Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

Default Micing a harp

In about 6 weeks, I need to record a performance that includes a pedal
harp. I've never had to mic such an instrument before so I'd like some
opinions on the best way to tackle it.

To provide some background: The harp will be part of a 28 piece
orchestra that is accompanying a 90 member choir plus various soloists.
The musicians are in the corner of the hall. Due to the acoustics of
the hall and layout of the stage area, the string section (violins,
viola, cello, harp) need to be at the back of the orchestra. The
spacing between the musicians is tight (think orchestra pit).

I think a contact mic on the sound board would be a good approach due to
the proximity of other musicians, but I don't know which type would be
suitable. I can usually source most microphones from a local hire
company, so purchase cost is not an issue since we won't be buying.

Experience from anyone who's done this before would be appreciated.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.

FA: Two Vintage Microphone Adapters For Ham Radio Or Blues Harp - LAST DAY! Paul Sherman Marketplace 0 March 20th 05 01:33 PM
FA: Astatic JT-40 JT40? Blues Harp Or Ham Radio Microphone - LAST DAY! Paul Sherman Marketplace 0 March 20th 05 01:28 PM
FA: Astatic JT-40 JT40? Blues Harp Or Ham Radio Microphone Paul Sherman Marketplace 0 March 16th 05 01:07 PM
harp mic impedance m0nty Pro Audio 33 February 17th 05 10:51 PM
Any tips on recording a Kora (african stringed harp)? George Pro Audio 2 August 12th 04 02:30 PM