OT: some music

Old May 16th 20, 06:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

Default some music

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

<snippage>

>** I have a *slight* connection with Zappa and the Mothers.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1kz7Bfudgc
>The young lady trumpeter you see in the this vid was my upstairs neighbour
>about 10 years ago. Her name is "Kendall Gretchen Cuneo" - hard to forget,
>right?
>I listened to her playing scales for an hour or so each day for years but
>had no idea she played in a Zappa tribute band. The band is called
>"Petulant Frenzy" and are still doing gigs around Sydney and >elsewhere.

>When I finally found out, I gave her a few Zappa LPs including Hot Rats,
>Weasels & Waka Jawaka - mainly for the wacky cover art.
>I went to see the band play live one evening too.
>Kendall makes her living playing and teaching trumpet.

Man, I love hearing stories like this. Looks like a fun band to play in.

I have an even "slighter" connection with FZ.
I did an experimental CD with a drummer back in the late 90s who auditioned
for Zappa and was about to get the gig before Frank couldn’t tour anymore
due to his health.

This drummer could play polyrhythms like it was quarter notes in 4/4 time.
Which is the reason why Frank liked his playing so much.

Poly

Old May 16th 20, 11:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

polymod wrote:

==============

> >** I have a *slight* connection with Zappa and the Mothers.
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1kz7Bfudgc
> >The young lady trumpeter you see in the this vid was my upstairs neighbour
> >about 10 years ago. Her name is "Kendall Gretchen Cuneo" - hard to forget,
> >right?
> >I listened to her playing scales for an hour or so each day for years but
> >had no idea she played in a Zappa tribute band. The band is called
> >"Petulant Frenzy" and are still doing gigs around Sydney and >elsewhere.

> >When I finally found out, I gave her a few Zappa LPs including Hot Rats,
> >Weasels & Waka Jawaka - mainly for the wacky cover art.
> >I went to see the band play live one evening too.
> >Kendall makes her living playing and teaching trumpet.

> Man, I love hearing stories like this. Looks like a fun band to play in.
>
> I have an even "slighter" connection with FZ.
> I did an experimental CD with a drummer back in the late 90s who auditioned
> for Zappa and was about to get the gig before Frank couldn’t tour anymore
> due to his health.
>
> This drummer could play polyrhythms like it was quarter notes in 4/4 time..
> Which is the reason why Frank liked his playing so much.

** As a side note, last time I chatted with Kendall (I live about 100 yards away now) she was concerned about correspondence the band received from a lawyer acting for Gail Zappa.

Dweezil Zappa and his band were about to tour Australia and as Gail owns the rights to Frank's music, "Petulant Frenzy" were apparently breaching copyright.

I figured it was basically a bluff but she was worried.

I note that Dweezil and band were due to tour Australia again last month- but that of course has been called off.

It's an ill wind....

..... Phil