Steve

Default Class A/B watts vs Class D watts?

Hello,

I just switched the amp on my subwoofer and was quite surprised at the
results. I had a Lanzar OptiDrive 500 w/ch stereo amp ( one of the old
original ones ) bridged to mono. I am driving a single 4ohm JL Audio 12W0.
I switched to a JL Audio 250/1 today. The bass is stronger, deeper, and
cleaner with the 250/1. My gains are equal or slightly lower on the 250/1
than where they were set on the OptiDrive as well.

This leads me to question whether class A/B watts are somehow less
meaningful than class D watts for a subwoofer application. I was also
surprised at the quality of the bass. I always believed that Class A
amplification provided the best quality sound and Class A/B slightly lower
quality sound. I thought that Class D may have been unaccepatable in sound
quality. Man was I wrong.

Can anyone provide an explanation for the bass performance with less power?

Thank you,
Steve.

MZ

[...]

What you've witnessed here is a disparity between power ratings and *real
world* power output.

Kevin McMurtrie

"Steve" wrote:

[...]

It's normal for car audio equipment to grossly overstate or outright lie
about power ratings. "Peak output power" is a common claim, which is a
clipped pulse output reaching 2x to 4x the continuous power. I've seen
"peak-to-peak output power," which is a nonsense rating 4x to 12x of the
continuous RMS output. (The term peak-to-peak applies to voltage
deltas, not signal power.) Still another cheating trick, which Kenwood
always uses on their home equipment, is to measure channels one at a
time so that the power supply does not droop (or blow a fuse).

So now you can see that the "500W x 2" amp that you were using could
have really been one of those dime-a-dozen 65W RMS x 2 amps.

Class D is more efficient so it doesn't consume as much power and
produce as much heat. Class D also has a lower quality/price ratio at
higher frequencies. That's why Class D is common for subwoofer amps but
a bit pricey for quality full range amps.