Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Default M-Audio and Virtual Audio Cable

Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio Cable to convert
surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to get an analog 4
channel output. Feed this into the 4 inputs, sample at 24/96 and use
Virtual Cable to route one pair of signals to the M-Audio spdif o/p, and
the other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

Any opinions?
Anyone try anything like this?
I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio Cable to convert
surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to get an
analog 4 channel output. Feed this into the 4 inputs, sample at 24/96
and use Virtual Cable to route one pair of signals to the M-Audio
spdif o/p, and the other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

Any opinions?
Anyone try anything like this?
I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

Would help to explain what you are trying to acheive and why. Are you
trying to monitor on SPDIF powered spekers, or make an SPDIF security copy
recording while recording into a DAW, or something ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

On 04/03/2010 02:07, geoff wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio Cable to convert
surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to get an
analog 4 channel output. Feed this into the 4 inputs, sample at 24/96
and use Virtual Cable to route one pair of signals to the M-Audio
spdif o/p, and the other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

Any opinions?
Anyone try anything like this?
I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

Would help to explain what you are trying to acheive and why. Are you
trying to monitor on SPDIF powered spekers, or make an SPDIF security copy
recording while recording into a DAW, or something ?

geoff

I want to encode both front and rear speakers digitally with PCM.
In other words, to decode ac3/dts and pump it out as PCM streams to
active speakers that accept PCM input.

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
[...]

Maybe the Audiophile 192 is a better bet?
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multim...ophile192.html

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
[...]

In realtime presumably ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
[...]

Yes.
What I really want is ac3/dts and whatever (BluRay), decoded into PCM
channels.
Free of all restrictions.
But nobody does that in a card, and I strongly suspect that the licenses
for those technologies specifically preclude doing so.

So I'm looking for some good DAC/ADC combo to do it for me.

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

On 04/03/2010 03:36, Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Dirk Bruere at wrote in message
Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio Cable to convert
surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to get an analog 4
channel output. Feed this into the 4 inputs, sample at 24/96 and use
Virtual Cable to route one pair of signals to the M-Audio spdif o/p, and
the other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

Any opinions?
Anyone try anything like this?
I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

--
Dirk

Dirk, this seems to be roundabout. It should not require an A/D-D/A; it
should stay all digital. Take a look at
http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter .

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

That might work.
However, I have BluRay to contend with as well (with PowerDVD as the PC
s/w).
This is a bolt-on to an existing multimedia system so I have a number of
constraints. One of them being PowerDVD, but the other being ZoomPlayer
for the DVD rips.

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in
message

Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio
Cable to convert surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to
get an analog 4 channel output.

There are only 2 analog outputs on that card. I know, I have one! I also
have every other interface I mention in this post.

Feed this into the 4 inputs,

There are only analog 2 inputs on that card.

sample at 24/96 and use Virtual Cable to route
one pair of signals to the M-Audio spdif o/p, and the
other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

That can work, giving a total of 4 outputs on SP/DIF.

Any opinions?

I'd get a Delta 1010LT, and do the job and have some channels in reserve.
All for not much more than the cost of M-Audio's legacy 4-channel card, the
Deltat 66.

I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

The anlog I/O on a Delta 2496 won't go there, either. A Delta 1010LT will
get you pretty close.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

On 04/03/2010 12:33, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Dirk Bruere at wrote in
message

[...]

I'm tending towards high end M-Audio simply because stuff from
Auzentech, while very good, does not seem to have a long shelf life.
Last time we chose X-Meridian, now it's no longer on sale, which means
problems with support to existing customers.

--
Dirk