's so frustrating. I want a better
option for games and recording that the Audgigy II, but it's
confusing to say the least.

Les Cargill

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Bubba wrote:
Check out M-audio revolution 7.1.
http://www.m-audio.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php
This company mostly makes cards for audiofphiles.
This is their consumer version. It is the best for music.
Has had great reviews.
Not so good for games. Can output digital audio.

Grr. Now you know why it's so frustrating. I want a better
option for games and recording that the Audgigy II, but it's
confusing to say the least.

FWIW, I have a Soundblaster and a hgher end card in the same machine.
Works good.

What I have noticed is that some games have
*ugly* "dll hell" issues with DAW software, and therefore,
only old DOS games on the DAW machine.

--
Les Cargill

Arny Krueger

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message

Bubba wrote:
Check out M-audio revolution 7.1.
http://www.m-audio.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php
This company mostly makes cards for audiofphiles.
This is their consumer version. It is the best for music.
Has had great reviews.
Not so good for games. Can output digital audio.

Grr. Now you know why it's so frustrating. I want a better
option for games and recording that the Audgigy II, but it's
confusing to say the least.

You've never heard that saying about having your cake and eating it, too?

Joseph Oberlander

Bubba wrote:

Check out M-audio revolution 7.1.
http://www.m-audio.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php
This company mostly makes cards for audiofphiles.
This is their consumer version. It is the best for music.
Has had great reviews.
Not so good for games. Can output digital audio.

Grr. Now you know why it's so frustrating. I want a better
option for games and recording that the Audgigy II, but it's
confusing to say the least.

You've never heard that saying about having your cake and eating it, too?

Hey! It's the new millenium. I'll take the German Chocolate
with sprinkles and a scoop of ice cream right now!

Give me a good 24/96 option for gaming and general use other
than the Audigy II.

Joseph Oberlander

Girth wrote:
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Check out M-audio revolution 7.1.
http://www.m-audio.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php
This company mostly makes cards for audiofphiles.
This is their consumer version. It is the best for music.
Has had great reviews.
Not so good for games. Can output digital audio.

Grr. Now you know why it's so frustrating. I want a better
option for games and recording that the Audgigy II, but it's
confusing to say the least.

No it's simple.

Buy a professional grade card.
Buy a compatible game card.

Put them in the same machine, just like I told you yesterday!

That can be done I guess. What is the option for game cards
other than the Audigy II? I hate Creative - always mess things
up and are impossibly hard to configure.

Arny Krueger

Bubba wrote:

Check out M-audio revolution 7.1.
http://www.m-audio.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php
This company mostly makes cards for audiofphiles.
This is their consumer version. It is the best for music.
Has had great reviews.
Not so good for games. Can output digital audio.

Grr. Now you know why it's so frustrating. I want a better
option for games and recording that the Audgigy II, but it's
confusing to say the least.

You've never heard that saying about having your cake and eating it,
too?

Hey! It's the new millenium. I'll take the German Chocolate
with sprinkles and a scoop of ice cream right now!

Give me a good 24/96 option for gaming and general use other
than the Audigy II.

"other than the Audigy II"?????

I suspect most people who have a foot in each world run an Audigy for games
and a pro card for serious quality audio. They generally cohabit well.