Posted to rec.audio.pro
eiasu eiasu is offline

Default lavalier mic for camera

Hallo,
iīm looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
itīs quite a task to deal with so many different models and i donīt
really understand the differences,
for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the īnormalīlavalier set, why?
I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,
it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?
Thank you
eiasu
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

iīm looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
itīs quite a task to deal with so many different models and i donīt
really understand the differences,
for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the īnormalīlavalier set, why?
I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,
it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?

You can interface just about anything to a Mic In socket on a video
camera. You may need just a suitable cable, maybe a bit more, a DI
box perhaps. Without knowing which camera you own it's impossible to
be more specific.

Radio mics come at all prices. Even the cheap ones can sound
remarkably good. You pay for one that sounds rather better, and for
greater reliability.

Just as each wired mic needs its own cable to the mixer, each radio
tramsmitter needs its own receiver. One receiver - one mic. Though
you can buy systems that mount two receivers in one box. I've only
seen them supplied with hand-held transmitters but they may well be
available with lavaliers as well.

(Before the pedants jump in, let me emphasise I'm NOT talking about
diversity receivers :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

On Dec 2, 6:35*am, eiasu wrote:
Hallo,
iīm looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
itīs quite a task to deal with so many different models and i donīt
really understand the differences,
for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the īnormalīlavalier set, why?
I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,
it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?
Thank you
eiasu

Awhile back, I bought a Sennheiser Evolution set for my TV studio from
B&H for about $600. It was ahit; everybody began fighting over it, and
I had to get two more sets. Give it a try.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

wrote in message
On Dec 2, 6:35 am, eiasu wrote:
Hallo,
iīm looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
itīs quite a task to deal with so many different models and i donīt
really understand the differences,
for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the īnormalīlavalier set, why?
I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,
it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?
Thank you
eiasu

Awhile back, I bought a Sennheiser Evolution set for my TV studio from
B&H for about $600. It was ahit; everybody began fighting over it, and
I had to get two more sets. Give it a try.

I have the sennheiser as well and am happy with it except for how fragile
the "me" capsules are, but they are cheap(100$)
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
eiasu eiasu is offline

You can interface just about anything to a Mic In socket on a video
camera. You may need just a suitable cable, maybe a bit more, a DI
box perhaps. Without knowing which camera you own it's impossible to
be more specific.

Radio mics come at all prices. Even the cheap ones can sound
remarkably good. You pay for one that sounds rather better, and for
greater reliability.

Just as each wired mic needs its own cable to the mixer, each radio
tramsmitter needs its own receiver. One receiver - one mic. Though
you can buy systems that mount two receivers in one box. I've only
seen them supplied with hand-held transmitters but they may well be
available with lavaliers as well.

(Before the pedants jump in, let me emphasise I'm NOT talking about
diversity receivers :-)

hallo,
thanks for the answer,
the camera is a
SONY N50 DVCAM
and it has 2 mic input with XLR connection,
and the same connection we have on the mixer that we also want to use
for music recording,
one model can can fit to our requests is this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_vide...ion_system.htm
but still i donīt know why this is much more expensive than other
lavalier set that are not labeled as "video mic"

thanx again
eiasu

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

eiasu wrote:
Hallo,
i=B4m looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
it=B4s quite a task to deal with so many different models and i don=B4t
really understand the differences,

What camera? Does it have a regular XLR input or not? I assume you
are talking about wireless mikes since you talk about receivers and
senders. What country are you in and what are the RF laws there?

for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the =B4normal=B4lavalier set, why?

Mostly because the receiver has to be very light and has to be battery
powered.

I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,

I wouldn't if you can avoid it. A wireless mike will always sound worse
than a comparable wired mike.

it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?

Not really, no.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
eiasu eiasu is offline

On Dec 2, 3:39 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
eiasu wrote:
Hallo,
i=B4m looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
it=B4s quite a task to deal with so many different models and i don=B4t
really understand the differences,

What camera? Does it have a regular XLR input or not? I assume you
are talking about wireless mikes since you talk about receivers and
senders. What country are you in and what are the RF laws there?

The camera is a Sony N50 and has XLR input
yes i am talking about wireless mikes
I am in Germany but i dont know the RF laws here

for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the =B4normal=B4lavalier set, why?

Mostly because the receiver has to be very light and has to be battery
powered.

I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,

I wouldn't if you can avoid it. A wireless mike will always sound worse
than a comparable wired mike.

it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?

Not really, no.

thank you for the answer
ciao
eiasu
Posted to rec.audio.pro

eiasu wrote:
Hallo,
i=B4m looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
it=B4s quite a task to deal with so many different models and i don=B4t
really understand the differences,

What camera? Does it have a regular XLR input or not? I assume you
are talking about wireless mikes since you talk about receivers and
senders. What country are you in and what are the RF laws there?

The camera is a Sony N50 and has XLR input
yes i am talking about wireless mikes
I am in Germany but i dont know the RF laws here

RF laws in Germany are pretty weird. If you are with a broadcaster, talk
to your local "frequenzkoordinator" about what channels you can use. You
will probably have to fill out paperwork for a government license if you
are not with a broadcast organization.

The Sennheiser website should have info on what bands are available there
and what paperwork is needed,

I suggest staying away from the cheap Samson junk. Consider as a minimum
the Sennheiser EK3241 with the SK303 transmitter and a good lavalier mike.
I like the Countryman lavalier mikes but you may find they are expensive in
Europe. Which lavalier you want depends a lot on where you are going to
mount it and what clothing the person is wearing, but the old Countryman
Isomax II is pretty versatile and if I had to own just one lav it would
probably be that.

The 3000-series Sennheisers aren't as clean as the Lectrosonics or the Vega
wireless gear, but they are a lot less expensive and they are still okay.

When you are using wireless systems, you are sharing bandwidth with everyone
else in the area, and so picking appropriate frequencies becomes very
important. The system reliability depends entirely on it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Dec 2, 4:35 am, eiasu wrote:
Hallo,
iīm looking for a lavalier mic set with receiver and sender compatible
with video camera,
itīs quite a task to deal with so many different models and i donīt
really understand the differences,
for example i can see in the catalog that the mic designed for camera
are much more expensive that
the īnormalīlavalier set, why?
I would also like to use the same lavalier mic set for music audio
recording for voice and instrument,
it is possible to connect more mics to the same transmitter/receiver?
Thank you
eiasu

The reason that systems that are designed to hook to a camera are more
expensive is that they must be battery powered and the component
packages must be made smaller. Big is easy, small isn't.

The cheap systems are generally garbage. Sennheiser, Shure,
Lectrosonics, and Sony are generally well made and well supported by
the respective manufacturers.

There are options in the microphones that can make a tremendous
difference in the quality of sound from the wireless units.
Countryman, Sennheiser, and DPA all make excellent clip on type
microphones.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:30:53 -0800 (PST), eiasu
wrote:

one model can can fit to our requests is this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_vide...ion_system.htm
but still i donīt know why this is much more expensive than other
lavalier set that are not labeled as "video mic"

It's actually rather less expensive than what I'd consider the
bottom-line professional quality systems - the cheaper Sennheisers.
Which admittedly don't have battery-powered receivers. Though their
low-voltage power requirement is something a professional video person
may be used to arranging in other ways.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

On Dec 2, 9:17*am, "George's Pro Sound Company"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 2, 6:35 am, eiasu wrote:

[...]

I also have a Lectrosonics ENG kit. I note that the Sennheiser uses a
NR scheme, while the Lectro does not. They sound very close, and the
Sennheiser is a fraction of the price.

I set up the Sennheiser receiver into a recorder and walked around the
block with the lav transmitter - lots of buildings and obstructions.
The S did very well, barely any droputs. Decent battery life, too. 2
new AA alkalines per unit, easily lasts several hours. Cost vs.
performance is very good so far.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

one model can can fit to our requests is this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_vide...ion_system.htm
but still i donīt know why this is much more expensive than other
lavalier set that are not labeled as "video mic"

It's actually rather less expensive than what I'd consider the
bottom-line professional quality systems - the cheaper Sennheisers.
Which admittedly don't have battery-powered receivers. Though their
low-voltage power requirement is something a professional video person
may be used to arranging in other ways.

Sennheiser does indeed have battery-powered receivers available. They
are very popular in the ENG market and in the low-end video production world.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
eiasu eiasu is offline

Thank you all for the answers,
now it is getting more clear,
we decided to buy the sennheiser freeport presentation set,
which german on line shop you can suggest me?
thomann does not sell this and all other shop they sell this for 149€
ciao
thanx
eiasu
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Karl Winkler Karl Winkler is offline

On Dec 2, 8:49*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

The 3000-series Sennheisers aren't as clean as the Lectrosonics or the Vega
wireless gear, but they are a lot less expensive and they are still okay.

Actually, the 3000-series equipment is more expensive per channel than
similar Lectrosonics equipment. Maybe you meant the Evolution
products? And Vega is long gone, by the way.

When you are using wireless systems, you are sharing bandwidth with everyone
else in the area, and so picking appropriate frequencies becomes very
important. *The system reliability depends entirely on it.

This we can agree on!

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 3, 10:56*am, Karl Winkler wrote:
On Dec 2, 8:49*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

The 3000-series Sennheisers aren't as clean as the Lectrosonics or the Vega
wireless gear, but they are a lot less expensive and they are still okay.

Actually, the 3000-series equipment is more expensive per channel than
similar Lectrosonics equipment. Maybe you meant the Evolution
products? And Vega is long gone, by the way.

When you are using wireless systems, you are sharing bandwidth with everyone
else in the area, and so picking appropriate frequencies becomes very
important. *The system reliability depends entirely on it.

This we can agree on!

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.http://www.lectrosonics.com

Nice to hear from you, Karl. You guys make great products. My Lectro
is my Rolls Royce, and the Sennheisers are just workhorse Fords.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Karl Winkler wrote:
On Dec 2, 8:49=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

The 3000-series Sennheisers aren't as clean as the Lectrosonics or the Ve=

ga
wireless gear, but they are a lot less expensive and they are still okay.

Actually, the 3000-series equipment is more expensive per channel than
similar Lectrosonics equipment. Maybe you meant the Evolution
products? And Vega is long gone, by the way.

Sheesh, things change. But no, I did mean the 3000-series... I have seen
nothing but trouble with the cheap Evolution series, mostly crossmod issues
with the receivers.