Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Intelligence and RIAA

Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On May 13, 5:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

It's waning crescent, so McCoy will be howling at its loudest. Nothing
of substance but lots of self-aggrandizing, self-serving lies.

Time to get its meds ajdusted... once again.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Peter Wieck a scris:
On May 13, 5:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

It's waning crescent, so McCoy will be howling at its loudest. Nothing
of substance but lots of self-aggrandizing, self-serving lies.

Time to get its meds ajdusted... once again.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

I thought you kill filed him.
uyou keep telling everyone else to do that.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On May 13, 6:58 pm, Clyde Slick wrote:
Peter Wieck a scris:

On May 13, 5:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

It's waning crescent, so McCoy will be howling at its loudest. Nothing
of substance but lots of self-aggrandizing, self-serving lies.

Time to get its meds ajdusted... once again.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

I thought you kill filed him.
uyou keep telling everyone else to do that.- Hide quoted text -

McCoy bears watching.... much as Kudzu, deer ticks or toadstools.
Unlike the Morein coterie, it pretends to have something to say.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

Andre Jute wrote:

Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

I doubt you really know what you are missing out upon.

But all the really keen musically eclectic ppl i know who have vast cd
collections
indicating a misspent middle age also still enjoy vinyl.
Most find that despite the vast sums they have spent on
cd players and transports, da converters, isolation platforms and
other widgets and gadgets, the humble black disk continues to delight,
and
give a greater sense of connection to the artist than any CD manages to
do.

I have been present at a number of AB comparisons where a CD version
and vinyl version of the same material from the same grand old master
tape
was being played, and we could switch from one to the other,
and vinyl seemed to have more to offer the audiophile subjectively.

Mind you, the whole analog recording process onto tape et all is a huge
bodge to.

So is FM stereo mulptiplexing.

Never mind the bodges, the sound does not seem to suffer, when they do
it right, IMHO.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

Patrick Turner wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

I used to have c8000 vinyl discs, including some old shellac. I sold
the important subcollections and gave the rest away. Vinyl is just too
time-consuming. So much music to listen to, so little time. CDs are a
boon.

I think there is a certain masochism afield among audiophiles. Like
Morgan owners, or MG owners, they think that hardship on one's
pleasures is a symptom of manliness. I don't. I always preferred
Porsche. cars that worked and offered a modicum of comfort, and big-
engined fast tourers rather than harsh, loud sports cars. Same in my
sound systems. I define what I want the sound to be and to do, and
then put it together like that. That is why I think horns and panels
are important, and ultra-simple amplifiers -- and CDs, so that
chaniging the music is quick and easy.

There is nothing wrong with CD sound quality; it is better than good
enough. I decided to go over solely to CD on the day Nimbus, who
transfer ancient discs to CD, sent me a box of CDs including one of
Ponselle that was better than anything you could buy on any other
medium, no matter how much money you spent.

Andre Jute
Our legislators managed to criminalize fox-hunting and smoking; when
they will get off their collective fat backside and criminalize
negative feedback? It is clearly consumed only by the enemies of
fidelity.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ps.com...

Crazy old ****er's not wrong there....

I think there is a certain masochism afield among audiophiles. Like
Morgan owners, or MG owners, they think that hardship on one's
pleasures is a symptom of manliness. I don't. I always preferred
Porsche. cars that worked and offered a modicum of comfort, and big-
engined fast tourers rather than harsh, loud sports cars. Same in my
sound systems.

You do? I saw some rather good pix you posted recently and a couple of
your bike with a *heartrate monitor* (?) did I not?

Here's a picture of my current bike:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/mybi...%20GSX1400.jpg

It allows me to do 0 to *very naughty* whenever I can or want without
even breaking a sweat!! ;-)

I define what I want the sound to be and to do, and
then put it together like that. That is why I think horns and panels
are important, and ultra-simple amplifiers

OK, we are back on the same track again.....

All is good, all is calm....

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

On May 13, 6:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

What the hell is "bodge"????

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Gerry wrote:
On May 13, 6:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

What the hell is "bodge"????

A very expressive English word meaning a crude fix, a makeshift arrangement.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

Gerry wrote:

On May 13, 6:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

What the hell is "bodge"????

Andre will have his answer, but when he or someone else uses the term
they mean you have to make the signal from the microphone through to the
speaker via vinyl go through a roller coaster ride of "enfrightenment".

Why can't they just record the mic signal after amplifying with a linear
amp,
cutting record with a linear amplitude amp, and having playback
with a flat amp?

There are piles of reasons, and its difficult to get a band to behave
for
25minutes max and play perfectly so a direct to disc can be cut.
This would remove the bodge that is involved with all analog tape
recording.
Lots of AC bias at 38kHz, and lots of eq...bah, that's bodging the
signal.

In fact, analog is one big bodge after another.
NFB is a bodge where one trys to correct amplifier errors by
comparing the input and output signals and amplifying the difference to
cancel the errors
while you amplify the wanted signal. In my book,
just because such skulduggery looks cunningly evil, it does seem
only regretable, rather than being criminal, and afaiac, NFB bodging
does work
when done properly.

But at the end of the day, all the frequencies present at recording need
only
be at quite close to the same relationship at the speaker on replay and
we have hi-fi,
and the bodges make all that more effortlessly possible, as well as
reducing noise.
THD and IMD are introduced, but can be kept to tolerable levels
so low you don't realize they are present.

CD gave us convenience. I don't find all of them to be sonically
virtuous.

I have only to think about the gross eq and bodging done by guys in the
post recording processing
and I shudder....

I do know guys who would never use vinyl, but have someone record off
old records to make
a decent digital file, then they play it back using a reasonable
transport,
then use a DA converter costing a bomb made in limited numbers and with
much better sound than the DA in most generic CD players. They say they
get better sound this way
compared to fussing around with a real TT and phono amp, and keeping
records clean.
My tip would be to try something from
http://www.lavryengineering.com/index_flash.html

Not all digital sounds the same.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
Gerry wrote:
On May 13, 6:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none
of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness
that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

What the hell is "bodge"????

A very expressive English word meaning a crude fix, a makeshift
arrangement.

No, that's Wrongipedia for 'botch' - bodge means making chair legs or
summat. See:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-bod1.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Gerry said:

RIAA is a bodge to correct another bodge.

What the hell is "bodge"????

It's obviously some bit of Brit slang. I've never heard it before but
the meaning is plain.

My suggestion is to find a 12-year-old child who earns a B average in
school and ask the child to clue you in.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:04:28 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

No, that's Wrongipedia for 'botch' - bodge means making chair legs or
summat. See:

In the usage I know, "botch" is pejorative, it implies making a mess
of the job. "Bodge" is more neutral. "It's a bodge, but it's held up
very well." cf "Jury-rigged".

The woodworking derivation is interesting, but doesn't prove much :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

wrote:

No, that's Wrongipedia for 'botch' - bodge means making chair legs or
summat. See:

In the usage I know, "botch" is pejorative, it implies making a mess
of the job. "Bodge" is more neutral. "It's a bodge, but it's held up
very well." cf "Jury-rigged".

The woodworking derivation is interesting, but doesn't prove much :-)

Eau cointreau, a Bodger is/was 'real person' (ie existed once) - see:

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

I'm surprised Pat *Turner* doesn't appear to know that.

Likewise, a 'sagger maker' is/was a real person (I have seen saggers
myself) - as was a 'sagger maker's bottom knocker'....

HTH

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

news

wrote:

No, that's Wrongipedia for 'botch' - bodge means making chair legs or
summat. See:

In the usage I know, "botch" is pejorative, it implies making a mess
of the job. "Bodge" is more neutral. "It's a bodge, but it's held
up
very well." cf "Jury-rigged".

The woodworking derivation is interesting, but doesn't prove much :-)

Eau cointreau, a Bodger is/was 'real person' (ie existed once) - see:

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

Here's another for the crossposted Yanks (mentions Kentucky):

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ages/1247.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

What media doesn't require some bit of tinkering?

Digital media.

FM transmission has pre-emphasis;

Ignoring the complexities of stereo, which are significant.

tape has NAB equalization.

And bias.

Even your beloved CDs have a layer for Reed-Solomon error correction,

Irrelevant because it has nothing but positive effects on signal quality.

sampling rates,

Which have been rasied to insane levels of ovekill

and D/A conversion.

Which is one of the most perfected processed in audio.

Better stick to bike rides and pasta.

Better stick to something that you understand, Jon. That leaves audio out of
your diet.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

If you can't hear the damage that vinyl and analog tape do, then maybe you
can even personally defend the use of tubes.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:55 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

news

wrote:

No, that's Wrongipedia for 'botch' - bodge means making chair legs or
summat. See:

In the usage I know, "botch" is pejorative, it implies making a mess
of the job. "Bodge" is more neutral. "It's a bodge, but it's held
up
very well." cf "Jury-rigged".

The woodworking derivation is interesting, but doesn't prove much :-)

Eau cointreau, a Bodger is/was 'real person' (ie existed once) - see:

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

Here's another for the crossposted Yanks (mentions Kentucky):

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ages/1247.html

That's all very interesting for the etymology of the word, but the
meaning in context here is to do a job by some other means than the
official one - without any sort of judgement as to how good the result
is. Botch is another thing entirely. You could be doing the job
exactly as recommended, but if you do it poorly, you have botched it.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:55 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

news

wrote:

No, that's Wrongipedia for 'botch' - bodge means making chair legs
or
summat. See:

In the usage I know, "botch" is pejorative, it implies making a
mess
of the job. "Bodge" is more neutral. "It's a bodge, but it's held
up
very well." cf "Jury-rigged".

The woodworking derivation is interesting, but doesn't prove much
:-)

Eau cointreau, a Bodger is/was 'real person' (ie existed once) -
see:

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

Here's another for the crossposted Yanks (mentions Kentucky):

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ages/1247.html

That's all very interesting for the etymology of the word, but the
meaning in context here is to do a job by some other means than the
official one - without any sort of judgement as to how good the result
is. Botch is another thing entirely. You could be doing the job
exactly as recommended, but if you do it poorly, you have botched it.

No, what you are describing is contemporary *misuse* of the word which
once had real meaning - like, say, to 'flog' something when you mean
sell it. Once the modern idiom is admitted all bets are off - see:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:42:26 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:55 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

No, it isn't misuse - that is the new meaning; the word has mutated.

I heard a homosexual chap on the radio the other day moaning that
today's kids had hijacked the word "gay" to mean rubbish (it was after
Chris Moyles had used it that way on the radio). I had to laugh.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

wrote:

No, what you are describing is contemporary *misuse* of the word which
once had real meaning - like, say, to 'flog' something when you mean
sell it. Once the modern idiom is admitted all bets are off - see:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

No, it isn't misuse - that is the new meaning; the word has mutated.

I heard a homosexual chap on the radio the other day moaning that
today's kids had hijacked the word "gay" to mean rubbish (it was after
Chris Moyles had used it that way on the radio). I had to laugh.

The trouble with 'mutation' is that the whole point of a *language* is
lost - it starts to fail as a means of communcation. Savvy?

(Although, various words like 'homosexual chap' and 'gay' are not too
bad because we all know they mean *poof*....)

No, if you want a chuckle - I have crapped copious amounts of blood this
morning trying to get my Nuvistor laptop to record from a pair of mics.
So far, I have finally managed to get a *stereo* recording (not easy)
but have also managed to swap the previous machine's intermittent
'heartbeat' for a consistent/continual loud (in the Plowie sense)
*buzz*...!!

And no, I can't post a sample because my FTP programme's grace period
expired today! (Fekkin' telling me summat it is....)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

[...]

Did you say Nuvistor? You know what that REALLY means, don't you?

http://www.thevalvepage.com/valvetek...r/nuvistor.htm

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Nick Gorham Nick Gorham is offline

Keith G wrote:

No, if you want a chuckle - I have crapped copious amounts of blood this
morning trying to get my Nuvistor laptop to record from a pair of mics.
So far, I have finally managed to get a *stereo* recording (not easy)
but have also managed to swap the previous machine's intermittent
'heartbeat' for a consistent/continual loud (in the Plowie sense)
*buzz*...!!

And no, I can't post a sample because my FTP programme's grace period
expired today! (Fekkin' telling me summat it is....)

Go to the command prompt and type

ftp myserver.pipex.net

Should do the job.

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

wrote:

[...]

If this was ukrm (uk.rec.munchkin) someone would have responded:

**whooosh**

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Nick Gorham" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

No, if you want a chuckle - I have crapped copious amounts of blood
this morning trying to get my Nuvistor laptop to record from a pair
of mics. So far, I have finally managed to get a *stereo* recording
(not easy) but have also managed to swap the previous machine's
intermittent 'heartbeat' for a consistent/continual loud (in the
Plowie sense) *buzz*...!!

And no, I can't post a sample because my FTP programme's grace period
expired today! (Fekkin' telling me summat it is....)

Go to the command prompt and type

ftp myserver.pipex.net

Should do the job.

No, all I got was 'unknown host'...??

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Keith G wrote:

No, if you want a chuckle - I have crapped copious amounts of blood
this morning trying to get my Nuvistor laptop to record from a pair
of mics. So far, I have finally managed to get a *stereo* recording
(not easy) but have also managed to swap the previous machine's
intermittent 'heartbeat' for a consistent/continual loud (in the
Plowie sense) *buzz*...!!

And no, I can't post a sample because my FTP programme's grace period
expired today! (Fekkin' telling me summat it is....)

Go to the command prompt and type

ftp myserver.pipex.net

Should do the job.

No, all I got was 'unknown host'...??

There's tons of free ftp progs out there. Here's one.
http://www.coreftp.com/screens/index.html

And I think you were supposed to insert your own details in place of
"myserver" (makes yer eyes water).

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On 13 May 2007 19:17:07 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

I define what I want the sound to be and to do

As long as you don't define it for anyone else.

Oh wait, that's pretty much what you did.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Keith G Keith G is offline

Keith G wrote:

No, if you want a chuckle - I have crapped copious amounts of blood
this morning trying to get my Nuvistor laptop to record from a pair
of mics. So far, I have finally managed to get a *stereo* recording
(not easy) but have also managed to swap the previous machine's
intermittent 'heartbeat' for a consistent/continual loud (in the
Plowie sense) *buzz*...!!

And no, I can't post a sample because my FTP programme's grace
period
expired today! (Fekkin' telling me summat it is....)

Go to the command prompt and type

ftp myserver.pipex.net

Should do the job.

No, all I got was 'unknown host'...??

There's tons of free ftp progs out there. Here's one.
http://www.coreftp.com/screens/index.html

I've got that one and 'Coffee Cup' waiting to go. The one I was on was
IPSwitch (30 day Free Trial) and I quite liked it, but not enough to pay
for it!! :-)

And I think you were supposed to insert your own details in place of
"myserver" (makes yer eyes water).

Oops - like 'your name' when swearing in a bunch of recruits! (a la
Blazing Saddles? :-)

I didn't think of that!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article . com,
Gerry wrote:

On May 13, 6:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Seeing all the posts about RIAA filters, I can only say I hope none of
the participants passed on the gene of obsessive shortsightedness that
draws audiophiles into the wastelands of RIAA. Vinyl discs are bad
enough when good clean CD's are available, but RIAA is a bodge to
correct another bodge. Two bodges don't make it right.

Andre Jute
uses only CD and so has time for more music

What the hell is "bodge"????

It may not be completely accurate, but as a working definition I think
of "bodge" as a British synonym for "kludge".

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

Keith G wrote:

No, if you want a chuckle - I have crapped copious amounts of blood
this morning trying to get my Nuvistor laptop to record from a pair
of mics. So far, I have finally managed to get a *stereo* recording
(not easy) but have also managed to swap the previous machine's
intermittent 'heartbeat' for a consistent/continual loud (in the
Plowie sense) *buzz*...!!

And no, I can't post a sample because my FTP programme's grace period
expired today! (Fekkin' telling me summat it is....)

Go to the command prompt and type

ftp myserver.pipex.net

Should do the job.

No, all I got was 'unknown host'...??

Err, I meant that you should replace the myserver.pipex.net with your
actual servers name. You must have specified it when you setup the ftp
client that isn't working.

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

dave weil said:

I define what I want the sound to be and to do

As long as you don't define it for anyone else.
Oh wait, that's pretty much what you did.

Nonconformity is a cardinal sin in the Hive. But you knew that.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

Patrick Turner wrote:

Gerry wrote:

What the hell is "bodge"????

Andre will have his answer, but when he or someone else uses the term
they mean you have to make the signal from the microphone through to the
speaker via vinyl go through a roller coaster ride of "enfrightenment".

Why can't they just record the mic signal after amplifying with a linear
amp,
cutting record with a linear amplitude amp, and having playback
with a flat amp?

What are a few of the reasons? I assume the main reason the RIAA
recording curve shelves down the high frequency groove amplitude is
because if the high frequencies weren't reduced while cutting the record
the groove velocity, and acceleration, at high frequencies would be too
much for the playback pickup to cope with. Cutting the high frequency
amplitude during recording also would reduce the "pinch" effect. Maybe
an expert can tell us the reasons why the high frequency amplitude is
shelved down when cutting a record following the RIAA recording curve?
The down side is that a "bodge" in the form of a complementary high
frequency amplitude boost must be applied during playback, which
accentuates the high frequency noise.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Eiron Eiron is offline

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Gerry wrote:

[...]

You have that graph upside down. HF is boosted for disc cutting
and reduced on playback to reduce noise (among other reasons).

Not many people know that preemphasis is also an option for CDs.

--
Eiron.

May contain traces of irony.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Gerry wrote:
[...]

The reason the HF is turned down by the RIAA EQ is to reduce surface
noise. LPs are essentially a constant velocity system, so higher
frequencies can be boosted on record as their amplitude on the record is
reducing, and cut back on playback, together with the surface noise.

Low frequencies are turned down by the RIAA EQ to reduce their amplitude
so as to ensure the 20 minutes or so playing time per side. If they
were cut flat, the increasing amplitude would mean that much more space
would have to be left between grooves, reducing the playing time very
significantly.

This is an example of " necessity being the mother of invention" It was
necessary to reduce low frequency amplitude, so also deriving the
benefit of reducing HF surface noise too.

This principle was applied later to FM radio, where an HF
preemphasis/deemphasis reduces noise at the expense of HF headroom.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Eiron wrote:

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Gerry wrote:

[...]

No, I have the graph exactly the correct way around. The RIAA disk
cutting curve reduces the high frequency groove amplitude by roughly 12
dB using a shelving equalizer with time constants of 318.3 usec. and 75
usec. You are the one that has his RIAA groove amplitude graph upside
down, I suggest doing a little homework before making further comment so
as not to embarrass yourself in public.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Serge Auckland wrote:

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Gerry wrote:
[...]

No, you have that exactly backwards, the RIAA recording curve reduces
the groove amplitude at high frequencies, requiring a complimentary high
frequency boost in playback, which increases the effects of surface
noise.

LPs are essentially a constant velocity system, so higher
frequencies can be boosted on record as their amplitude on the record is
reducing, and cut back on playback, together with the surface noise.

No, No, a thousand times NO, LP's are essentially a constant amplitude
system with the high frequency groove amplitude shelved down by
approximately 12 dB, LP's are nowhere near a constant velocity system.
Viewed as a constant velocity system approximately 38 dB of equalization
would have to be applied. 12 dB vs. 38 dB makes LP's essentially a
constant amplitude system.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:21:32 -0500, John Byrns

Serge Auckland wrote:

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Gerry wrote:
[...]

This is news to me, and a thousand audio designers for the last
seventy-odd years.

LPs are essentially a constant velocity system, so higher
frequencies can be boosted on record as their amplitude on the record is
reducing, and cut back on playback, together with the surface noise.

No, No, a thousand times NO, LP's are essentially a constant amplitude
system with the high frequency groove amplitude shelved down by
approximately 12 dB, LP's are nowhere near a constant velocity system.
Viewed as a constant velocity system approximately 38 dB of equalization
would have to be applied. 12 dB vs. 38 dB makes LP's essentially a
constant amplitude system.

LPs are a combination of constant velocity and constant amplitude,
depending on the frequency range.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Eiron Eiron is offline

John Byrns wrote:

In article ,
Eiron wrote:

You have that graph upside down. HF is boosted for disc cutting
and reduced on playback to reduce noise (among other reasons).

No, I have the graph exactly the correct way around. The RIAA disk
cutting curve reduces the high frequency groove amplitude by roughly 12
dB using a shelving equalizer with time constants of 318.3 usec. and 75
usec. You are the one that has his RIAA groove amplitude graph upside
down, I suggest doing a little homework before making further comment so
as not to embarrass yourself in public.

I suggest doing a little homework before making further comment
so as not to embarrass yourself even more in public.
And just to get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

--
Eiron.