Posted to rec.audio.tech
Brad Brad is offline

Default Combine 2 Audio Sources

Hello, I run a videography business and wonder if its possible to
combine 2 different audio sources in one ear piece. I have a 1-ear
piece (over ear) with an in-line mic for my radios that I use to
communicate with the other videographers. I would also like to monitor
camera audio in that same 1-unit ear piece. Ideally, when someone
would talk on the intercom radio, the earpiece would switch to that
audio otherwise default to the camera audio from the headset jack. Do
you know if there is a device I could buy to do that? Or what it might
be called? My searches on the Internet have come up blank. Thanks

-Brad Bonczkiewicz

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Brad wrote:
Hello, I run a videography business and wonder if its possible to
combine 2 different audio sources in one ear piece. I have a 1-ear
piece (over ear) with an in-line mic for my radios that I use to
communicate with the other videographers. I would also like to
monitor camera audio in that same 1-unit ear piece. Ideally, when
someone would talk on the intercom radio, the earpiece would switch
to that audio otherwise default to the camera audio from the headset
jack. Do you know if there is a device I could buy to do that? Or
what it might be called? My searches on the Internet have come up
blank. Thanks

-Brad Bonczkiewicz

its called a mixer (or in england a "desk")

mixers are normally actave (amplified) but can be passave.

a low cost DJ type mixer with "talkover" feature should meet your needs...
unless you need all wireless. then a small VOX circuit (voice activated
switch) would be needed.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael R. Kesti Michael R. Kesti is offline

Brad wrote:

Hello, I run a videography business and wonder if its possible to
combine 2 different audio sources in one ear piece. I have a 1-ear
piece (over ear) with an in-line mic for my radios that I use to
communicate with the other videographers. I would also like to monitor
camera audio in that same 1-unit ear piece. Ideally, when someone
would talk on the intercom radio, the earpiece would switch to that
audio otherwise default to the camera audio from the headset jack. Do
you know if there is a device I could buy to do that? Or what it might
be called? My searches on the Internet have come up blank. Thanks

What you seek is called an interruptable foldback (IFB).

| two, one and one make one."
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Brad wrote:

Hello, I run a videography business and wonder if its possible to
combine 2 different audio sources in one ear piece. I have a 1-ear
piece (over ear) with an in-line mic for my radios that I use to
communicate with the other videographers. I would also like to monitor
camera audio in that same 1-unit ear piece. Ideally, when someone
would talk on the intercom radio, the earpiece would switch to that
audio otherwise default to the camera audio from the headset jack. Do
you know if there is a device I could buy to do that? Or what it might
be called? My searches on the Internet have come up blank. Thanks

Sounds like you want one of these:

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=24

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Brad wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad to now know the term
"interruptible foldback"! You are right that the IFB is what I am
looking for, but on a less-expensive scale working with our Motorola
radios. A mixer would work as well, but be too cumbersome to carry
while working with a camcorder. I guess I'm hoping for something that
would look/act similar to a "Y" adapter but have the necessary
circuitry to automatically cut to intercom audio when it detects a
signal otherwise staying on camera audio for my monitoring.

Any thoughts? Thanks again

The RDL unit is about the size of a thick business card. Mount it in or
on a box with XLR jacks. Include a battery holder if you want it to be
portable. The whole thing could go in your shirt pocket.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=24

//Walt
//
//no, I don't work for RDL.