Mike Copeland

Default Carver TX-11

My Carver TX-11 will not hold the preset memories. Is there a battery in
there that needs to be replaced? Does anyone have a manual for this
tuner? I would like a copy of it please.
Mike

Harry Lavo

"Mike Copeland" wrote in message
. ..
My Carver TX-11 will not hold the preset memories. Is there a battery in
there that needs to be replaced? Does anyone have a manual for this
tuner? I would like a copy of it please.
Mike

Losing memory after a period of time turned off is normal. But it should
not happen right away. To quote the manual:

"Programmed stations remain stored in the memory system, even with the tuner
unplugged for up to three weeks." - p7

"If Station Presets can't be tuned and the TX-11 has been disconnected for
more than three weeks, the memory has been cleared and you'll have to
reprogram the tuner." - p16

Hope this helps.

Mike Copeland

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Mike Copeland" wrote in message
. ..

My Carver TX-11 will not hold the preset memories. Is there a battery in
there that needs to be replaced? Does anyone have a manual for this
tuner? I would like a copy of it please.
Mike

Losing memory after a period of time turned off is normal. But it should
not happen right away. To quote the manual:

"Programmed stations remain stored in the memory system, even with the tuner
unplugged for up to three weeks." - p7

"If Station Presets can't be tuned and the TX-11 has been disconnected for
more than three weeks, the memory has been cleared and you'll have to
reprogram the tuner." - p16

Hope this helps.

Huh? Are you saying it is normal to reprogram all the memories every 3
weeks? Even if the power has never been disconnected?
Mike

Mark D. Zacharias

Huh? Are you saying it is normal to reprogram all the memories every 3
weeks? Even if the power has never been disconnected?

It's quite possible, even likely, if the tuner is not turned on during that
time. Depends on how the power switch works, but consider this:

If the internal power is on all the time, then it couldn't lose the memory
at all, the only backup needed would be in the event of momentary power
glitches.

Mark Z.

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Mike Copeland

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Huh? Are you saying it is normal to reprogram all the memories every 3
weeks? Even if the power has never been disconnected?

It's quite possible, even likely, if the tuner is not turned on during that
time. Depends on how the power switch works, but consider this:

If the internal power is on all the time, then it couldn't lose the memory
at all, the only backup needed would be in the event of momentary power
glitches.

I hope this is not the case and there is a provision to keep the memory
powered independent of the power switch state.
Mike

Harry Lavo

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Huh? Are you saying it is normal to reprogram all the memories every 3
weeks? Even if the power has never been disconnected?

It's quite possible, even likely, if the tuner is not turned on during

that
time. Depends on how the power switch works, but consider this:

If the internal power is on all the time, then it couldn't lose the

memory
at all, the only backup needed would be in the event of momentary power
glitches.

I hope this is not the case and there is a provision to keep the memory
powered independent of the power switch state.
Mike

The pages I quoted from the manual are all Carver has to say on the subject.
Personally, I usually leave the tuner on (it is the equivalent of a 15watt
light bulb I believe), so in 20 years of using the TX-11 I've lost memory
exactly once.

I've never opened mine, but their is no external hatch for a battery, and
from the description it doesn't sound like a battery but rather some form of
trickle-charged memory.

I wouldn't have a go to pieces over it. It is one of the best sounding
tuners ever made. Enjoy!