JohnnyD

well here it is ....

the avic n1 does not have a gyro, however if you hook up the parking
brake wire correctly it will not play while moving (easy bypass
though)

the gps navigation will work while driving .... thats the whole purpose
of it

it just says be careful and that pioneer is not liable ... makes you
hit ok on the screen

the n2 will still play a dvd movie or whatever ... it just says picture
will not show while driving, the screen will still flip out and the
outputs will still show on another screen

--
JohnnyD
JohnnyD's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=15288

Default AVIC-N1: DVD disabled while car is in motion?

Hi, I really need some help with this - I'm getting ready in the next 2
weeks to buy myself an AVIC-N1 unit. I know the N2's DVD playback is
disabled while the car is in motion. As a result, the GPS from DVD as
well as MP3 DVD playback (using an MP3 conversion program) is also
disabled.

I have seen on some websites that the AVIC-N1 has that same feature
disabled. But, some guy from Best Buy told me the N1 COULD utilize the
DVD function while the car is in motion. But when I emailed Pioneer to
ask, and they told me simply that the DVD function is disabled when
driving.

So the way I see it is that either the guy at Best Buy was wrong, or
AVIC-N1 units manufactured after a certain date had the DVD function
disabled while the car is moving.

Being that I want the DVD player to always work, I would appreciate any
clarification on this!! If someone could give me lowdown, I'd be
eternally grateful.

Thank you!!

Mister.Lull

I've just been doing some reading online about this and I think that I
have the answer. The N1 is the one that CAN play things while in
motion. The N2 is the one that CAN NOT play things due to a gyro
sensor detecting motion. At least that's what I read on a couple of
pages... I did a Google search with AVIC-N1 and the word Modify
(because I was thinking that you might have to look up how to modify
the unit to not shut off during movement). Have a look around and see
if that's right...

Mister.Lull

Just don't watch movies while driving. Some jerk almost t boned me when
he was watching a movie on his dash.

Mister.Lull

I think he just wants to listen to mp3's and whatnot while driving
through that unit...

Mister.Lull

Hi, thanks for the responses...yeah, I just want to use the unit for
DVD MP3 playback, as well as potentially reading the GPS DVDs while
driving.

I just received a reply from a vendor today who also confirmed the they
were selling N1 could not play DVDs while the car was in
motion...strange....I just wrote to another vendor, we'll see what they
have to say. Does anyone have any personal info on this?

Thanks!!

Can you hook up an addition monitor to that unit? If so, how would
someone in the back say, watch anything if the unit won't play while in
motion?

Ohhhh, ok. So for my purposes - the MP3 DVD playing - it will still
work. I thought it wouldn't play at all. But, just as important, is
accessing the map DVDs - if I change my route, I assume that the system
will still read the map DVDs in the unit while the car is in motion?

Also, how does it work with external DVD decks that I connect to the
AVIC? If I have an external 5 CD (DVD?) changer, and I have my map DVD
in the AVIC unit, and MP3 CDs in the external unit, can it access /
play both a map DVD and MP3 CD at the same time without on interrupting
the other?

Thanks very much for the help so far!!

Ohhhh, ok. So for my purposes - the MP3 DVD playing - it will still
work. I thought it wouldn't play at all. But, just as important, is
accessing the map DVDs - if I change my route, I assume that the system
will still read the map DVDs in the unit while the car is in motion?

Also, how does it work with external DVD decks that I connect to the
AVIC? If I have an external 5 CD (DVD?) changer, and I have my map DVD
in the AVIC unit, and MP3 CDs in the external unit, can it access /
play both a map DVD and MP3 CD at the same time without one
interrupting the other?

Thanks very much for the help so far!!

electron pimp

This is directly from Pioneer...

The N1 and the N2 are the exact same unit.

The N2 has some new software that shutsa the video off when the gyro detects
the vehicle in motion.

The N1 does not have this. It is built into the nav software. Ground out the
parking brake wire and you are good to go.

And BTW, Pioneer will never tell you that you can have video while the car
is in motion.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"JohnnyD" wrote in message
news:1112991587.417340100354b5474f5ca299658e0f3d@t eranews...

well here it is ....

the avic n1 does not have a gyro, however if you hook up the parking
brake wire correctly it will not play while moving (easy bypass
though)

the gps navigation will work while driving .... thats the whole purpose
of it

it just says be careful and that pioneer is not liable ... makes you
hit ok on the screen

the n2 will still play a dvd movie or whatever ... it just says picture
will not show while driving, the screen will still flip out and the
outputs will still show on another screen

--
JohnnyD
JohnnyD's Profile:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=15288
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=215234

So how do you know that you're not buying an N1 that has the new
software installed in it? Would it have to be marked as refurbished or
reconditioned? Or is there date prior to which it is going to have the
old software?

Thanks.

"JohnnyD" wrote in message
[...]

electron pimp

The N1 ans N2 are the same. They are both the same hardware. The N2 has
updated software.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
oups.com...

"JohnnyD" wrote in message
[...]

sq4u sq4u is offline
Junior Member

Ya know if youre REALLY cool......I mean super duper cool. You can hook up a REVERSE camera to it too! check that out whooo00 ! can you see me now?? good. grasshopper says: "the parking brake holds the key"
Rich

I have had an AVIC-N1 for about 5 months. I had Best Buy install it
and asked them up front to disable the parking brake interlock. They
said I might have to sign a release with the manager but they never
did have me sign anything. The unit thinks my parking brake is on all
the time. I have a large collection of music DVDs and play them on
trips, watching at stop lights and when stuck in non-moving traffic.
My front seat passengers enjoy it immensely. I use CNDV-40MT vers.
1.2 software. I want to upgrade to NavTraffic, but need newer software
that is said to disable DVD during driving based on the gyro or
whatever versus the parking brake.

Rich

On 8 Apr 2005 10:43:54 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. If you buy the newest GPS DVDs for the most
up-to-date map software, by using those GPS DVDs will it automatically
update the unit's firmware and then prevent you from using the DVD
video function while driving, making the unit just like the N2?

And, even though the uit is registered in "park" the whole time, all
the other vehicle stats functions work - whatever they are - right?
(like the banking, vehicle stats, etc)

Thanks!!