Mark D. Zacharias

Default Question on Santa Cruz

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
: Once again, I need about a 35 feet digital audio connection from my
computer
: to the main stereo.
: The system connections would go something like this:
:
: TB analog input to the rec out of the preamp. TB analog output it tape
input
: of preamp. This allows normal record/play of analog sources from the
preamp
: to the computer, and monitoring of same there at the computer.
:
: At the same time, I need a digital connection for when I wish to make the
: sound card output available to the main stereo, approximately 35 feet away
: (as the cable runs, so to speak).

I have been running Spdif out of an M-Audio 2496 usb to a theta probasic

IIIA converter via
the 30' AUDIO cable that came with a Paradigm x30 subwoofer crossover for

about a year with no
problem at all. I also used the same type cable to run the output of a SBL

livedrive (now in
the attic) to the same probasic IIIa as well as the output from my Fostex

VF16 which is
converted to coax with a 15 dollar toslink to coax converter with no

problems. I also used the
same cable to go from the Theta SPDIF out and back into the fostex and

SBL.
Try it and report.

Phil Abbate

I did buy the Santa Cruz - and just hooked up a SPDIF cable yesterday.
It is 36 feet long, appears to be of the lower-capacitance "video" cable
type. I had to cut one end off and solder on a 1/8" stereo plug for the
Santa Cruz digital side.

Seems to work fine - I was happy to see that the Winamp, etc volume control
still works.

I had already downloaded and read the TB manual, so I wasn't surprised that
analog inputs to the sound card are NOT output via the SPDIF. I would have
thought that since the card has to A/D the analog signal anyway to record a
WAV, that it would be no problem to route the converted signal out the SPDIF
jack. I guess there's probably a good reason why it can't do this, but if
anyone can enlighten me....

Mark Z.

Santa Cruz Mark D. Zacharias Tech 1 July 11th 04 01:28 PM
Question on Santa Cruz sound card Mark D. Zacharias Tech 94 July 10th 04 07:45 AM