Posted to rec.audio.tech
dennis

Default Idiot needs help replacing diodes Sansui 9090

I have never soldered electrical components, that I can remember. I
have a Sansui 9090 that I was told has 4 diodes that sometimes go bad,
and since I have no switched power, one may be bad. First, does this
sound right? Second, would it be a good idea for me to clean the dust
off my cheap soldering iron and try to replace them? Or test them all
first? Can I hope to find replacements? What area of the unit should
I look for them in, have not studied this thing yet.
Help is appreciated. Dennis

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis

"dennis" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have never soldered electrical components, that I can remember. I
have a Sansui 9090 that I was told has 4 diodes that sometimes go bad,
and since I have no switched power, one may be bad. First, does this
sound right? Second, would it be a good idea for me to clean the dust
off my cheap soldering iron and try to replace them? Or test them all
first? Can I hope to find replacements? What area of the unit should
I look for them in, have not studied this thing yet.
Help is appreciated. Dennis

No. If you have no idea how to solder you will make a right mess and
possibly destroy the PCB. At best you will get a dry joint.

Do some Googling on soldering techniques, then practice on an old radio or
something.

Then Google some more on power supplies.

Then get a multimeter and measure your amps power supply.

Then maybe put all your new found knowledge to good use.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA

From the way you are asking, you have more of a chance to do more damage
than good. Why not take the amp to a service centre and have the job done
right?

Have you checked the diodes to know if they are in fact defective?

If they are defective, have you determined the cause?

--

JANA
_____

"dennis" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have never soldered electrical components, that I can remember. I
have a Sansui 9090 that I was told has 4 diodes that sometimes go bad,
and since I have no switched power, one may be bad. First, does this
sound right? Second, would it be a good idea for me to clean the dust
off my cheap soldering iron and try to replace them? Or test them all
first? Can I hope to find replacements? What area of the unit should
I look for them in, have not studied this thing yet.
Help is appreciated. Dennis

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

"dennis" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have never soldered electrical components, that I can remember. I
have a Sansui 9090 that I was told has 4 diodes that sometimes go bad,
and since I have no switched power, one may be bad. First, does this
sound right? Second, would it be a good idea for me to clean the dust
off my cheap soldering iron and try to replace them? Or test them all
first? Can I hope to find replacements? What area of the unit should
I look for them in, have not studied this thing yet.
Help is appreciated. Dennis

Dennis, i recommend that every time you get the urge to delve into this you
have a few beers and a couple of shots. it wont make the problem go away but
you may forget about it for a while.

this is that same advise if give you had you asked "how should i go about
defusing a land mine?"

you simply do not have the training to proceed safely.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chuck

On 3 Mar 2006 07:49:09 -0800, "dennis" wrote:

I have never soldered electrical components, that I can remember. I
have a Sansui 9090 that I was told has 4 diodes that sometimes go bad,
and since I have no switched power, one may be bad. First, does this
sound right? Second, would it be a good idea for me to clean the dust
off my cheap soldering iron and try to replace them? Or test them all
first? Can I hope to find replacements? What area of the unit should
I look for them in, have not studied this thing yet.
Help is appreciated. Dennis

The 9090 wasn't known for defective power supply diodes but it had a
major problem of 2 1 ohm resistors opening up causing a dead receiver.
Chuck

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , Chuck wrote:
On 3 Mar 2006 07:49:09 -0800, "dennis" wrote:

I have never soldered electrical components, that I can remember. I
have a Sansui 9090 that I was told has 4 diodes that sometimes go bad,
and since I have no switched power, one may be bad. First, does this
sound right? Second, would it be a good idea for me to clean the dust
off my cheap soldering iron and try to replace them? Or test them all
first? Can I hope to find replacements? What area of the unit should
I look for them in, have not studied this thing yet.
Help is appreciated. Dennis

The 9090 wasn't known for defective power supply diodes but it had a
major problem of 2 1 ohm resistors opening up causing a dead receiver.
Chuck

I guess the idea is to check most everything on the front end of the power supply.
Check first, instead of, replace all first. Description abouve sounds like a turn on delay
using some resistors.

greg

Ground Fault kills Church Pastor Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 195 November 8th 05 07:18 PM
Sansui 9090 information Kurt Tech 5 January 1st 05 06:42 PM
Diodes that do not ring make the DC quieter and thus lowers back ground noise Lou High End Audio 10 November 28th 03 07:08 PM
Problem: Sansui 9090 Protector Light Flashing Red Mark D. Zacharias Tech 2 August 1st 03 01:51 AM
Problem: Sansui 9090 Flashing red Protector Light [email protected] Tech 1 July 30th 03 01:52 PM