OT: Mr. Carlton's Lab

Old February 12th 18, 01:47 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Default OT: Mr. Carlton's Lab

Scott Dorsey wrote:

------------------

> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P4C9at5rV8
> >>
> >> Impressive videos!!

> >** Shame about those monoblock amps.
> >
> >Assuming the hand drawn schem is correct ( I expect it is ) the design
> > is by a lunatic.
> >
> >Choke input filter for the B+ using an undersized choke leaving too
> > much ripple voltage behind - ergo the hum.

> A lot of this stuff is being designed by people who don't really understand
> tube electronics but ALSO don't have access to the resources needed to learn
> to design them. So they copy existing designs and they add stuff to them
> and if they seem to kind of work they sell them. And then someone else
> copies their design and adds other stuff to it.

** Hmmm - you appear to be describing the whole history of Marshall Amplification.

> There is a shocking amount of gear like this on the Chinese market.
> Some of it is just plain unsafe.

** Heard of it - never been blessed with any on my bench.

Chinese made stuff bearing famous brand names is enough of a worry.

> >Half wave rectification of the heater supply for the 12AX7 ??

> Likely so they can use Shugang 12AX7 tubes that have massive heater-to-cathode
> leakage.

** For which the fix is to use pure, regulated DC.

..... Phil

Old February 13th 18, 04:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

By the way, it's Mr. CarlSon's Lab

I've seen a few maintenance and repair tips in his videos.