Jimmy Lee

Default Vanessa Carlton's Drummer

Maybe you are a Vanessa Carlton fan, and maybe not. I have her one CD, and I
like two songs on it. One is called "Ordinary Day" and the other is called
"A Thousand Miles." The rest really sucks from my point of view. But anyhow,
I am struck by the drumming on those two tracks. That guy is just an animal,
and quite the tasteful "artiste." I have no clue who he is, but I listen to
those songs again and again because of the tastefulness of the drums. He
knows the songs and drums accordingly, when most drummers seem to just PLOD
(listen to any Elton John the past decade??? boom a chuck a boom a chuck,
YAWN).

They sound damn good too. However it was recorded, they nailed it hardcore.
N-A-I-L-E-D I-T. Too bad the rest of the CD sucked so bad. You know what
they say: "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

JL
www.cdbaby.com/jimmylee

Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Personally I like the CD, but I do agree with you on the drumming, I was
amazed, across most of the album, not just the two tracks you pointed out.
I saw her at Manchester Academy earlier in the year, and the drumming then
was just as good.

"Jimmy Lee" wrote in message
[...]

EggHd

Wouldn't the drummers name be in the CD booklet?

---------------------------------------
Jimmy Lee

Yeah, I am sure it is. But I get a CD, rip it, give the CD to my niece and
listen while I am running on my tiny MP3 player. Sad, but I stopped reading
liner notes a long time ago. Amazing, but I go to all this trouble to make
my music sound as good as it can, moinitor it on expensive monitirs, etc
etc. But when I listen to music for just pure enjoyment, I use cheapo
headphones and an MP3 player.

Talk about a double standard. That's like Spielberg and Lucas watching
movies on an old Mono Two Head VHS on a B/W TV.

"EggHd" wrote in message
Wouldn't the drummers name be in the CD booklet?

---------------------------------------

John L Rice

"EggHd" wrote in message
Wouldn't the drummers name be in the CD booklet?

Yup, it is! I had looked before but missed it. There is a section where
they list all the orchestra members but it's not there. I just looked again
and it's on a different page.

The drummer is Abe Laboriel Jr. Also Leland Sklar on bass.

More on Abe :
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...boriel_jr.html

John L Rice

Ricky W. Hunt

"Jimmy Lee" wrote in message
I am struck by the drumming on those two tracks.

I feel the same way about Lucinda William's "Carwheels On a Gravel Road".
The drumming is sheer perfection.

WillStG

"John L Rice"

The drummer is Abe Laboriel Jr. Also Leland Sklar on bass.

Well, that would about account for it...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Nil

On 13 Dec 2003, "John L Rice" wrote in
:

The drummer is Abe Laboriel Jr. Also Leland Sklar on bass.

More on Abe :
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...boriel_jr.html

Good player! He did a bang-up job in Paul McCarney's band on his past
album and tour.

Charles Thomas

I saw Vanessa on some "Live at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame"
performance on VH1 about a year ago or so.

I'm not a huge fan of her music, but she certainly did put 100% into her
performance. She was burning up there and really putting it out.

To me, that factor... that someone gives everything they have to give
when they perform... it means a LOT.

CT
R Krizman

I feel the same way about Lucinda William's "Carwheels On a Gravel Road".
The drumming is sheer perfection.

Probably my alltime favorite album. I forget who the drummer was. Didn't Tony
Braunigal play on a few cuts?

-R