Burnt

Default Big Ford recall - catches fire even with ignition off !

In January Ford issued a recall of 800,000 vehicles. But I just heard
from a guy whose car (a 2000 Navigator) caught fire in his driveway a
few days ago. He hadn't heard about the recall. That is why I am
mentioning it here.

If you have a Ford with cruise control, it could catch fire. The fires
originate in the electrical system, and can occur even when the ignition
is OFF. Many fires have occurred with the car parked at home in the
garage, and some of those have destroyed the whole house. Have a look
at http://www.flamingfords.info

Be careful.

Burnt
MZ

In January Ford issued a recall of 800,000 vehicles. But I just heard
from a guy whose car (a 2000 Navigator) caught fire in his driveway a
few days ago. He hadn't heard about the recall. That is why I am
mentioning it here.

If you have a Ford with cruise control, it could catch fire. The fires
originate in the electrical system, and can occur even when the ignition
is OFF. Many fires have occurred with the car parked at home in the
garage, and some of those have destroyed the whole house. Have a look
at http://www.flamingfords.info

Be careful.

Before the recall was issued, I wonder how many people were screwed on their
warranty service because the dealer blamed it on aftermarket electronics
that the owner may have had installed?

Bruce Chang

"Burnt" wrote in message
nk.net...
In January Ford issued a recall of 800,000 vehicles. But I just heard
from a guy whose car (a 2000 Navigator) caught fire in his driveway a few
days ago. He hadn't heard about the recall. That is why I am mentioning
it here.

If you have a Ford with cruise control, it could catch fire. The fires
originate in the electrical system, and can occur even when the ignition
is OFF. Many fires have occurred with the car parked at home in the
garage, and some of those have destroyed the whole house. Have a look at
http://www.flamingfords.info

Be careful.

Burnt

The 2000 Navigator wasn't involved in the recall..

Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
In January Ford issued a recall of 800,000 vehicles. But I just heard
from a guy whose car (a 2000 Navigator) caught fire in his driveway a
few days ago. He hadn't heard about the recall. That is why I am
mentioning it here.

If you have a Ford with cruise control, it could catch fire. The fires
originate in the electrical system, and can occur even when the ignition
is OFF. Many fires have occurred with the car parked at home in the
garage, and some of those have destroyed the whole house. Have a look
at http://www.flamingfords.info

Be careful.

Before the recall was issued, I wonder how many people were screwed on
their
warranty service because the dealer blamed it on aftermarket electronics
that the owner may have had installed?

How did that end up working out Mark? Hopefully you came out OK.

Chad

MZ

Before the recall was issued, I wonder how many people were screwed on
their
warranty service because the dealer blamed it on aftermarket electronics
that the owner may have had installed?

How did that end up working out Mark? Hopefully you came out OK.

Well, all I know is that I now have the car (over 3 months later) and that I
did not pay for the work. If they want to take me to court, let them. I'll
expose their fraudulent actions there. Turns out they neglected to send in
the $50 to transfer the warranty when I bought the car (they never provided
me a copy of the warranty until just a few weeks ago, so it wasn't my
responsibility), so they were trying to put the warranty stuff through under
the previous owner's name. That's a no-no.

Anyway, when I got the invoice written up by that car stereo shop (if
anyone's looking for a shop in SE Mass, and they want to know where NOT to
go, shoot me an email), it all made sense to me. They didn't even know what
the problem was! All they knew was that the battery was draining overnight.
They didn't realize that the interior lights were flashing on and off (how
could they not have noticed this?), because they tore the car apart looking
for excessive current draws. So, they have written down that the amplifiers
were drawing a few amps each when off - they couldn't have been turned on by
the remote wire, since the remote wire was triggered by the computer which
was actually removed from the car at that point. When I pulled the amps out
to test them, they were drawing practically nothing each when off, and just
under 1A each when on but idle. So I can't possibly see how they were "each
drawing a few amps" unless each of the wires coming from the distro block
had created a resistive short. Yeah, right.

The only thing I can think of is that they were somehow measuring the peak
current of the draw, when the capacitors are charging when you first hook it
to power. But the other lies those jokers told were enough to tell us
exactly how incompetent they really were.

Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

Geez!

Glad you have your car back, sorry to hear of the hassle. Did anybody think
to pull fuses one---at---a---time and narrow it down? 3 months ago it was
still getting dark quite early, they shopuld have seen it blinking before
they closed up shop eh?

What was the drain problem after all? Why the blinking int. lights?

Chad

MZ

Geez!

Glad you have your car back, sorry to hear of the hassle. Did anybody

think
to pull fuses one---at---a---time and narrow it down? 3 months ago it was
still getting dark quite early, they shopuld have seen it blinking before
they closed up shop eh?

What was the drain problem after all? Why the blinking int. lights?

"Rear interior module". The last shop it was taken to diagnosed the problem
in a few hours.

Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
news
Geez!

Glad you have your car back, sorry to hear of the hassle. Did anybody

think
to pull fuses one---at---a---time and narrow it down? 3 months ago it
was
still getting dark quite early, they shopuld have seen it blinking before
they closed up shop eh?

What was the drain problem after all? Why the blinking int. lights?

"Rear interior module". The last shop it was taken to diagnosed the
problem
in a few hours.

****, I would still have a bruise on my forehead from beating it against a
wall. Truly sorry 'bout your luck, nothing like making payments on
something you don't have, went thru that with the last vehicle after it
spent 2 months in a body shop because their monkeys weren't properly trained
to paint (the right parts).

Best

Chad

Mac Cool

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callSearch.cfm

--
Mac Cool
burnt

Bruce Chang wrote:

"Burnt" wrote in message
ink.net...

In January Ford issued a recall of 800,000 vehicles. But I just heard
from a guy whose car (a 2000 Navigator) caught fire in his driveway a few
days ago. He hadn't heard about the recall. That is why I am mentioning
it here.

If you have a Ford with cruise control, it could catch fire. The fires
originate in the electrical system, and can occur even when the ignition
is OFF. Many fires have occurred with the car parked at home in the
garage, and some of those have destroyed the whole house. Have a look at
http://www.flamingfords.info

Be careful.

Burnt

The 2000 Navigator wasn't involved in the recall..

The CNN news report says it was. Don't know if he got notified,
though. Might have bought it used.

Burnt