Posted to rec.audio.tech
Derrick Fawsitt Derrick Fawsitt is offline

Default Audio Blank disks required UK

Where can I get audio blank disks in the UK for a reasonable price?
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Where can I get audio blank disks in the UK for a reasonable price?

CD Audio or acetate ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Derrick Fawsitt Derrick Fawsitt is offline

In message , Eeyore
writes

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Where can I get audio blank disks in the UK for a reasonable price?

CD Audio or acetate ?

Graham

Not enough knowledge Graham to answer that, all I can tell you is that I
have bought a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 Recorder which only accepts "Audio"
disks. I find it a wonderful machine for recording music from all
sources and it holds up to four hundred disks at any one time having a
160 gigabyte hard drive. The only problem is it won't accept any CDR
blanks other than Audio. If you insert anything else it says it is not
an Audio disk, does that help to answer your question?
All my thanks,
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
In message , Eeyore
writes

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Where can I get audio blank disks in the UK for a reasonable price?

CD Audio or acetate ?

Graham

Not enough knowledge Graham to answer that, all I can tell you is
that I have bought a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 Recorder which only accepts
"Audio" disks. I find it a wonderful machine for recording music from
all sources and it holds up to four hundred disks at any one time
having a 160 gigabyte hard drive. The only problem is it won't accept
any CDR blanks other than Audio. If you insert anything else it says
it is not an Audio disk, does that help to answer your question?
All my thanks,

So it is 'Audio' CD-Rs you want then - not acetate discs for cutting LPs.

Any HiFi or general electronics store should sell 'Audio' CD-Rs. Maybe
there is a firmware hack out there somewhere to remove that constraint ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Derrick Fawsitt Derrick Fawsitt is offline

In message , Geoff
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
In message , Eeyore
writes

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

[...]

Now you are talking Geoff, if only I could get my machine to accept good
quality CDR's. In fact I was sold what were supposed to be Audio disks
in error, (but were not), and when I inserted them in my Yamaha it did
spit them out, it only said they were not Audio and set itself to 0. I
wonder if I had gone ahead and tried to burn a recording on to them? Any
expert advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
As to buying them, I must ask you if you are in the UK and have tried
recently, I cannot get them anywhere at a reasonable price. Yes, they
are sold in some stores in small numbers at exorbitant prices and I am
not going to go along with those stores.

Regards,
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Now you are talking Geoff, if only I could get my machine to accept
good quality CDR's. In fact I was sold what were supposed to be Audio
disks in error, (but were not), and when I inserted them in my Yamaha
it did spit them out, it only said they were not Audio and set itself
to 0. I wonder if I had gone ahead and tried to burn a recording on
to them? Any expert advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
As to buying them, I must ask you if you are in the UK and have tried
recently, I cannot get them anywhere at a reasonable price. Yes, they
are sold in some stores in small numbers at exorbitant prices and I am
not going to go along with those stores.

No, I am in New Zealand, a tiny insignificant little pair of islands on the
other side of the world ! If you can get them here, then the UK shouldn't be
a problem ....

The exhorbitant prices are because:
1 - There is a 'copyright' surcharge (yes, this is totally nonsensical, we
know....)
2 - The market for these disc is smaller.

So basically you are stuck, unless you can hack the player to accept normal
CD-Rs.

The type, cost, and availability of media is homework that should have been
done prior to your investment.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Geoff wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
In message , Eeyore
writes

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Where can I get audio blank disks in the UK for a reasonable price?

CD Audio or acetate ?

Graham

Not enough knowledge Graham to answer that, all I can tell you is
that I have bought a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 Recorder which only accepts
"Audio" disks. I find it a wonderful machine for recording music from
all sources and it holds up to four hundred disks at any one time
having a 160 gigabyte hard drive. The only problem is it won't accept
any CDR blanks other than Audio. If you insert anything else it says
it is not an Audio disk, does that help to answer your question?
All my thanks,

So it is 'Audio' CD-Rs you want then - not acetate discs for cutting LPs.

Any HiFi or general electronics store should sell 'Audio' CD-Rs. Maybe
there is a firmware hack out there somewhere to remove that constraint ?

I'd have thought it *ought* to be possible but have no idea.

In the meantime..............
http://search.ebay.co.uk/blank-audio...Z1QQsofocusZbs

Graahm

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Where can I get audio blank disks in the UK for a reasonable price?

If you simply want to copy a CD you can do that using ordinary CD-Rs with your
PC btw.

Graham