Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] devm01@gmail.com is offline

Default Single component surround sound - panasonic?

I read somewhere about a single component surround sound system that
used multiple speakers on the front of the device and some smart
electonics, to simulate having multiple speakers around the room. Has
anyone heard of this and/or tried it?

I have a rented condo and it's hard to run wires... the multi
speaker/single component device seemed just the answer.

Dev

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Murray Peterson Murray Peterson is offline

wrote in news:1153368954.961415.78310@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I read somewhere about a single component surround sound system that
used multiple speakers on the front of the device and some smart
electonics, to simulate having multiple speakers around the room. Has
anyone heard of this and/or tried it?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_ysp1000.htm

If you have something close to a rectangular room, it works surprisingly
well. Google for some reviews.

--
Murray Peterson

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Murray Peterson wrote:
wrote in news:1153368954.961415.78310@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I read somewhere about a single component surround sound system that
used multiple speakers on the front of the device and some smart
electonics, to simulate having multiple speakers around the room.
Has anyone heard of this and/or tried it?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_ysp1000.htm

If you have something close to a rectangular room, it works
surprisingly well. Google for some reviews.

Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Speaker.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/

Be sure to buy only from an authorized dealer if a warranty is important to
you.

Mark Z.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. com...
Murray Peterson wrote:
wrote in news:1153368954.961415.78310@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I read somewhere about a single component surround sound system that
used multiple speakers on the front of the device and some smart
electonics, to simulate having multiple speakers around the room.
Has anyone heard of this and/or tried it?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_ysp1000.htm

If you have something close to a rectangular room, it works
surprisingly well. Google for some reviews.

Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Speaker.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/

Be sure to buy only from an authorized dealer if a warranty is important
to you.

Mark Z.

Several people have these out now. I don't remember all the names, but one
is Polk.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:49:16 -0400, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

Several people have these out now. I don't remember all the names, but one
is Polk.

They differ as the Yamaha adjusts its response to the room in order to
simulate a full surround while the Polk simply bounces the surround
channels off to the side while aiming the L/C/R ahead. That is not a
comment on sound quality but on design goals. A listing of these
types of speakers can be found at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=YSP
and discussions at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=10246665

And, btw, Harry, stop recommending Empire turntables; it only drives
the market. ;-)

Kal

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann Barry Mann is offline

In , on 07/20/06
at 02:49 PM, "Harry Lavo" said:

[ ... ]

Several people have these out now. I don't remember all the names,
but one is Polk.

I didn't think that the Polk unit was effective, the Yamaha units
actually work.

The Yamaha units work best if the side walls are relatively plain.
Bookcases along the side walls, for example, are not optimal.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)