Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

Default what was that?

I have a preamp with a single digital audio coax input jack, that's one
female RCA type input... I had connected to that from my Computer's
sound-card's SPDIF output ,into which was plugged a 1/8" stereo 'mini'
plug-adaptortwo femal RCA ,one side of an RCA cable( the white
side) running from that adapter into the single coax/RCA input on the preamp
when while listening to a Wav file i heard a few short buzzzzzes coming from
over near the preamp. I went over and listend for it again . When i heard it
again a few moments later it was coming from the coax input itself right at
the plug/jack/ and stopped as soon as i pulled it out. What in the world is
going on , it was playing perfectly wonderfully till now.Is the impedence
of this cheapo RCA cable
incompatible so replacing it with a single 75 ohm coax cable will fix
this?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Chris" wrote ...
[...]

Termites? I can't imagine any electrical/electronic/mechanical
phenomenon that coudl cause such a thing.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote ...
[...]

in searching for the answer i found there was also a buzzing in my circuit
breaker box which stopped when i shut off an elecetric radiator i had
runing. I re tried the PCPreamp set up and so far so good, no bees in the
premap.... now to figure out why my building is wired so poorly or why
that electric radiator is causing the circuit breaker to hummmmmmmmm.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Chris" wrote ...
in searching for the answer i found there was also a buzzing in my
circuit
breaker box which stopped when i shut off an elecetric radiator i had
runing. I re tried the PCPreamp set up and so far so good, no bees in the
premap.... now to figure out why my building is wired so poorly or why
that electric radiator is causing the circuit breaker to hummmmmmmmm.

You don't have aluminum power wiring, do you?
I'd shut off the main breaker and go through and re-
tighten all the connections. That is a potentially serious
problem. Your house could be at risk of fire.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote ...
in searching for the answer i found there was also a buzzing in my
circuit
breaker box which stopped when i shut off an elecetric radiator i had
runing. I re tried the PCPreamp set up and so far so good, no bees in

the
premap.... now to figure out why my building is wired so poorly or why
that electric radiator is causing the circuit breaker to hummmmmmmmm.

You don't have aluminum power wiring, do you?
I'd shut off the main breaker and go through and re-
tighten all the connections. That is a potentially serious
problem. Your house could be at risk of fire.

I don't know what kind of wiring, its a condominium complex but i'll look
into it seriously ,Thanks for the info.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

Could it be cell phone interference?

Listen to:
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...-cellnoise.mp3

If that's what you heard, turn off your cell phone... My computer speakers
pick it up.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"Chris" wrote in message

in searching for the answer i found there was also a buzzing in my
circuit
breaker box which stopped when i shut off an elecetric radiator i had
runing. I re tried the PCPreamp set up and so far so good, no bees in the
premap.... now to figure out why my building is wired so poorly or why
that electric radiator is causing the circuit breaker to hummmmmmmmm.

Ah! The sound of a circuit breaker about to trip.

If the sound came only from the breaker, then most likely the breaker itself
is marginal, or just needed to be flipped off and then on again. Not a
hazard.

Now if the buzzing was coming out of your outlet or wall box -- not just
from the breaker -- then you DO have a problem, either a short or a
high-resistance connection at the point where the buzzing came from. That
may be a fire hazard.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

"Chris" wrote in message

in searching for the answer i found there was also a buzzing in my
circuit
breaker box which stopped when i shut off an elecetric radiator i had
runing. I re tried the PCPreamp set up and so far so good, no bees in the
premap.... now to figure out why my building is wired so poorly or why
that electric radiator is causing the circuit breaker to hummmmmmmmm.

Is the electric radiator (plus whatver else on that cct) drawing current to
the degree that the breaker is close to tripping ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

"Geoff@home" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

in searching for the answer i found there was also a buzzing in my
circuit
breaker box which stopped when i shut off an elecetric radiator i had
runing. I re tried the PCPreamp set up and so far so good, no bees in

the
premap.... now to figure out why my building is wired so poorly or why
that electric radiator is causing the circuit breaker to hummmmmmmmm.

Is the electric radiator (plus whatver else on that cct) drawing current

the degree that the breaker is close to tripping ?

geoff

the TV, Computer, 200 watt per channel power amp, CDPlayer/Preamp, Cable
box,VCR , another electric radiator and the lights are all handled with
this same breaker but i think i may have found the problem.The radiator was
connected with an extention cord and that had been spliced. It was a
grounded cord and i opened up where it had been taped together and each of
the three wires had been twisted and taped together, it must have been an
old ,old job and maybe there was contact. I took that cord out and plugged
the radiator back in by itself and after about a half hour of operation , no
buzz in the breaker and no return of the bees in the preamp.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

the TV, Computer, 200 watt per channel power amp, CDPlayer/Preamp, Cable
box,VCR , another electric radiator and the lights are all handled with
this same breaker but i think i may have found the problem.The radiator
was
connected with an extention cord and that had been spliced. It was a
grounded cord and i opened up where it had been taped together and each of
the three wires had been twisted and taped together, it must have been an
old ,old job and maybe there was contact. I took that cord out and
plugged
the radiator back in by itself and after about a half hour of operation ,
no
buzz in the breaker and no return of the bees in the preamp.

Congratulations -- you have saved your life and your house!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

"Chris" wrote in message

the TV, Computer, 200 watt per channel power amp, CDPlayer/Preamp, Cable
box,VCR , another electric radiator

How big is this breaker ?!!!

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"Geoff@home" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

the TV, Computer, 200 watt per channel power amp, CDPlayer/Preamp, Cable
box,VCR , another electric radiator

How big is this breaker ?!!!

The only really high power item there would be the radiator. Did he say he
had 2 of them on the same line? And what country is this in? (US, UK, or
elsewhere?)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

"mc" wrote in message
. ..

"Geoff@home" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

the TV, Computer, 200 watt per channel power amp, CDPlayer/Preamp,

Cable
box,VCR , another electric radiator

How big is this breaker ?!!!

The only really high power item there would be the radiator. Did he say

he
had 2 of them on the same line? And what country is this in? (US, UK, or
elsewhere?)

I have two yes one is a DeLonghi Magnum oil filled and the one that was
on the extention cord is a Bionaire which is just heating elements.They are
on different outlets but apprently wired inot the same breaker i disovered
when it tripped both were off.I don't know how big the breaker is i'm in a
Condominium complex and never asked when i moved in.Since removing that
extention cord with its 30 year old splced and tape job with cloth tape
everything has been normal.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article ,
Chris wrote:

I have two yes one is a DeLonghi Magnum oil filled and the one that was
on the extention cord is a Bionaire which is just heating elements.They are
on different outlets but apprently wired inot the same breaker i disovered
when it tripped both were off.

Most space heaters in the U.S. market seem to top out at 15 amperes.

Two of 'em on a 25-ampere circuit would probably trip it (although
perhaps not instantly). Two of 'em on a 30-ampere circuit would be
right on the edge.

I don't know how big the breaker is i'm in a
Condominium complex and never asked when i moved in.Since removing that
extention cord with its 30 year old splced and tape job with cloth tape
everything has been normal.

I'd recommend chopping up that cord and throwing the remaining bits in
the trash. Don't take the risk that someone, someday, might try to
use it again.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO