Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] littlejoeflub@yahoo.com is offline

Default realtime audio cd burning

Is there any freeware or inexpensive software that can do realtime
audio cd burning on a pc running windows xp professional or windows
2000 professional? We have an old Terapin that can burn audio cds as
well as vcds in realtime but it's odd shaped top makes it to
cumbersone to rack-mount it in our control room. Also due to its age
it's not a 100% reliable option to use for skimming.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

On Nov 11, 1:05 pm, wrote:
Is there any freeware or inexpensive software that can do realtime
audio cd burning on a pc running windows xp professional or windows
2000 professional? We have an old Terapin that can burn audio cds as
well as vcds in realtime but it's odd shaped top makes it to
cumbersone to rack-mount it in our control room. Also due to its age
it's not a 100% reliable option to use for skimming.

Why is this something you need? Are you running an analog mix system,
and recording to two-track for your Mix? My suggestion would be to
just record directly into a computer, then burn the WAV to a CD with
regular CD authoring software. Wavelab, Audacity, etc., lots of
options here.

What is it about real-time burn that makes you think it's a better
system? Just wondering...

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

Is there any freeware or inexpensive software that can do
realtime audio cd burning on a pc running windows xp
professional or windows 2000 professional? We have an
old Terapin that can burn audio cds as well as vcds in
realtime but it's odd shaped top makes it to cumbersone
to rack-mount it in our control room. Also due to its
age it's not a 100% reliable option to use for skimming.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...VD-Maker.shtml

NTI CD & DVD-Maker 7 claims:

"Record live audio to CD on the fly"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 11, 1:42*pm, coreybenson wrote:
On Nov 11, 1:05 pm, wrote:

Is there any freeware or inexpensive software that can do realtime
audio cd burning on a pc running windows xp professional or windows
2000 professional? *We have an old Terapin that can burn audio cds as
well as vcds in realtime but it's odd shaped top makes it to
cumbersone to rack-mount it in our control room. *Also due to its age
it's not a 100% reliable option to use for skimming.

Why is this something you need? Are you running an analog mix system,
and recording to two-track for your Mix? My suggestion would be to
just record directly into a computer, then burn the WAV to a CD with
regular CD authoring software. Wavelab, Audacity, etc., lots of
options here.

What is it about real-time burn that makes you think it's a better
system? Just wondering...

Corey

We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Strange, I am using MAM-A on a daily basis at 1X in my
hhb CDB-800.

Well, weekly on my CDB-830. We use standard TDK 52x cd media.

Try the discs that are specifically intended for low speed use. They are
more expensive, but you will find the error rate is much, much lower, by
more than an order of magnitude.

You can go even lower with the 74 minute media but sadly that stuff is
becoming very expensive now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

On Nov 11, 1:05 pm, wrote:

[...]

Get a rackmount standalone CD burner?

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Strange, I am using MAM-A on a daily basis at 1X in my
hhb CDB-800.

Well, weekly on my CDB-830. We use standard TDK 52x cd
media.

Try the discs that are specifically intended for low
speed use. They are more expensive, but you will find
the error rate is much, much lower, by more than an order
of magnitude.

I use low speed discs for festivals, but for this application which is
basically spoken word...

You can go even lower with the 74 minute media but sadly
that stuff is becoming very expensive now.

I generally get close to or run over 74 minutes in this application.

The point is that those of us who use stand-alone audio CD recorders are
pretty much stuck at burning at 1X, and it still works, even with common
high speed media.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

Technical complexity isn't always helpful. g

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

This is true, but the long-term costs of the CD recorder are going to be
lower. I haven't had to install patches on one yet.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

Technical complexity isn't always helpful. g

But apparently you have to pay a premium to avoid it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

This is true, but the long-term costs of the CD recorder are going to be
lower. I haven't had to install patches on one yet.

Patches generally don't cost any $$. In fact a patch that allows
reliable use with high-speed discs sounds like a good idea to me.
Who says that you actually have to burn the data in (1x) real-time?
Store the data in 5 minute (or whatever) chunks in memory, and
then write the data to the disk at the disk's optimal write speed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

coreybenson wrote:

Why is this something you need?

Can't you just accept it? It's a simple request, unfortunately not one
that has a good answer. I think there's a program from the Diamond Cut
Pro people that does it, but it's not free, and I'm not sure it even
still exists. It's not a trivial job.

What is it about real-time burn that makes you think it's a better
system? Just wondering...

Saves time at the end of the show. If you want to hand a CD to the
artist somebody who should be coiling cables, packing up the computer,
and carrying speaker cabinets out to the truck has to screw with the
computer to make the CD. By which time the artist has probably left.

Real time CD recorders are getting pretty cheap now that everyone (else)
wants to do it with a computer or wants to skip the CDs and just make
MP3 files. It's the easiest solution, but again, not free unless you're
lucky.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:
This probably isn't going to happen if only because there's no CD
media made today suitable for 1X burning.

Strange, I am using MAM-A on a daily basis at 1X in my hhb CDB-800.

I've been having 100% success with Taiyo Yudens on my TASCAM CD-RW5000
which is many years old. However, I've been told that they have no more
drives for it, and it uses special firmware so it can't be replaced by a
computer store commodity drive. And even if you could, I'm not sure how
easy it is to buy a CD-RW drive any more. I'm sure there's a web store
that has some old stock, and there are still some new products that use
them (Flash memory to CD burners, for instance) but I don't think I've
seen a CD-only writer in stock at Micro Center for a year or more.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.
Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

This is true, but the long-term costs of the CD recorder are going to be
lower. I haven't had to install patches on one yet.
--scott

You can't beat the price of my CD recorder - it came free
with the computer. No patching required...

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"hank alrich" wrote...

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

Technical complexity isn't always helpful. g

But apparently you have to pay a premium to avoid it.

Absolutely, and you have since the beginning of mass production. It's
easy to get a console with every feature known to mankind, but if you
want a console without any inserts and any aux busses you're going to
have to pay a premium for it. In the computer world it's even worse
because adding features often just means adding software, and an awful
lot of products sold today are really just embedded computers in disguise.

Just try and buy a car with a manual transmission today. You'll pay
extra for it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

coreybenson wrote:

Why is this something you need?

Can't you just accept it? It's a simple request, unfortunately not one
that has a good answer. I think there's a program from the Diamond Cut
Pro people that does it, but it's not free, and I'm not sure it even
still exists. It's not a trivial job.

What is it about real-time burn that makes you think it's a better
system? Just wondering...

Saves time at the end of the show. If you want to hand a CD to the
artist somebody who should be coiling cables, packing up the computer,
and carrying speaker cabinets out to the truck has to screw with the
computer to make the CD. By which time the artist has probably left.

I carried the HHB to SR gigs for a long time, just to be able to hand
the artist a recording of their show. Show ends, I punch the box to
finalize the disk and start breaking down the stage. The artist packs
their instruments and kit, talks with audience members, and at some
point in that process I walk up and hand over the recording.

No need to haul a computer, which would have necessitated more van
space, more setup and tear-down time, and far more of my attention. I
used the recorder for pre-show and intermission music, too.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
wrote:
We currently use Adobe Audition to roll skimmer files during live
shows but a realtime cd burner would give us the ability to give a
guest a copy of their appearance immediately without having to stop
the skimmer file, save it, wait for it to burn, and restart the adobe
file. The need is more for speed, time, and convenience than quality.

Why not use an outboard CD recorder? It's a little more expensive, but
it frees your computer up.

You can buy a pretty nice complete computer (or two) for what one
of those CD recorders sells for. An excellent example of pricing
dependent on volume with no correlation to technical complexity.

Technical complexity isn't always helpful. g

But apparently you have to pay a premium to avoid it.

Sometimes it's worth it, to me. In general what I wind up saving is my
own time, which is worth something to me.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 01:16:56 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

In another year, you'll be able to hand him/her a little
widget with a headphone jack (and USB), for not much cost.

Damn, I'm good. I merely think up something, and not only
is it a done deal, but it's magically already in production.
My genius astounds even me! :

http://www.usb007.com/mp3-md300.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

...snip...

This is true, but the long-term costs of the CD recorder are going to be
lower. I haven't had to install patches on one yet.

Hmmm, I have. Also had to install a patch on my
DVD recorder, and I had to replace a firmware
chip on one of my mini disc recorders too.

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

In another year, you'll be able to hand him/her a little
widget with a headphone jack (and USB), for not much cost.

Damn, I'm good. I merely think up something, and not only
is it a done deal, but it's magically already in production.
My genius astounds even me! :

http://www.usb007.com/mp3-md300.htm

You're a head of your times.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:38:26 -0800, (hank alrich)
wrote:

You're a head of your times.

We're the heads of the Pin trust.

Shoes for Industry, Compadre,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

TOP SECRET - NOT TO BE READ ALOUD:

Shoes for Industry, Compadre,

Shoes for the Dead
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

In another year, you'll be able to hand him/her a little
widget with a headphone jack (and USB), for not much cost.

Maybe, but then he'll need an adapter or cable (or new car) if he wants
to listen to it on the drive home. These days you pretty much have to
give them a CD. I haven't had a cassette player in a rental car for a
couple of years now, though my own car is still old enough to have one
along with the CD player.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:58:34 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:05:52 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Is there any freeware or inexpensive software that can do realtime
audio cd burning on a pc running windows xp professional or windows
2000 professional? We have an old Terapin that can burn audio cds as
well as vcds in realtime but it's odd shaped top makes it to
cumbersone to rack-mount it in our control room. Also due to its age
it's not a 100% reliable option to use for skimming.

This probably isn't going to happen if only because there's no CD
media made today suitable for 1X burning.

Strange, I am using MAM-A on a daily basis at 1X in my hhb CDB-800.
--scott

Scott, et al,

I did hear from HHB and they showed me where the TEST spot inside the 800
was. I put the 800 into test mode, and then reset it and it came back up
fine.

Strangely, the problematic CD that wouldn't finalize or come out shows the
setup info but no audio was actually recorded. The only symptom was that the
disc took longer than usual to setup.

Two subsequent real-time records on the deck with TY blanks have been fine. I
think it was the media....or the moon.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demos
http://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

I did hear from HHB and they showed me where the TEST spot inside the 800
was. I put the 800 into test mode, and then reset it and it came back up
fine.

Neat! I have not seen this. Does it display logged codes or anything?

Strangely, the problematic CD that wouldn't finalize or come out shows the
setup info but no audio was actually recorded. The only symptom was that the
disc took longer than usual to setup.

Two subsequent real-time records on the deck with TY blanks have been fine. I
think it was the media....or the moon.

What was the original disc you used again? I have not heard of any weird
things happening like this at all, so you are a bold pioneer....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton Mike Clayton is offline

hank alrich wrote:
I carried the HHB to SR gigs for a long time, just to be able to hand
the artist a recording of their show. Show ends, I punch the box to
finalize the disk and start breaking down the stage. The artist packs
their instruments and kit, talks with audience members, and at some
point in that process I walk up and hand over the recording.

No need to haul a computer, which would have necessitated more van
space, more setup and tear-down time, and far more of my attention. I
used the recorder for pre-show and intermission music, too.

This is what I do too, except that my CD recorder is a Tascam. I set up
my recording software so that the recorder is fed via its SPDIF port,
press record as the artists hit the stage and insert track markers on
the fly as the show progresses. I always change the disc at interval.
Finalising takes 1 minute and 11 seconds.

Hank and I have developed this technique independently, but as far as
I'm concerned you are all free to use it without having to pay me a
licence fee! Hank may have other thoughts

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 11, 6:57 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
coreybenson wrote:

Why is this something you need?

Can't you just accept it? It's a simple request, unfortunately not one
that has a good answer. I think there's a program from the Diamond Cut
Pro people that does it, but it's not free, and I'm not sure it even
still exists. It's not a trivial job.

Mike, Scott, Hank, and anyone else suggesting a standalone CD
Recorder:

This was the solution I put in place at the church I did a sound-
install in. Marantz, I forget the model number. VERY highly rated in
the industry rags at the time.

That damn thing was a freaking nightmare. Issues:

1. If you leave it in Rec mode, waiting for the start of the "show"
for longer than 60 seconds, it would SOMETIMES pop itself out of Rec
mode. Then, when you pressed Record, it would tell you to Wait, while
it Initialized, a process that could take any amount of time from 30
seconds to 5 minutes. THEN it would let you record... OR, spit out the
CDR and say "Please insert blank CDR."

2. Press Record. Records for 72 seconds... stops, kicks out the CDR
and says "Please insert blank CDR."

3. Record the entire "show" - Press stop. Wait 1-5 minutes. Press
Finalize. Kicks out the CDR and says "Please insert blank CDR." I was
SOMETIMES able to take these CDR's home, do a bit-by-bit copy into my
DAW, and put out a finalized CDR. Sometimes... probably 1 in 3 times?

Those were the issues that occurred regularly. It was also incredibly
finicky about the media we could use, but I've experienced that with
computer-based burners as well.

Mike, I didn't realize the OP was talking about burning CD's at a
show. I thought it was in a recording studio situation... I'm glad I
asked, though, because then everyone else had a better understanding
of the needs.

By the way, we replaced the Marantz under warrantee twice, then had it
repaired, then put in a Tascam, then replaced that with an HHB. I
think the HHB is working well now, but that was an $800 solution.
Yikes! I didn't help with that purchase... I think I could have gotten
a better price, but who's to say, right?

However, I do agree it's probably the best solution for the specified
use. Just get one that WORKS. :-)

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"coreybenson" wrote in message

However, I do agree it's probably the best solution for
the specified use. Just get one that WORKS. :-)

Of the various brands of stand-alone audio CD recorders I use for festivals,
etc., my favorite is a Tascam.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:40:29 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:

I did hear from HHB and they showed me where the TEST spot inside the 800
was. I put the 800 into test mode, and then reset it and it came back up
fine.

Neat! I have not seen this. Does it display logged codes or anything?

I was more concerned about dislodging the disc and getting the 800 to reboot
to notice.

Strangely, the problematic CD that wouldn't finalize or come out shows the
setup info but no audio was actually recorded. The only symptom was that
the
disc took longer than usual to setup.

Two subsequent real-time records on the deck with TY blanks have been fine.
think it was the media....or the moon.

What was the original disc you used again? I have not heard of any weird
things happening like this at all, so you are a bold pioneer....
--scott

Memorex -- "for recording music", supplied by my client. And the weird thing
was, I had problems with two blanks right next to each other from the same
stack, one in each CD recorder, mine and an RCA. I'm thinkin' it was the
media.

When you pop the hood, look in from the front to the board on the right side,
just behind the front panel. I'm uploading a jpg of the board now to my
server. The file is called CDR800TestMode.jpg.

There are two larger than average traces with the words "Test Mode" right on
the circuit board. POwer down, short the traces and power up with them
shorted.

It should get up there later today.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
coreybenson wrote:

[...]

I got a Microboards CopyWriter live. It's the only two tray
disk spanning unit I've seen. Pop in two blanks, hit record
and when disk #1 is full it switches over to disk #2.
Pop a new blank in tray #1 and it will switch back when #2 is
full. It will loop as long as you keep feeding it blanks. It has
a buffer so there's an over lap on swaps so nothing gets lost.

The OS did fail once and I did need to install an updated
OS to get it back up, but it's been fine since then.

However, after the crash I got an ADAT hard drive recorder
that I use as a primary and use the CopyWriter for musician's
CDs.

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

The point is that those of us who use stand-alone audio CD recorders
are pretty much stuck at burning at 1X, and it still works, even with
common high speed media.

However burning at 2 x realtime gets you home quicker.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

The point is that those of us who use stand-alone audio CD recorders
are pretty much stuck at burning at 1X, and it still works, even with
common high speed media.

However burning at 2 x realtime gets you home quicker.

Not in the case I described. The disc is recorded while the show's going
on, and finalized well before I have the SR system loaded-out.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

hank alrich wrote:
geoff wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

The point is that those of us who use stand-alone audio CD recorders
are pretty much stuck at burning at 1X, and it still works, even
with common high speed media.

However burning at 2 x realtime gets you home quicker.

Not in the case I described. The disc is recorded while the show's
going on, and finalized well before I have the SR system loaded-out.

But if you loaded out at 4 x realtime, then you could be finished and away
before the act has even finished playing, and have their CDs duplicated and
printed for them to present at their finale.

geoff.