Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Default Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

If you prefer to sit in the dark, listening to test tones with your
perfect 0 percent distortion amp driving 6 way speakers (to get every
bit of that frequency response), more power to you.

This used to be a hobbyist site, where all sorts of speakers and tube
topoligies were discussed, mostly with a bit of dignity and respect.
It seems to have degraded to a bunch of knee-jerk engineering
narrow-minded snipers, hell-bent on telling us what couldn't possibly
be good for audio. I don't recall ever hearing so much negativity about
audio on this group, even with all the old flame wars (I've been around
the NG for about 7 years or so).

I was a newbie thinking of messing around with tube audio, this group
would knock the stuffing out of my aspirations and ideas on no time
flat.

Bob H.

Eeyore wrote:
Sander deWaal wrote:

Eeyore said:

You're pathetic. A tribute to audiophoolery.

Al 's a happy tinkerer.
With all respect for your status as a pro designer (so am I, in a
smaller and different way), I'm afraid you've lost that ability
somewhere along the way............

I think you'd be mistaken there !

I love that kind of tinkering that ( for example ) reduces THD to vanishingly
small levels such as 0.00x %. It's a technical and intellectual challenge and I
don't have to use brute force global nfb to do it either !

Of course I don't 'tinker' as such, apart maybe from on the simulation package.
Almost all of it is pure science. Very satisfying it is too to see it work as
per the theory.

It's also nice to hear ppl praise one's products to because they like the way
they sound. :-)

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Vishay talk ******** - was Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Phat Bytestard wrote:

On 25 Jul 2006 19:32:06 -0700, "
The top posting dip****, gave us:

Hi John,

Since Graham has forced us to this dance, may I say you seem to have
your priorities straight,

Are you smarter than Graham, or simply older? Both?

Please, if you are younger and dumber than G, keep it to yourself.

If you can do that, you are smarter than you know who

You're an idiot. The top post proves that.

He's also a believer in *magic capacitors* ! Notably these ones he's recently
installed.
http://v-cap.com/tefloncapacitors.html

" Now it is possible to get the smooth, liquid, and "musical" presentation of an
oil capacitor, but with even better refinement, transparency and inner detail.
Hear and feel true low frequency extension without any loss of control. Immerse
youself in a holographic soundstage emanating from a velvety black background,
while enjoying the midrange liquidity and bloom coveted by oil capacitor
afficionados. "

Maybe John would like to clarify for him what he thinks of audiophools ?

Graham

OK, is the proper bottom post? You guys are picky, picky, picky.

You'll never be criticised for bottom posting for sure. Inline posting is excellent
too.

On rare occasions top-posting is acceptable but normally frowned upon otherwise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post

I like the caps. I did say ignore the mumbo jumbo.

I was meaning to ask what kind of caps they replaced btw. You may be interested to
know that *some* caps are indeed unsuitable for audio signal circuits. Notably certain
types of ceramic caps ( medium-K and hi-K types ) and electrolyic caps when misused /
abused / improperly specced for the job . All can add distortion which is easily
measured to clarify the point.

Perhaps audiophool
is overly specific. I am an old fool who likes what he hears, whether
or not I really hear it or just think I hear it

Sorry, Graham, I thought maybe you had the best test gear, I get lots
of this technical stuff out of sequence. That's why I don't work, ...
well, that and being horizontal, mostly

I do have access to Audio Precision test gear but I don't own it. I've considerd
buying my own set though.
http://www.audioprecision.com/index.php

Actually, I believe Graham cross posted my thread, so only he needs
admit to any rabid ear bigotry

It proved interesting and certainly put my mind at rest over something that had been
bothering me - noisy surface mount resistors btw - so my aversion to ( or rather
caution about ) going suface mount proves not have been misplaced.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Bob H." wrote:

If you prefer to sit in the dark, listening to test tones with your
perfect 0 percent distortion amp driving 6 way speakers (to get every
bit of that frequency response), more power to you.

I don't though ! Indeed my favourite music is a live performance.

This used to be a hobbyist site, where all sorts of speakers and tube
topoligies were discussed, mostly with a bit of dignity and respect.
It seems to have degraded to a bunch of knee-jerk engineering
narrow-minded snipers, hell-bent on telling us what couldn't possibly
be good for audio. I don't recall ever hearing so much negativity about
audio on this group, even with all the old flame wars (I've been around
the NG for about 7 years or so).

Well, I have no respect for pseudo-science, myth and old wives' tales which is all
that *certain* contributors to this group ( one of them for the most part ) can
offer.

The simple fact of the matter is that science *does* have the answers but you need to
understand the science ( and engineering practice ) first !

I was a newbie thinking of messing around with tube audio, this group
would knock the stuffing out of my aspirations and ideas on no time
flat.

You're afraid of healthy debate ?

I'm well aware that some ppl enjoy the colouration of vintage circuitry and toobs in
particular - and they're fully entitled to their preferences but for them to present
it as some kind of superior 'fidelity' is plain perverse. There is really a need for
a new term. One that takes account of the subjective nature of the opinions. I rather
doubt all toob lovers like the SET configuration for example, yet some rave about it
as if it were the Holy Grail !

Perhaps you could offer an opinion as to why a certain poster here talks about
'silicon slime' - and then justify why the criticism can be one way only ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

The simple fact of the matter is that science *does* have the answers but you need to
understand the science ( and engineering practice ) first !

I have the equipment, but I let my ears tell me what sounds good to me.

I am a electronics tech, but you DON'T have to understand those things
in order to build an good amp or speakers, and many people have built
their own equipment succesfully with guidance from others who do
understand the the HOBBY.

You're afraid of healthy debate ?

I'd hardly call condemning entire areas of audio reproduction as only
for fools healthy. It's just niave and arrogant.

Perhaps you could offer an opinion as to why a certain poster here talks about
'silicon slime' - and then justify why the criticism can be one way only ?

I don't know, but you seem to be following in the same footsteps about
set and fr.
Perhaps you could just refer to me as setslime?

I'm well aware that some ppl enjoy the colouration of vintage circuitry and toobs in
particular - and they're fully entitled to their preferences but for them to present
it as some kind of superior 'fidelity' is plain perverse. There is really a need for
a new term. One that takes account of the subjective nature of the opinions. I rather
doubt all toob lovers like the SET configuration for example, yet some rave about it
as if it were the Holy Grail !

All I stated previously was my opinion, that I like fr speakers and
set. I didn't say anything about "holy grails" or other such. Your
bias and narrow-mindedness has created all the colorful descriptions
stated above.
I like set, pp, and in fact am listening music on a two stage cathode
follower on headphones at the moment. When I disconnected the ot's, I
simply changed cathode resistors until the music sounded right. No
science there, just listening.

and BTW, where do you get coloration about an amp running .8 percent
thd at 1 watt with almost no level of 3rd hd with a solid 20-20k freq
responce, on a speaker which only requires about half of that for loud
listening?
Is it created somewhere? Elves, perhaps?

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Bob H." wrote:

The simple fact of the matter is that science *does* have the answers but you need to
understand the science ( and engineering practice ) first !

I have the equipment, but I let my ears tell me what sounds good to me.

I am a electronics tech, but you DON'T have to understand those things
in order to build an good amp or speakers,

That may produce an adequate amplifier or whatever but unlikely ever to produce a stunning
one. I'm well aware that ppl tend to proud of their own creations to the point of losing
objectivity.

and many people have built
their own equipment succesfully with guidance from others who do
understand the the HOBBY.

There's something wrong with understanding the science as part of a hobby ? A classic case
of today's dumbing down if you ask me ! I started off as a hobbyist myself at 12 FWIW and
*learnt* as well as tinkered.

You're afraid of healthy debate ?

I'd hardly call condemning entire areas of audio reproduction as only
for fools healthy. It's just niave and arrogant.

Where did I condemn it ?

Perhaps you could offer an opinion as to why a certain poster here talks about
'silicon slime' - and then justify why the criticism can be one way only ?

I don't know, but you seem to be following in the same footsteps about
set and fr.
Perhaps you could just refer to me as setslime?

What's set and fr ? Oh - ok I got it. I'm used to seeing SET.

I'm well aware that some ppl enjoy the colouration of vintage circuitry and toobs in
particular - and they're fully entitled to their preferences but for them to present
it as some kind of superior 'fidelity' is plain perverse. There is really a need for
a new term. One that takes account of the subjective nature of the opinions. I rather
doubt all toob lovers like the SET configuration for example, yet some rave about it
as if it were the Holy Grail !

All I stated previously was my opinion, that I like fr speakers

Oh. Full range. Shame what you're missing I guess. I'll venture that's because you've never
heard anything really good so you're effectively stuck in a rut.

My own speakers have leaf tweeters btw. I doubt you're listening to that kind of treble
clarity.

There is simply *no way* that any full range driver even comes with hailing distance of any
of these for example ( oh and there are good scientific reasons why - unless you're keen on
'telephone line quality' of course )
http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/index2.html

and
set. I didn't say anything about "holy grails" or other such.

I had someone else in mind actually !

Your
bias and narrow-mindedness has created all the colorful descriptions
stated above.

You haven't seen the kind of bias and narrow-mindedness that others here exhibit ! They
wouldn't even allow me my preferences ! At least I'm honest about accepting other ppls'
listening likes and dislikes even if I can't understand them ( a bit like religion really
and the SET crowd are indeed quasi-religious in their belief - so absurd has it become )

I like set, pp, and in fact am listening music on a two stage cathode
follower on headphones at the moment.

A cathode follower is about as different to an SET as it's possible to get ! They're
actually quite linear which is something you could never say of the SET.

When I disconnected the ot's,

Eh ? Care to explain what you did in detail ?

simply changed cathode resistors until the music sounded right. No
science there, just listening.

and BTW, where do you get coloration about an amp running .8 percent
thd at 1 watt with almost no level of 3rd hd with a solid 20-20k freq
responce, on a speaker which only requires about half of that for loud
listening?
Is it created somewhere? Elves, perhaps?

An SET with no feedback will for starters have a very coloured frequency response as its
output is very senstive to load impedance ( and speakers have very variable impedance with
frequency ).

' Almost no level' of 3rd harmonic isn't truly a measure I can relate to.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Eeyore said:

You're pathetic. A tribute to audiophoolery.

Al 's a happy tinkerer.
With all respect for your status as a pro designer (so am I, in a
smaller and different way), I'm afraid you've lost that ability
somewhere along the way............

I think you'd be mistaken there !

I sure hope so.

I love that kind of tinkering that ( for example ) reduces THD to vanishingly
small levels such as 0.00x %. It's a technical and intellectual challenge and I
don't have to use brute force global nfb to do it either !

That's *your* challenge.
Al's challenge is to get something working that satisfies him.
MyFi, remember?

Of course I don't 'tinker' as such, apart maybe from on the simulation package.
Almost all of it is pure science. Very satisfying it is too to see it work as
per the theory.

So can tinkering with tubes be.

It's also nice to hear ppl praise one's products to because they like the way
they sound. :-)

I know the feeling ;-)

Nevertheless, I'm somewhere between worlds I think.
On the one side, I am a professional designer, striving for high
accuracy at loud levels with solid state designs.
On the other side, I am a hobbyist, and I confess to have tried using
different kinds of capacitors in my hobby amps as well.
The (single) blind test I once performed, showed me no difference
between cheap Wimas and expensive Mundorfs.

And yet, I put in those Mundorfs, just because I liked them!
I know all the arguments as to why it shouldn't matter, I have the
results of my blind test, but I still dervive more pleasure from
knowing the Mundorfs are in there.
Don't you think Al *knows* that his new caps don't do things
differently?
He doesn't care, cuz it makes him a happer man.

I can understand both the scientific approach, and the hobbyist
approach. I have respect for both.

And I certainly have respect for Al, doing what he is doing.
Being a whiplash patient myself, I all too well understand his
comments about having enough energy left to do something.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

John Fields wrote:

EG&G, early on, had "Vactrols" with incandescents, LED's, and Neons
as the emitters and LDRs as the variable resistance elements.

They still do. The incandescent is slower than the LDR, but the LED and
neons are faster. The LED has a pretty sharp knee, the neons have a
sharper knee, and the incandescent hardly has any knee at all. All good
tools for different jobs.

When you say 'knee' here Scott, which 2 parameters are you comparing ?

Input voltage (or current, depending on the device) and output resistance.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] jpasono@hotmail.com is offline

On 20 Jul 2006 23:59:44 -0700, wrote:

Hi RATs!

http://v-cap.com/tefloncapacitors.html

never mind the mumbo-jumbo deluxe chatter:

These things sound better than her saying this is your lucky night ...

sell your Mother down the river and get what you really need: some new
capacitors.

Happy Ears!
Al Marcy

PS These sound too good for some people. You know who you are ...

SUCKER TOYS...
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Prune" wrote in message
4.76...

That was a joke, of course. However, for Wikipedia indeed I have great
distrust, since with a little research some very serious issues about the
editorial wars and various unscrupulous practices of Wikipedia's overseers
come up.

That would be claimed unscrupulous practices, not unambigiously proven ones.

Are there unhappy critics of any work of substance? Of course!

The truth is that in a democracy one gets the rule of the lowest
common denominator -- and that's a bad thing.

Then the good news for you is that democratic means are not used to
determine what appears in the Wikipedia.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Phat Bytestard Phat Bytestard is offline

On 25 Jul 2006 21:40:12 -0700, "
Gave us:

OK, is the proper bottom post? You guys are picky, picky, picky.

It has been a Usenet convention for over 30 years.

Do you run red light just because you feel like it or are too lazy
to stop?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Phil is offline

Phil Allison wrote:

http://v-cap.com/tefloncapacitors.html

** Err - does " tin foil " = aluminium foil, here ??

...... Phil

No, these use tin, not aluminum.

Phil
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubegarden@aol.com is offline

Phil wrote:

No, these use tin, not aluminum.

Phil

Hi RATs!

Subject caps now have 300+ hours of playing time. They are very
pleasant. Perhaps more so, as they "burn in", but, let us be fair, it
is hard to do double blind testing of the same devices at different
points in time. Maybe I am learning to appreciate them more! (But, I am
doubtful I am learning anything, at my age ...)

I only bought these caps because a neighborhood old audio fool I have
learned to believe over the years (and I trust everybody, but, believe
nobody, except a few, on occasion...) bought some and was pleased.

No one showed me real measurements I wouldn't care if they are
cleverly disguised inner chewing gum wrappers rolled into capacitor
looking packages. I like how they sound.

And, I know someone who has an Audio Precision system in his home. He
gives me lots of good advice. He never mentions his toy gives him the
insight of God Almighty. Perhaps he is too wise for such silly
posturing

Changing anything in my Audio Dungeon may affect my perception of
Music. I may notice 8^0

Changing nothing in my Audio Dungeon might be good for earnest
evaluations of components, but I Ching is a rascally Coyote ...

I enjoy Music through cheap SS amps and cheap speakers, too. I do not
think they sound the same as my fancy stuff, but, Music hath charms to
soothe the savage technoid.

I enjoy the Quest. I enjoy the comradery. I suffer the neo-wizards
lightly. Forgive them, Father, they just like to talk, too ... just
like me.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors, and Auricaps or others

" wrote:

Phil wrote:

No, these use tin, not aluminum.

Phil

Hi RATs!

Subject caps now have 300+ hours of playing time. They are very
pleasant. Perhaps more so, as they "burn in", but, let us be fair, it
is hard to do double blind testing of the same devices at different
points in time. Maybe I am learning to appreciate them more! (But, I am
doubtful I am learning anything, at my age ...)

I only bought these caps because a neighborhood old audio fool I have
learned to believe over the years (and I trust everybody, but, believe
nobody, except a few, on occasion...) bought some and was pleased.

About the same kind of things get said about Auricaps, that after fitting
them they "burn in" and
begin to increase the quality of the sound in subjective ways.
I replaced regular Wima polyprops in a client's preamp recently and did one
channel before the other.
We had an AB test with various music recordings in mono to find if he could
choose which channel had the
Auricaps and which one had the old Wimas ( which presumably were "burned
in" ).
He could not identify better than 50% of the time or say which channel was
better, different, or had the Auricaps or Wimas.
I switched between one channel and the other, asking him to identify where
the "better" caps were or not,
but he just couldn't pick it out accurately. I smiled when he said "that's
definately the better one with the auricaps"
after switching from Auricaps to Wimas.
I heard no changes, it was all fine wine to me.
There would have been no point in measuring the thd of the amps with
different caps because the
thd caused by good quality plastic film coupling caps in high impedance
circuits between
tubes is almost unmeasurable.

"Burn in" when used about capacitors is another phrase which means
that an owner has become used to the pain and expense of changeing coupling
caps, and has
mentally accepted them, like getting used to a new maid, even though she
doesn't work any
better than the old maid.
The same things are said and done with cables and line conditioners and a
few other absurd things
that ppl like to suggest make a difference.

Audiophiles like to credit themselves with super-abilities that us ordinary
mortals do not possess.
They place their hearing abilities above everyone else. In some cases, a
few DO have
better hearing, they understand words of opera and songs better than myself
or anyone else and can hum along
in perfect pitch, and their brain is obviously better connected to the
music than most of
the rest of the population. They even understand the purposes of the
emotional intentions expressed
in the music by the composer. But alas in simple AB tests where they are
asked to identify equipment changes
they don't fare much better than anyone else with supposedly normal
hearing.
I have no problem challenging their sacred cow beliefs so to find truth and
thus be better
equipped to build fine systems for such people.

I have always enjoyed my above clients system with or without his Auricaps.

He has an excellent turntable with hi-end MC which renders vinyl better
than most SACD, CD DVD etc,
and nevertheless has excellent silver disk replay systems.

He is very happy and that's what counts. His system is one of very few I
like listening to
all night, and I would rate it better than my own, but mainly because the
source
devices, ie, silver disc and black disc devices are better than anyone
else's.
Maybe the caps make a difference, but I really doubt it, it could be blind
insurance,
"put in these acclaimed caps just in case.."
Acclaimed by who? where does the BS start? with a bribe of someone in an
audio magazine
to give a good review?

Usually when the guys I know here start raving about capacitor sound they
do so
WITHOUT A REFERENCE SYSTEM FOR COMPARISONS.
So they just change something such as caps without comparing to a second
reference system
and say they hear better sound.

But are they? What is the reality?

I give them full permission to fool themselves, but none to fool me.

I have two complete systems in my lounge, and many comparisons have been
made.
The change from having crossover points in a 3 way speaker system from 1kHz
and 5 kHz to
250Hz and 3 kHz was astounding once I learnt about LCR theory, applied it,
and built
a decent measurement system.
Later when i changed from cheap asian made speaker drivers to SEAS drivers
there was another revelation, and I realised I'd wasted a lot of time on
crap made in China.
The tighter magnetic gap tolerances and cone materials in Norwegian
speakers
resulted in clearer and more precise accurtate music.

Caps and cables have made imperceptible differences.
I tried Allen Wright foil types of interconnects, twisted pairs, no change.

Maybe the system was already as good as it was gonna get.
I hear little difference between good class A tube amps and my class A
mosfet
amps.
I thought I could here something different until I did the careful AB test,
and asked
a couple of other folks around.....
Some SS amps are disgraceful though.....no doubt about that.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Prune Prune is offline

Patrick Turner wrote in
:

thd caused by good quality plastic film coupling caps in high
impedance circuits between
tubes is almost unmeasurable.

Not just between tubes. My voltage-output DAC chip is coupled by Auricaps
to the JFET buffer gates; I tried DC coupling by shifting the whole DAC
power supply with a DC servo, and couldn't hear a difference.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

" said:

Subject caps now have 300+ hours of playing time. They are very
pleasant. Perhaps more so, as they "burn in", but, let us be fair, it
is hard to do double blind testing of the same devices at different
points in time. Maybe I am learning to appreciate them more! (But, I am
doubtful I am learning anything, at my age ...)

I once had a Wima MKP burn in on me.
Turned out it had some 350 V across it, where only 250 was allowed.
It lasted for a couple of hours, though. ;-)

Otherwise, just enjoy what's in your amp, enjoy the tinkering, and
forget about double blind testing and other scientific stuff, they
only serve to take the pleasure out of your hobby.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Aristotle Eisenglas wrote:

The UK lies 1st in the world murder league table, with 13.93
murders per 100,000 population. The USA, with far higher levels
of firearms ownership, is 20th, with 9.31 per 100,000. These are
Interpol's published figures, not mine.

Whose post did you get that from ?

The UK figure is wildly wrong of course. It's actually about 1.6 - a sixth of
the US figure.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Mike Monett Mike Monett is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Aristotle Eisenglas wrote:

The UK lies 1st in the world murder league table, with 13.93
murders per 100,000 population. The USA, with far higher levels
of firearms ownership, is 20th, with 9.31 per 100,000. These are
Interpol's published figures, not mine.

Whose post did you get that from ?

The UK figure is wildly wrong of course. It's actually about 1.6 - a
sixth of the US figure.

Graham

You do realize you are talking to a software program, don't you? It's like
those email trojans that pick phrases from your correspondence to send to
victims in your address book. The random phrases makes it seem legit.

The author is just trying it out to see if anyone falls for it. John also
tried to argue with it.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:
http://silversol.freewebpage.org/index.htm
SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
http://silversol.freewebpage.org/spice/xtal/clapp.htm
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/add.automat...pler/intro.htm
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Mike Monett wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Aristotle Eisenglas wrote:

The UK lies 1st in the world murder league table, with 13.93
murders per 100,000 population. The USA, with far higher levels
of firearms ownership, is 20th, with 9.31 per 100,000. These are
Interpol's published figures, not mine.

Whose post did you get that from ?

The UK figure is wildly wrong of course. It's actually about 1.6 - a
sixth of the US figure.

Graham

You do realize you are talking to a software program, don't you? It's like
those email trojans that pick phrases from your correspondence to send to
victims in your address book. The random phrases makes it seem legit.

The author is just trying it out to see if anyone falls for it. John also
tried to argue with it.

I was wondering if it was a bot or human actually. Time to look at the headers
to see who's monkeying around.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

I was wondering if it was a bot or human actually. Time to look at the headers
to see who's monkeying around.

Graham

Hi RATs!

I wonder about some poster's CPU architecture, myself

I got same value Obbligato Copper caps and put them in one channel.
Used one of each brand in the new AC snubber circuit

After a few weeks, I will see if my initial enthusiasm was just good
vibes or actually good tunes ...

Happy Ears!
Al

PS The Obbies cost $2.50 each, which is still out of this world for
real professional engineers to spec, so my efforts are probably in
vain, no matter what results I conjure up

PPS Meanwhile, the Music is great ...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design

On 4 Aug 2006 18:30:55 -0700, "
wrote:

PPS Meanwhile, the Music is great ...

Hey, Al. Glad to see you're still kickin'an'scratchin'.

Missed the preceding discussion, but glad to hear from ya.
Keep 'em flying,

Chris Hornbeck

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Phat Bytestard Phat Bytestard is offline

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:29:16 -0000, Aristotle Eisenglas
Gave us:

But I can tell
you

Do you always post 100% meaningless tripe?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Phil is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

" wrote:

Phil wrote:

No, these use tin, not aluminum.

Phil

Hi RATs!

Subject caps now have 300+ hours of playing time. They are very
[...]

Remember, Patrick, the A-B double blind test doesn't work in audio,
because it fails to achieve its primary purpose, namely the "isolation
of a variable." When you switch back and forth, you test two variables,
not one, the capacitor, and the ability of the mind to remember audio
passages. The Boulder amplifier company noted in a letter to the Audio
Critic that when they changed a cap WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE, they would
get tons of letters saying "What did you do, this is great?!", and yet
they knew from actual trials that in AB comparisons, no one could
distinguish between the old and new caps. The letters proved that (1)
there was indeed an audible difference, and (2) that their AB trials --
some of them even double-blind -- were incapable of detecting this
difference. The reason is obvious: By switching back and forth, you test
not only the component, but also the mind's ability to "fill in the
gaps," to remember, when hearing the old cap, the information that was
learned when listening to the new cap.

Perhaps by playing a section of music, say, 6 times in a row, and
switching to the new cap at some point unknown to the listener (after
the 2nd, OR 3rd, OR 4th, etc. time), you will find that the listener can
identify when the switch was made, BUT, you can only play a given piece
of music ONCE. Who knows? Perhaps by performing a test that, unlike the
standard implementation of the double-blind test, you will be able to
identify those componenets that truly are superior -- at least, in
combination (use, as some have suggested, a Teflon first, a Mundorf
last) -- and then make an amp that is far superior to anything you have
made so far. However, note that when a change is indeed detectable, and
initially preferable -- perhaps because it provides information unheard
before -- that over the long term, a change from a good component to a
bad component (or circuit) will result in a less satisfying system,
which is not listened to or enjoyed as much, again, even though the
change to that component or circuit INITIALLY seemed to be an
improvement. Perhaps testing listener's reactions when going both from
cap A to cap B, AND from cap B to cap A (using different selections for
each test, of course, so that you don't wind up accidently, but also
stupidly, SHIFTING from a test of the cap, to a test of the mind's
ability to "fill in the gaps"), will help to identify the "better" changes.

Phil

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Phil"

Remember, Patrick, the A-B double blind test doesn't work in audio,

** What absolute crap !!

Such tests have been used by PROFESSIONALS in audio for many decades.

When *real* differences exist, they get picked up by listeners very quickly
in controlled A-B changeover tests.

because it fails to achieve its primary purpose, namely the "isolation of
a variable." When you switch back and forth, you test two variables, not
one, the capacitor, and the ability of the mind to remember audio
passages.

** Easily eliminated by making the A-B changeover *instant* and at the whim
of the listener.

Here is one very simply way to do it:

http://sound.westhost.com/absw.htm

The Boulder amplifier company noted in a letter to the Audio Critic ....

** ROTFL - what pathetic drivel.

Some dopey, damn letter is not scientific evidence of any kind.

Get real.

........... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Phil wrote

[...]

Interesting, thanks.

My point has always been that difference is not something we can hear, so "hear
the difference" is not as simple as it may seem.

We hear one sound, then we hear another. To arrive at a difference it is not
only necessary to remember the first whilst listening to the second, but also to
draw a conclusion from some process of comparison.

Is it possible that someone of good hearing who enjoys music and has the
appropriate memory, could fall at the last hurdle? Or are we all equally capable
of making comparisons once we have two sets of data equally clearly in mind?

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:

Interesting, thanks.

Since you don't have a functioing brain I'm surprised you find anything
'interesting' at all.

My point has always been that difference is not something we can hear, so "hear
the difference" is not as simple as it may seem.

Yet another clueless believer in the myth of being able to hear what can't be
measured ?

The difference is in the brain. Any drug induced experience wil rapidly explain
that. The cheapest and most effective upgrade to any hi-fi is a spliff !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Phil wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

" wrote:

Phil wrote:

No, these use tin, not aluminum.

Phil

Hi RATs!

Subject caps now have 300+ hours of playing time. They are very
[...]

Thanks for your contribution about AB tests.

AB tests are all I have and AB tests do indicate many listeners cannot discern
which capacitors are being used in an amplifier.

Its as simple as that, and further more I have changed from polypropylene to
polyester
or vice versa nobody has heard any difference to the sound.
Next time you build a speaker crossover, change from a 5 uF bipolar electro
to a plastic film cap and notice the complete lack of sound quality change.

The sound is dertermined by factors of recording standards, room quality,
speakers, source, amplifiers etc, and all the many variables within those
categories
People like to think they hear a difference between capacitors and cables but
when challenged to proove they can detect any difference at all they routinely
fail
to hear anything better than 50% chance would predict.

But where directed to instal whatever capacitors make people happy, then I
always just instal them.

The customer is king.

Customers are not dumb, and generally can discern which system they
may prefer.
Unfortunately, I cannot give them the opportunity to auditon 20 different
output transformers and that number of different amp topologies.
I can only build amps with low noise, low thd, low Rout and wide bandwidth.
I mostly generate sales because what I make sounds better in a total way to what
they were used to.

Many amp makers simply rely on getting the numbers right first.
Tweaking around at the edges with capacitor brands and cables appears to actually
do
an extremely small amount of improvement to the sound.
Many amp makers, perhaps myself included make such fine sounding gear that
usually the changing of caps or cables is simply unecessary.

I have no doubt that using the most expensive caps or cables constitutes
very good engineering practice, and I go right along with anyone who says
that brand X is darn good stuff.
But should they allege brand X is better than brand Y, then sometimes I must
humbly request
proof of their allegations. Where they refuse such proof, and cite all the perils
of AB testing
and its spurious nature, then so be it, I leave them with their refusals and
obfuscations
and proceed to build amps without the benefit of their wisdoms, but with whatever
parts they request,
but otherwise to my own standards which work well and with complexities that are
quite incomprehensible to the vast majority of the most seriously minded
audiophiles.

Its easy to make a triode amp that sounds blameless, regardless of what caps or
cables are used.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Phil is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Patrick, did you actually THINK about what I said? If I plug your ears
with wax, and then test to see if you hear a difference between amps or
speakers, would you consider that to be a valid test? I am not objecting
to your using AB-tests, I am pointing out to you that using a TYPE of
AB-test that causes, actually forces, the test to shift from being an
accurate test of the actual differences between two components (this
assumes that you have two components that really do have significant
differences), to the ability of a listener's mind to "fill in the gaps"
when a less revealing component is substituted, is stupid.

Ignoring Phil Allison's useless, very old debating technique of throwing
out a bunch of general criticisms without providing any supporting
examples or facts (apparently he can say "that's stupid" and it
mystically comes true! I wish he would mystically declare that I'm rich
....), look again at what the makers of Boulder amps said. They found the
issue of the STANDARD AB-test confusing, because on the one hand they
got your results -- caps A and B could not be distinguished in a normal
AB test -- and yet another type of double-blind test, which
automatically occured when they changed from using cap A to cap B in
their amps without telling anyone, frequently resulted in a ton of
letters saying how much the amp's sound had changed.

Scientifically speaking, using the standard rules of logic, it
NECESSARILY FOLLOWS from the experience of the people at Boulder that
the standard AB test, which switches back and forth between two
components when listening to a single piece of music, has a low level of
resolution, period. Now, I THINK, given that the normal version of the
AB test does allow the listener to memorize the music -- and this next
conclusion is NOT something that absolutely MUST be true from the rules
of logic -- that the reason for this drop in resolution is because the
standard AB test actually winds up testing two variables, not the one it
was designed for, namely the actual differences between components, AND
the abilty of the mind to "hear" what it has remembered from previous
runs, thereby overwhelming the actual data provided to the mind from the
ear. In other words, we cannot ASSUME that the mind hears only the data
stream that the ear is sending to it WHEN the mind has repeatedly heard
both the current data stream (cap A) and a very similar data stream
(cap B) before. Does anyone have an INTELLIGENT, scientifically HONEST
and VALID objection to that statement?

My proposed solution is simply an attempt, and I'm not certain that it
will work, to greatly improve the resolution of the AB test by removing
this second variable, by removing the ability of the mind to overide the
data actually presented to the mind by the ear. This isn't a mindless
"components do too sound different!" rant, it's an honest, serious
attempt to provide an intellectually valid assessment of the needs and
requirements of accurate testing. If AB tests that really do fully test
the real differences between components show that no differences between
film caps exist, then I will say that those of us who claim to hear such
differences are indeed stupid. I won't be happy about it, but I WILL say it.

Why don't you (and that uselss idiot, Allison) ask yourself a couple of
simple questions? One, assume that there really are no differences
between caps A and B (hell, just use the same cap in all six runs!);
would my proposed test consistently show that differences do exist? I
say no. Do you agree? Two, given two caps that really do have
significant differences, will my proposed test have at least some chance
of reliably detecting that difference? I say yes, although at this
point, we don't know for certain whether it will have more, less, or the
same sensitivity as the standard AB test. However, IF it turns out that
my test does indeed have much greater resolving power than the standard
AB test -- due to heretofore unrecognized defects in the current
implementation of the standard AB test -- then wouldn't ANYONE designing
audio products want to have access to those superior test results?
Wouldn't you? Unless someone can prove, using the rules of logic, that
my test is inferior to the standard AB test, we really won't know for
sure until someone tries it.

Phil

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Phil wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Of course not.

I am not objecting
to your using AB-tests, I am pointing out to you that using a TYPE of
AB-test that causes, actually forces, the test to shift from being an
accurate test of the actual differences between two components (this
assumes that you have two components that really do have significant
differences), to the ability of a listener's mind to "fill in the gaps"
when a less revealing component is substituted, is stupid.

I tested Auricaps A-B to see if any detectable difference could be detected at all.

None was detected better than chance.

The two of us at the test wanted to know if the Auricaps were detectably " better
sounding"
than Wimas.

I heard no changes whatsoever, and I don't care if the makers of Wima and Auricap
and their groupies think I am cloth eared.

The other guy was asked simply which he liked better about 10 times with a range of
repeated music tracks
and I kept a tally of what he thought sounded better. I was the only one making the
switch from
the Wimas to Auricaps, and recording his reaction to the different capacitors.
It was 50-50 score for Wima and Auricaps.

There was no attempt to force anyone to do anything or to
proove that A-B tests become a test of humans rather than the gear being compared.

Of course it IS a test of humans. Humans go around saying A is audibly better than B.
I ask then to sit in the hot seat and have a listen to A and then B, without
knowing whether it is A or B.
Sometimes they will say there's a big difference when you have not changed from A to B.

AB tests make fools of so many people and some are in the high places of
audiophool-dom,
and some are miffed that anyone may challenge their private theories about what sounds
better,
and proove they have no clue really.
I've seen many a dude create arguments to denigrate simple A-B tests to wheedle out of
having
to put up or shut up.

Where some differences are found, its often a case of its all good wine,
and a cabernet sauvignon is just different to a shiraz, not necessarily better or
worse.

Ignoring Phil Allison's useless, very old debating technique of throwing
out a bunch of general criticisms without providing any supporting
examples or facts (apparently he can say "that's stupid" and it
mystically comes true! I wish he would mystically declare that I'm rich
...), look again at what the makers of Boulder amps said. They found the
issue of the STANDARD AB-test confusing, because on the one hand they
got your results -- caps A and B could not be distinguished in a normal
AB test -- and yet another type of double-blind test, which
automatically occured when they changed from using cap A to cap B in
their amps without telling anyone, frequently resulted in a ton of
letters saying how much the amp's sound had changed.

I have changed amps surrepticiously from an 85-85 class A tube amp to 2 x 300W SS
with a group of 4 audio guys one evening here and NONE noticed any change.
Both amps sounded fine, maybe because they were made by the same guy with the same eye
for
detail about what was important to get right.

Scientifically speaking, using the standard rules of logic, it
NECESSARILY FOLLOWS from the experience of the people at Boulder that
the standard AB test, which switches back and forth between two
components when listening to a single piece of music, has a low level of
resolution, period.

Well yes, unless large differences in the gear are present.

Now, I THINK, given that the normal version of the
AB test does allow the listener to memorize the music -- and this next
conclusion is NOT something that absolutely MUST be true from the rules
of logic -- that the reason for this drop in resolution is because the
standard AB test actually winds up testing two variables, not the one it
was designed for, namely the actual differences between components, AND
the abilty of the mind to "hear" what it has remembered from previous
runs, thereby overwhelming the actual data provided to the mind from the
ear. In other words, we cannot ASSUME that the mind hears only the data
stream that the ear is sending to it WHEN the mind has repeatedly heard
both the current data stream (cap A) and a very similar data stream
(cap B) before. Does anyone have an INTELLIGENT, scientifically HONEST
and VALID objection to that statement?

AB tests are FLAMBOOZLING TO MANY PEOPLE.
OK, so darn what?

[...]

Gee Zuss!

Such logic I ain't ever had to wade through before.

I just ask Joe, which do you like better, A or B?, and switch a few times
on the same bit of music.
Joe anwers to the question about 10 times where I try deliberately to trick him,
and if the results proove he did no better than guess, then not much difference exists.

Sometimes its a chalk and cheese process, say you change between different 6CG7 brands
in a line stage without NFB. Inexplicable sonic changes are heard, thd is below 0.02%,
so distortion isn't the reason, all tubes measure about the same......
I've witnessed 4 guys all agreeing that tube A was far inferior to tube B,
where B was NOS Siemans 6CG7, and A was a new Sovtek 6CG7.

Maybe the Sovtek would mature like a fine wine with some age.
Who knows? repeating the test months later after ageing the poor tube in a test circuit

might improve the sound.
Some AB tests raise more questions than can be answered, but the real audiophile is
nervous and even neurotic about component choice, and is always worrying about what
choice sounds better.
He does constant AB tests, and he worries how time is affecting his gear, and the real
wear on
his system is due to so many changes. They don't just set it up and listen for 20
years.
They are always thinking it could be better.
Well sometimes their tweaking leads to a downgrading unless thay have two systems which
they
compare so to be able to leap frog the quality of one over the other.
That was the method I chose to build fine sounding speakers.

Patrick Turner.

Phil

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Punchline: The Aristocrats Punchline: The Aristocrats is offline

Default Phil Allison wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

(pile of sickening and INSANE verbal diarrhoea...
You are one schizophrenic, pseudo-scientific, lying, criminal PITA
****ing NUT CASE. Go drop dead.I like to experiment with SEPTIC ****!
preamp circuits in old clean tone amps by placing a 25uf/25v cap
across the cathode resistor of a preamp tube. In a 12AX7, the cathodes
are pins 3 and 8.SUCKMYWARTyCHEESEDICK!

If you look at the socket, those pins will go to a cathode resistor
whose value could range from 470 ohms to 4.7K.
YOU****SNIFFINGBABYHUMPER!!

If that ASININE YANK SCUMBAG! resistor does not have a bypass cap across
it, it's considered "unbypassed", and the tube will not supply full
gain. The HAIRY NIPPLED **** FACE! size of the cap will effect the
frequency response of the gain. A smaller cap will have more highs.
TEABAGGED INFANT FELCHING BALLSUCK!!! The most common caps measure 25uf
@ 25v. If an amp is too boomy-sounding (too much bass), try bypassing
the cathode resistor on the preamp tube with a 10uf, 5uf or even a 1uf.
IMPACTED PIG PENIS SUCKMONKEY!The smaller the value, the more it will
tame low-end response and accentuate high end. If there are multiple
gain stages, check to se whether the others are bypassed.
GREASE FARTING SKIDMARK LICKER!!! You could improve gain by 10db or more
merely COCKCHEESE GARGLER! by adding a couple of bypass caps! When
adding the cap, remember -its negative side always goes to ground, so
the positive TWISTED SMELLY SACK SUCKING CLAUDEL! always goes to the
tube's cathode. Electronically, this will put the cap directly across
the resistor.

Note: Information w/ substance from Gerald Weber: VG 1/06 pg. 108.
Article: From Dull to Full". mvm

One important caveat to the forgoing...ITCHY DICKPLUG SUCKWEASLE! The

phase inverter DUMB**** MUSO! tube shouldn't be included when adding bypass ******** GROPER FIST ****ASS!! caps to the circuit. As you know, this baby delivers signal to the output tubes and is PITA SEPTIC **** DISCHARGE!! usually closest to PILES OF ASININE CRAPOLOGY!! them. It's part of the design to have unbypassed cathode resistors here, so stay away from HOPE YOUR TINY BALLS ROT OFF!! adding one here YOU ANENCEPHALIC VERMIN CRACK!!