Mr. D

Default Connecting RCA cables

When installing an amp, I read that the RCA patch cables should be
connected after the amp has been grounded and the positive wire of the
battery terminal is connected to the battery to prevent damage to the
amp's preamps.

OK, that makes sense. But what if I need to disconnect the battery
terminals to do some electrical work? Do I need to disconnect the patch
cables from the amp every time I disconnect the battery terminals and
reconnect them once I have reconnected the battery terminals?

Tony F

I've never heard anything like that before & I've never bothered
disconnecting the RCA cables as you describe. I've never blown an amp
before either.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

"Mr. D" wrote in message
oups.com...
When installing an amp, I read that the RCA patch cables should be
connected after the amp has been grounded and the positive wire of the
battery terminal is connected to the battery to prevent damage to the
amp's preamps.

OK, that makes sense. But what if I need to disconnect the battery
terminals to do some electrical work? Do I need to disconnect the patch
cables from the amp every time I disconnect the battery terminals and
reconnect them once I have reconnected the battery terminals?

sq4u sq4u is offline
Junior Member

Nah, theres no harm there, I'd say or at least I never "worried" over the rca's being plugged in while I messed with power or ground on my amps. And, I never bothered either to disconnect positive on the battery to remove my amps and such, just disconnected it from the amp. although, I tend to disconnect power first, from the AMP and put some electrical tape on the end so it doesnt ground out and spark when im movin stuff around back there.....then remove ground.

Last edited by sq4u : April 13th 05 at 02:26 PM
MZ

I've never heard anything like that before & I've never bothered
disconnecting the RCA cables as you describe. I've never blown an amp
before either.

It's done to prevent the signal ground from becoming the ground for the amp
when the "real" ground is removed. So yeah, when you're removing your amp,
unplug the RCAs or the 12v power lead before the ground.

Tony F

"It's done to prevent the signal ground from becoming the ground for the amp
when the "real" ground is removed. So yeah, when you're removing your amp,
unplug the RCAs or the 12v power lead before the ground."

I was refering to the 2nd part of his post about having to disconnect the
RCA cables each and every time he disconnected the negative battery
terminal. Just wanted to clarify in case I misspoke.

Tony